Barley to crimp

matinc

5 year old buck +
Curious if anyone has spring planted barley to crimp in the fall. If so what spring planting date, how high does it grow and how long is the growing season. Ty

I’ve done winter barley a few times and it worked well. I’ve never planted spring barley.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Curious if anyone has spring planted barley to crimp in the fall. If so what spring planting date, how high does it grow and how long is the growing season. Ty
I don't think it'd make it to fall. I've done spring forage barley a few times, and the deer ate it all before August 1st, couldn't even find the straw.

You can plant barley as soon as you can get in and get done. Soon as your temps stay above 25, I'd be planting.

Different varieties will reach different heights. It's not a big biomass producer. It's niche is speed to maturity and ability to tolerate drought. If you're looking for something to roll, you may want to try conventional spring wheat or a spring triticale instead. They'd go longer, produce more duff, and not get eaten so readily.