Barn price bump

I’m referring to lumber price per board foot on the exchange . That’s supposed to correlate?
I would imagine after the overpriced stuff is worked through the system. The air is coming out of the Home Depot as of late. I hopped off at $300, and I never imagined I'd let it go, but I did. What's interesting is the yield on the 10-year is jumping all over the place. Just a few days ago it was 3.15%, this morning it's back to 2.82%. The fed is boxed in, and both ways forward are bad and worse. It'll be interesting to see if they've got the guts to push rates higher and collapse the economy, or if they chicken out and let inflation collapse the economy.

I can relate to the crazy pricing times we are now going through. I can remember selling building products back in the 70's / 80's when we got some of the initial inflation shocks.....much was due to the Arab Oil Embargo and the first hard inlfationary times I experienced. Lots of shock....maybe similar to now. The mantra was "buy before the price goes up".....and that idea worked IF YOU COULD AFFORD IT.....and it also killed some folks that tried to grow on borrowed money. Hard to get your arms around what is / was going on for many of us. Interest Rates shot to 20% in order to get inflation under control. And mortgage rates got to somewhere around 15%...IIRC. ......and that worked - finally - after allot of shock and awe. Likely a few other of the older guys here can relate?

I retired some 15+ years ago with twice the amount I thought we would need to live through a time like this (potentially)......and now I am not so sure twice what was needed is enough? It's goofy when you cannot plan....that is for certain. Supposedly we "pass" all the Monte Carlo scenarios for retirees......but I am never to sure about such things. Records are made to be broken. :emoji_wink:

Back to prior experiences: I can remember buying and selling aluminum and other building products back then....and all our prices were "price in effect at time of shipment". Nobody could forecast prices it seemed. Housing prices about doubled in 5 years, etc. Much like now. It ended up shuttering many plants that were thriving a few years prior. Lots of wreckage from hyper inflation.

It's going to take some time to get to the other side of this debacle.....and our government has got to come to grips with our problems in this area. Like so many things, our government is the problem....not the solution. Lots of speculators got skinned....but few won (thinking of speculators and investments). Keep your head on. My 2 cents.

Accelerating home values & material costs, rising interest rates, and inflation. Starting to look a bit like the run up to the 2008 recession/housing market crash. Some different drivers/issues, but over valued home prices were a big part.

Heard an economist analyst say yesterday that if mortgage rates hit 7%, the housing market could crash by up to 40%. With the Fed having to raise prime rates again to try and quell inflation, and mortgage at around 5%, going to be a very interesting ride next 12-18 months.

Time to strap on the chin straps and put in the nut cup boys ... :emoji_wink:

Last edited:
A week ago I was convinced I was going out and buying a $40,000 tractor, and financing about half of it. Now, I dont want to spend my cash, or take on any debt. So I am going to wait things out a bit. Even though JD, and Kubota each have 0% financing right now.

A week ago I was convinced I was going out and buying a $40,000 tractor, and financing about half of it. Now, I dont want to spend my cash, or take on any debt. So I am going to wait things out a bit. Even though JD, and Kubota each have 0% financing right now.

Hard to not finance the entire thing @ 0% with the way inflation is going.

Do yourself a favor and figure out if you could save 20% on a new kubota with this program. https://www.kubotausa.com/finance/special-offers/detail/2020-equine-membership-purchasing-program I would have looked into it closer if I knew about it before my purchase.

Seems odd. When I go into stores (Verison and kubota) lately....they are both PUSHING to 0% down and no interest for two years. I can pay cash.....but why are they giving me no % incentives to buy on payments? I am too old to borrow money.

A lot of times if you take the 0% interest deal they make you buy their insurance coverage to cover the loan if the equipment gets devalued. You pay no interest but pay 800 for insurance

Hard to not finance the entire thing @ 0% with the way inflation is going.

Do yourself a favor and figure out if you could save 20% on a new kubota with this program. https://www.kubotausa.com/finance/special-offers/detail/2020-equine-membership-purchasing-program I would have looked into it closer if I knew about it before my purchase.
With this offer, if it applies, now I really want to go and order one. Thanks! I think, lol

7/16” OSB $43 at Home Depot here. It had reached a high of $53 eighteen months ago, and six or eight months had fallen back to mid $20’s. Back up to $43. It was around $7 before the china flu.

