Barn price bump

Barn is ordered. 30x50 with 12' front door, 10' back door drive-through, an 8x8 side door for wife, and regular door. Should be installed in 30-60 days. I've used this group before (Carolina Carports), as have some of my colleagues, and I have always been impressed with the build time and quality-for-price...this will take no more than two days once they start. Now I need to get the site prep done!! Time to schedule a few vacation days. Installed price $20,295.00 due to the addition of the side 8x8 roller door my wife wanted.
That seems to be a really good price... What kinda flooring? I see a 20 ft shipping container in my future for my tools and a side by side. The tractor will need to live under the lean shed I want to tear for now. The barn would cost a lot more, and I'd have to deal with taxes.

Wood or steel frame building? I was considering putting up a new 60x64 all steel shop on the new farm last year but prices where ridiculous at the time maybe I need to make some new inquires on building packages.

I built a 40 x 96 with 13' lean-to down the long side, 3 overhead doors, all concrete floor in 2008 for $30K in materials. A buddy and I built it ourselves...

That seems to be a really good price... What kinda flooring? I see a 20 ft shipping container in my future for my tools and a side by side. The tractor will need to live under the lean shed I want to tear for now. The barn would cost a lot more, and I'd have to deal with taxes.
Gravel floor. It is a steel frame construction that will be used for primarily for camper, tractor and implement storage, along with an area for my wife’s goats and barn cats to get out of the weather.

I beam or steel web truss?

Been putting off redecking the large porch sections around my house and resheathing a unfinished garage from the previous owner.

Pressure treated decking seemed to not change much since last year. Think I am going to use CDX 11/32 and it was $28 a sheet. Basic clay colored siding lookd to stay the same snce last year too.

Automotive market.........

Debating two routes. Either replacing my economy car for a new one, or keeping it alive for a few years and buying a fun car for the garage. Saw a nice 2013 challenger with a 5.7 for $20k, or maybe that toyota GR86. I used to race SCCA and 1/4 mile in the late 90's early 2000's. Still do club and parking lot SCCA around road cones with whatever I have.

The GR86 used cost more than new ones. about 5k more. Most economy cars I have looked at are about 3-5k over msrp. I drive by a subaru dealership with "low stock". They park their new cars in a lot on back street a few blocks away....

I drive a little over 100 mile round trip and somedays even frther to be at remote sites. I got a whopping 2% raise this year.

I went truck shopping 2 weeks ago, I was looking for a new(er) 1 ton diesel. For about 17 seconds I was convinced I needed one. Even a 6 yo truck with 100,000 miles they wanted $70,000 for. I went back home and got reacquainted with my old truck.

I went truck shopping 2 weeks ago, I was looking for a new(er) 1 ton diesel. For about 17 seconds I was convinced I needed one. Even a 6 yo truck with 100,000 miles they wanted $70,000 for. I went back home and got reacquainted with my old truck.
Same. 4 year old 3/4 ton diesel with 80,000 miles was $65k.

Feel I got a touch lucky in the truck market. Summer of 2021, my 2004 ram 1500 passed ispection, but a rust hole showed up in the frame. Ran great 154k miles. Did the 3.5 hour tri to camp no issues on the highway.

Got $3500 for that at the dealer. Bought a 2019 ram 1500 5.7 4 door for $33k with 25k miles. New firestone A/T tires, clean car. Had signs it was well kept. Right after that, stuff started to climb in price..

I've had diesel trucks since the 2000 or so my last is an 08 that I'm babying because it will be my last one. Two big negatives for me on all diesel pickups these days. one is the price. The second is they made them so stinking big I don't want one. Who wants to overhand throw crap into the back of a truck...

