Barn price bump

bjseiler

5 year old buck +
Morton quote in October 2020 for a 45x75 barn was $161K (no electric or site prep but it would have been a nice setup). I decided to hold off because I did not like the idea of having to wait 8 months...... Updated quote yesterday $253K.....and still looking at December. Mostly cited labor charges but also things like the insulated doors doubling in price. I have a hard time believing that price will come down much in the next two years unless there are massive layoffs and people start needing those $15/hour jobs again. Dang.

That is obscene

That very thing delayed my retirement. Fortunately, they had just purchased the supplies for my barn when COVID hit (https://habitat-talk.com/index.php?threads/new-barn.11326/). We put 530 sq ft of living space in it that will eventually be guest bedrooms when we build the house. Our plan to was to retire at the end of the year, move into that 500 sq ft, sell our current house, and use the money to build. With both labor and materials being so high and with the delays and unavailability of some items, we decided to wait another year (at least).

Instead, we decided to upgrade the barn this year. I'll post updates to the thread linked above.

Thanks,

jack

This is precisely why interest rates need to rise significantly. If this keeps going we're all going to be dirt poor multi-millionaires.

When the Zimbabweans were starving to death, they were 100 hundred trillionaires.

Morton quote in October 2020 for a 45x75 barn was $161K (no electric or site prep but it would have been a nice setup). I decided to hold off because I did not like the idea of having to wait 8 months...... Updated quote yesterday $253K.....and still looking at December. Mostly cited labor charges but also things like the insulated doors doubling in price. I have a hard time believing that price will come down much in the next two years unless there are massive layoffs and people start needing those $15/hour jobs again. Dang.

Doesn't sound that bad the way material prices are shooting up. Don't expect prices to be coming down soon. I do think the increasing mortgage rates may slow things down, but demand is so high and people are spending money like crazy

Regarding labor, read the Career Advice thread. When people are demanding 20, 30, & 40% raises, and getting them, someone has to pay those costs...usually the consumer.

wage/price spiral

Our home insurance is going up $350 this year. The replacement cost on our 2 bed, 1 bath small ranch home has climbed $37k.

I don;'t think any thing will have costs drop for the next few yrs, its all going to just keep rising,
builders and those that are giving quotes for months out jobs ,(heck even a few weeks out prices are changing almost daily on many items)
so they can get screwed real easy in these current times,

just look at fuel prices, all the more so, Diesel fuel prices
as its trucks that haul everything to stores and sites
current diesel in my area is any where from $6.50- $7.30 a gall, last week it was $5.50, over a dollar jump in a week>
them added costs will start hitting stores and consumers, going to get scary costly I fear
farming planting seasons kicking in with a all time highest fuel costs(fertilizer costs ) in history !~
going to be one strange costly summer if you ask me and maybe worse come fall! if some thing doesn;t change! IMO!~

Lumber prices have supposedly dropped ? Will we see if that is actually the case ?

Last edited:
I just am building a 40x50 for my company and Morton while they make a good barn are running at least 30% higher.I bet there are other companies that will give you a better price.just compare how they do post and other things you like about the Morton

That is in-line with what I found as well when we built.

Our home insurance is going up $350 this year. The replacement cost on our 2 bed, 1 bath small ranch home has climbed $37k.
yes!! Just gout our new home policy today. 23% increase year over year on our cost on the policy.

Lumber prices have supposedly dropped ? Will we see if that is actually the case ?
Not where I shop. $13 for an 8' treated 2x4. $74 for a sheet of 1/2" treated plywood. That was last weekend.

I ended up pretty lucky with my new barn, locked in the quote with a local lumber yard a few months ago and all said and done it came in under the estimate when finished. Morton and a couple others were 10%-25% higher on their estimates on same thing.

Not where I shop. $13 for an 8' treated 2x4. $74 for a sheet of 1/2" treated plywood. That was last weekend.

I’m referring to lumber price per board foot on the exchange . That’s supposed to correlate?8D4AB945-9D5D-49BA-B44C-0A9977CDEFE1.png

I’m referring to lumber price per board foot on the exchange . That’s supposed to correlate?View attachment 42968
Some things are dropping but we just got a roofing increase and concrete is up and on allocation. I would welcome a 6 month crash to just help everything correct but I’m not sure 6 months would do it.