Bench Grafts planted in final resting place?

Jordan Selsor

5 year old buck +
Anyone ever plant their grafts in the spot they intend to grow them for all eternity?
I am considering doing this and tubing them with 48” slit tubes so I can remove tubes for maintenance. Could cage the ones that take next yr. This is at my home orchard where I can tend to them regularly. If some don’t take I can fill in the blanks over time.

I think they'll do just fine. I have a bed I grow them in at my home, but only so I can give them more attention than I could 75 miles away at the farm.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

For smaller numbers, planting out works fine if you have good access to them.

I planted out all my first grafts on my parent's farm, a 2 hour drive from my house. I might have bench grafted 50 that first year and planted out a bunch of rootstock to be t-budded that August or field grafted the next year. It was great for all those that took. It was less great to track and manage those that didn't take to make sure they got regrafted. My 2nd year I started a couple raised nursery beds in the back yard. That made watching, inspecting, and babying them much easier. I transplant when I feel like it or have time in the fall or spring whenever the ground isn't frozen.

The first year I grafted and planted 25 in there final spots, and about 40 in a nursery. The month of July was completely dry and I only managed to get water to the orchard twice, whereas I could water the nursery whenever it needed it. I lost about half of the ones in the orchard. I replaced them with ones from the nursery.

After 2 years the nursery transplants had 2 or 3 feet on the trees who spent both years in the orchard. Now all my grafts go into the nursery unless their final spot is somewhere I can give them complete care when needed.

I plant a lot of mine in the final location and use a quarter inch mesh tube with a tree tube inside of it. The tree tube is open on the north side. Easy to see if you need to remove tube/ mesh to weed or cut tape from grafting.

Tapatalk cut me off on pictures for the month and pictures are too big to post via paper clip.

It’s the same device I plant seeds in.

New month, maybe I can post a few pictures in a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The first year I grafted and planted 25 in there final spots, and about 40 in a nursery. The month of July was completely dry and I only managed to get water to the orchard twice, whereas I could water the nursery whenever it needed it. I lost about half of the ones in the orchard. I replaced them with ones from the nursery.

After 2 years the nursery transplants had 2 or 3 feet on the trees who spent both years in the orchard. Now all my grafts go into the nursery unless their final spot is somewhere I can give them complete care when needed.
Great feedback! Thank you! This is why I always ask on here before I run with my wild ideas! Lol

I would put a chicken wire cylinder around them, but personally I wouldnt tube them. If you can baby them they should be just fine.
Think the tubes will cook them Chris? Plus not enough ventilation etc?

I am grafting a bunch this year and was planning on putting them in my garden box. It is just garden soil but do you put anything under or around the roots to limit their spreading? Just wondering how they come out without damaging the roots a year later.

I plant nearly all of my bench grafts where I want them in the field. I had some chestnuts in our fence garden once, but the mice/voles got a bunch of them. The ones in the field have done very well overall. I can usually check on them a couple times during the growing season though. I put a few inches of window screen on the bottom right away. I also fence them in right away with welded wire. I’ve tubed some apples over the years, but they tend to get spindly and top heavy requiring more staking. Pruning can also get a little more difficult for a few years with the tubes on. They like to send addition shoots up the tube behind the central leader. There are pros and cons with tubes and regular fencing.

I have had good luck using 2’ tubes on rootstock I grafted in the field. Gives good protection down low and then I cage once they reach top of the tube.

I have had good luck using 2’ tubes on rootstock I grafted in the field. Gives good protection down low and then I cage once they reach top of the tube.
Shorter tubes makes since. Wouldn’t get as hot. Better ventilation... I have some 3ft tubes. May give those a try. Will chicken wire cage some and garden grow others!

8a2cf0e4a04ca73a92159e05c62ff208.jpg

The grafting stars seem to be aligning for me this year! I went with a raised bed for majority of bench grafts but did plant a couple in final locations at my home orchard. Raised bed grafts are looking better thus far. Super Excited for many of these varieties:) Limbertwigs make me smile!
35D0C267-180D-4DCA-97CC-3221D1FE2D52.jpeg
6E462E21-A826-4A26-9686-E13848809B69.jpeg
4BD3D6B6-FE38-4499-967B-DC4C5BC11CE0.jpeg

Looks promising Jordan! Nice job.

You've got this down to a science Jordan. Ditto T.C.

My bench grafts are in there final resting spots, except for one attempted root graft that went to the garden.
fb1a2f501dfae6cac422c80d6da8704d.jpg

Took an inventory of grafts that appeared to take this ev. Sure am excited about these varieties:) Anyone know anything about Easer Green? I may have written down wrong.

May queen
Etter gold
Betsy deaton
Tull
Hooples Gold
Etter gold
Yates
Gold rush
King David
Red rebel
Ark Beauty
Reaser green