I've had diesel trucks since the 2000 or so my last is an 08 that I'm babying because it will be my last one. Two big negatives for me on all diesel pickups these days. one is the price. The second is they made them so stinking big I don't want one. Who wants to overhand throw crap into the back of a truck...
I drive roughly 60 miles one way to where I work, I have an f150 right now that is fine. But, its getting a lot of miles on it obviously and having bought another piece of property down the road from my main piece I want to be able to move equipment there. I just want to find a diesel that has equal fuel mileage to my f150, 19 average. Leaning toward the ram 2500. The dang f250’s are stupid expensive

Gravel floor. It is a steel frame construction that will be used for primarily for camper, tractor and implement storage, along with an area for my wife’s goats and barn cats to get out of the weather.
With gravel floor, is there any way to keep it rodent proof where the walls meet the ground?

The only thing I want a 1 ton diesel for is hauling vehicles on a trailer, and when I rent a mini excavator, I don’t need to try to find someone to haul it for me. But honestly I haul a truck maybe a few times a year, and about every other year hauling a mini excavator. It’s a lot of money to blow for those few times.

I flip vehicles, and when a good deal is found, you have to pretty much have the trailer hooked to the truck and cash in hand in order to get the deals now days.

I have a half ton now, and it does good with suvs, and cars. But trucks I have to load them backwards or I am dragging my bumper. As for renting a mini and hauling it, they won’t let it leave their lot hooked to a half ton.

The only thing I want a 1 ton diesel for is hauling vehicles on a trailer, and when I rent a mini excavator, I don’t need to try to find someone to haul it for me. But honestly I haul a truck maybe a few times a year, and about every other year hauling a mini excavator. It’s a lot of money to blow for those few times.

I flip vehicles, and when a good deal is found, you have to pretty much have the trailer hooked to the truck and cash in hand in order to get the deals now days.

I have a half ton now, and it does good with suvs, and cars. But trucks I have to load them backwards or I am dragging my bumper. As for renting a mini and hauling it, they won’t let it leave their lot hooked to a half ton.
Couple of these and some glue or 2 sided auto tape, good to go for hauling that mini ex rental.

I bought a F-250 diesel crew cab brand new in 2020 for 54k. Nothing fancy, just a work truck but looking at current prices I think I could probably sell it for 55-56k. Lol

As far as 1/2 tons pulling. They do just fine nowadays. The most important thing is good trailer brakes and maybe a helper spring or add a leaf. I pull 10-12 k with my 2019 Tundra regularly and it does just fine.

Attachments

• 7FEBF87F-356E-49A4-990B-284E5EA8259F.jpeg
    7FEBF87F-356E-49A4-990B-284E5EA8259F.jpeg
    11.9 KB · Views: 9
With gravel floor, is there any way to keep it rodent proof where the walls meet the ground?
Barn cats. If there are paw prints on tractor, there is a good chance there are no mouse nests in the engine or intake.

Couple of these and some glue or 2 sided auto tape, good to go for hauling that mini ex rental.

I bought a F-250 diesel crew cab brand new in 2020 for 54k. Nothing fancy, just a work truck but looking at current prices I think I could probably sell it for 55-56k. Lol

As far as 1/2 tons pulling. They do just fine nowadays. The most important thing is good trailer brakes and maybe a helper spring or add a leaf. I pull 10-12 k with my 2019 Tundra regularly and it does just fine.
I agree 1/2 tons can do a good job. I rented a 102x26 Doolittle BruteForce 16,000 GVWR "Bumper Pull" trailer to haul the John Deere 3020 with loader (10.5K) with no issues across the state (300 miles). That was likely a much larger load than a mini-ex. The rental company required I had a proper hitch (factory receiver/ 2.5" ball with drop/rise and trailer brakes). While a diesel would have been nice, my 1/2 ton did the job admirably. I also tow a travel trailer and my John Deere 3 series with loader and implements frequently with a 10K trailer.

Barn cats. If there are paw prints on tractor, there is a good chance there are no mouse nests in the engine or intake.
My application would be 2.5 hrs away, so cats not an option.

Lol rodent proof! I have two that have poured concrete floors and this is what I still deal with
View attachment 52777
That's nasty. I used to use bucket traps. Switched to bait stations with bar bait. 2 or 3 around the outside of my cabin and no more mice inside, takes care of the chipmunks at home too.