Shop around. I just got a quote for a 30x50 (14’ tall) metal barn installed with 12’ doors on both ends and a walk in door on the side for just under $20K. No insulation, and I have to do the site prep, but this company has made two other buildings for me and I have been very pleased with the product. With gravel, I anticipate $24K total, and will put in a small solar system for lights and keeping implement batteries good. The other nice part is that when it goes up, it will be finished in two days.

I also just priced some new tractors—John Deere is at $34K for a new 2022 5045e (MFWD with loader) and $50K for a new 2022 model 5055e but with a cab. Those are some steep discounts off MSRP, plus I am getting more than I paid for my 3025e should I decided to make the trade. However, I can only do one of the above (the tractor or the barn), so I am leaning toward the barn.

Shop around. I just got a quote for a 30x50 (14’ tall) metal barn installed with 12’ doors on both ends and a walk in door on the side for just under $20K. No insulation, and I have to do the site prep, but this company has made two other buildings for me and I have been very pleased with the product. With gravel, I anticipate $24K total, and will put in a small solar system for lights and keeping implement batteries good. The other nice part is that when it goes up, it will be finished in two days.

I also just priced some new tractors—John Deere is at $34K for a new 2022 5045e (MFWD with loader) and $50K for a new 2022 model 5055e but with a cab. Those are some steep discounts off MSRP, plus I am getting more than I paid for my 3025e should I decided to make the trade. However, I can only do one of the above (the tractor or the barn), so I am leaning toward the barn.

I like the sounds of those prices!

I’ve got that 5055e and it’s nice but honestly I like my 5205 open rops better. If I had big fields to plant or mow the 55 would be great but it’s a handful on smaller stuff, plus I like being out in the open personally.
And if I had to choose between barn or tractor I’d take the barn all day long and twice on Sunday.
09B3CCFA-BD57-4BDD-BAB0-9673C59EC02A.jpeg

Reactions: 356
I’ve got that 5055e and it’s nice but honestly I like my 5205 open rops better. If I had big fields to plant or mow the 55 would be great but it’s a handful on smaller stuff, plus I like being out in the open personally.
And if I had to choose between barn or tractor I’d take the barn all day long and twice on Sunday.
Thank you! I had a little concern the 5055e might be too big for the day to day use--I really like the size of the 3 series, and I have a JD diesel 3020 ag tractor with a loader for the larger tasks. I think I may go ahead and pull the trigger on a barn :-) Time to talk to my wife about it....

Thank you! I had a little concern the 5055e might be too big for the day to day use--I really like the size of the 3 series, and I have a JD diesel 3020 ag tractor with a loader for the larger tasks. I think I may go ahead and pull the trigger on a barn :-) Time to talk to my wife about it....
Update: Wife said yes to the barn :-)

Barn is ordered. 30x50 with 12' front door, 10' back door drive-through, an 8x8 side door for wife, and regular door. Should be installed in 30-60 days. I've used this group before (Carolina Carports), as have some of my colleagues, and I have always been impressed with the build time and quality-for-price...this will take no more than two days once they start. Now I need to get the site prep done!! Time to schedule a few vacation days. Installed price $20,295.00 due to the addition of the side 8x8 roller door my wife wanted.

Screenshot 2023-05-11 at 2.52.41 PM.png

Barn is ordered. 30x50 with 12' front door, 10' back door drive-through, an 8x8 side door for wife, and regular door. Should be installed in 30-60 days. I've used this group before (Carolina Carports), as have some of my colleagues, and I have always been impressed with the build time and quality-for-price...this will take no more than two days once they start. Now I need to get the site prep done!! Time to schedule a few vacation days. Installed price $20,295.00 due to the addition of the side 8x8 roller door my wife wanted.

View attachment 52594

That makes me want to abandon my shipping container tractor storage plan..

Morton quote in October 2020 for a 45x75 barn was $161K (no electric or site prep but it would have been a nice setup). I decided to hold off because I did not like the idea of having to wait 8 months...... Updated quote yesterday $253K.....and still looking at December. Mostly cited labor charges but also things like the insulated doors doubling in price. I have a hard time believing that price will come down much in the next two years unless there are massive layoffs and people start needing those $15/hour jobs again. Dang.
Your post just cost me a lot of money :-) Actually, thanks....I needed to get a barn in, and the timing was right.

I just bought a 10x16 shed and jd x330. Cash for both- just because of inflation…. Thanks Biden