Bear with collar

MA VT Flatlander

5 year old buck +
Had a bear with a radio collar on it in my yard. Walked across my yard went behind my garage and started to come down my sidewalk. Went to get my camera and the bear was gone when I got back. To many bears around here.

My camp is planting 2 acres of corn within the next week. The camp next to ours also planted 2 acres to corn. Want to guess who we're gonna have in for supper ??:mad: I expect lots of pix on the cams.

On Saturday afternoon I saw 4 different bears (a 225lb sow with 2 yearling cubs, and 250+lb boar) about 1/4 mile up the road from my house in the back yard of a neighbor that "feeds deer and turkey's". I had been seeing another smaller sow with 3 yearling cubs at the same place recently as well. Plenty of reports of bears all over town this spring!

Ah yes. Food....lots and lots of food. Then romance in June. Bears need lovin too.

Mass. biologist checking bear dens

Our State wildlife agency is using our 2 camp properties ( post #2 ) to trap and transfer a PILE of bears to Minn., Wisc., Mich., Ind., Neb., Mo., Iowa, so you guys get to enjoy more wildlife. NH Mtns. and MA VT Flatlander have agreed to chip in and send some of their bears as well. I wish I could see the smiling faces when the bears arrive !! :D

Our State wildlife agency is using our 2 camp properties ( post #2 ) to trap and transfer a PILE of bears to Minn., Wisc., Mich., Ind., Neb., Mo., Iowa, so you guys get to enjoy more wildlife. NH Mtns. and MA VT Flatlander have agreed to chip in and send some of their bears as well. I wish I could see the smiling faces when the bears arrive !! :D
send those PGC boys up here to mildred.....there is a pile of bears in town this year! An employee of mine that lives right in the center of town found a HUGE bear tooth in his yard on Sunday AM...along with huge clumps of fur and the lawn was torn up and laid flat. Apparently he had an epic bear brawl in his yard Saturday night! the tooth was broken below the gum line and had gum still attached to the tooth.

Mass Wildlife says we need to adapt to the bears. I think the bear population needs to be to be reduced some. We went from around 100 bears to over 4000 bears. why? because the state passed a referendum ballot question back in the 90's banning dogs from bear hunting.

We can't get a bear tag in my area for 10 years. Found out mom and all her cubs made it through winter.

2015 Bear & CubsSmall.jpg

If there's a way to do damage .......... they'll find it.

We can't get a bear tag in my area for 10 years. Found out mom and all her cubs made it through winter.

View attachment 5121
Yeah, it would be great if the DNR would just admit that there are about 3 times more bears than what they actually own up to, a guy might not have to worry about waiting for a tag. The population is growing, and they just limp along with the same old rhetoric. Same issues counting bears as they had with counting deer for years apparently. Some areas should just sell tags over the counter.

I wish we could hunt them during our deer archery season here. Many within 15 ft. of my ladders over the seasons.

We have 17 days in September and 18 days in November here in Massachusetts to hunt bear. Not many people hunt them.

3 days here in Pa. - around Nov. 20th ( might run out of bears !!!:rolleyes: )

Yep - we only get 3 days - a Saturday, Monday & Tuesday. Wednesday if bad weather on any of the previous days. We have more bears than they claim, with bear damage reports and people encounters / too close to homes reports rising each year. You'd think with all the early deer seasons with various weapons we have ( albeit with lower deer numbers than they claim ), the PGC would allow archery hunting for bear concurrent with regular deer archery season. NOPE.

Mass Wildlife board voted to extend bear hunting concurrent with the shotgun season for deer. Not sure when it starts my guess is next year.

Yep - we only get 3 days - a Saturday, Monday & Tuesday. Wednesday if bad weather on any of the previous days. We have more bears than they claim, with bear damage reports and people encounters / too close to homes reports rising each year. You'd think with all the early deer seasons with various weapons we have ( albeit with lower deer numbers than they claim ), the PGC would allow archery hunting for bear concurrent with regular deer archery season. NOPE.
In my WMU (3B) we have 5 days of archery starting the monday after the last saturday of archery for deer, then we have a 4 day rifle season (saturday, monday, tuesday, wednesday) before thanksgiving and then we have 5 days of rifle concurrent with the first 5 days of rifle deer season. So we have 14 total days in November.

You're right, Phil. I forgot about the new archery bear - after archery/deer season. I'm not sure about the 5 day concurrent season with rifle deer season where I'm at. I just wish archery bear was concurrent with archery deer season. That way we could possibly get a couple before they get to all the apples so we have more winter droppers for the deer. We always see a bunch of bear in archery deer season. I may have to get a license for the archery bear this year.

That's a great program! You did not read the fine print on the second part of the program. For every bear you send our way, we send 10 wolves back!
Please send me a picture of your smiling faces when the wolves arrive!

We will accept dead bears. Please make sure the meat is vacuum packed and frozen. Too bad wolves are fully protected, but you will enjoy them.

You're right, Phil. I forgot about the new archery bear - after archery/deer season. I'm not sure about the 5 day concurrent season with rifle deer season where I'm at. I just wish archery bear was concurrent with archery deer season. That way we could possibly get a couple before they get to all the apples so we have more winter droppers for the deer. We always see a bunch of bear in archery deer season. I may have to get a license for the archery bear this year.
Yep....I agree we need to have at least the last week of early deer archery open for bear as well. That's traditionally when I and many others that have seen bears on stand while deer hunting.