All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battery Tender's and....

foggy

5 year old buck +
After being gone for a few months, I checked out my tractor and gear at my deer property shed. I put battery tender jr.'s on all of my batteries for the past few years. EVERYTHING I own fired right up. My tractor, UTV, ATV, Car, 6 boat batteries - all in good working condition. All the tires are up too! - no flats or low air pressure. Yowser!

THOSE BATTERY TENDER JR'S ARE THE REAL DEAL.....and have worked well for several years now.

Had a few downed trees to move yesterday.....but it's almost spooky how well everything operates and is ready to go. :) (knock on wood)

.....only problem is I had a frozen sewer line from my house to the septic tank (which was frozen too.) Luckily the water (from the furnace) had not seeped over the top of my shower floor pan. No damage to the house. An hour's time with steam jets by the sewer-man.....and I'm back in business. Life is good. :) I'm going back to "Airizony" until it warms up more tho. ;)

What do you mean?!?!?! It was 84 in da' cities yesterday!

It's a great feeling when things work as advertised. The little triple solar panel kit I put on my deer shack did a great job of keeping my batteries charged all winter too. Nice to just walk in and flip the switch.

Sometimes Foggy, that goin south for the winter is risky business though. My parent had their septic freeze with no damage, their furnace went out once with no damage, but when their furnace would not shut off things went bad. 20 below outside and it was 120 degrees in the NW corner of a basement bedroom. Literally "cooked" the house. 17k worth of damage. Make sure you have someone checking your house occasionally. Have fun down there!

^ ouch Satch. Yep, in the future, we plan to have a "house checker" on a weekly basis. We had some work being done here in Jan / Feb.....so we decided to forego the checking for March - BIG MISTAKE.

Another thing that has proven to be worth it's weight in gold.....is a product called: FLUID FILM. You gotta look for it. (find it at your John Deere Dealer - or online.) That product is just amazing. Even when you apply it....it "effervesces" almost like magic. I've bragged on this product here before....but I saw it's results again yesterday.

Fluid Film is amazing stuff. Spray it on battery terminals or hydraulic cylinders and they are ABSOLUTELY protected from corrosion....even when out in the weather. I put it on my golf cart battery terminals and it ENDED problems with corrosion (and I had lots of problems before the application). Also coated my snow plow hydraulic cylinders for two seasons now and have no corrosion despite them sitting out in the weather. I'm told folks undercoat their cars with the stuff and it ends corrosion problems. Lots of other uses too.

Obviously I'm sold on the stuff. Spend $10 on a can....use it on tough applications.....and you will be sold too! (no I am in no-way connected with FF - it's just a great product!.....and I like to promote good stuff.)

Love those battery tenders. Before I had mine I would "try" to remember to hook all my batteries to a charger once a month or so during the winter. Got busy and forgot more than once, and lost a couple batteries to discharge/freeze damage. Now everything that doesn't get used during the winter goes on the tender.

I used to pull the battery out of my UTV at the end of the season. Finally got smart and just plug it in now right in the machine. Love my battery tenders. Awesome.

It's a great feeling when things work as advertised. The little triple solar panel kit I put on my deer shack did a great job of keeping my batteries charged all winter too. Nice to just walk in and flip the switch.

Sometimes Foggy, that goin south for the winter is risky business though. My parent had their septic freeze with no damage, their furnace went out once with no damage, but when their furnace would not shut off things went bad. 20 below outside and it was 120 degrees in the NW corner of a basement bedroom. Literally "cooked" the house. 17k worth of damage. Make sure you have someone checking your house occasionally. Have fun down there!

Please tell me more about the solar charger. Where did you get it from? And I guess it has a float charge so you don't fry the battery?

Foggy,
Thanks for the fluid film tip. I'll to try it on my aluminum intake and polished carb. May keep,them from getting that white corrosion.

Battery tenders are the cats meow. I've used them for years on the Bike.

Please tell me more about the solar charger. Where did you get it from? And I guess it has a float charge so you don't fry the battery?

Three panel kit from Menards. Comes with a 7 amp charge controller to shut it down when batteries are charged.

Three panel kit from Menards. Comes with a 7 amp charge controller to shut it down when batteries are charged.

Thanks!