ATV rake

nchunter1989

5 year old buck +
Hi guys,

I'm trying to find a decent atv rake I can use to clear out the slash & bush hog debris from my plots. I've seen several wheeled rakes but they are $500+. And the other ones are designed to work with a 1 point system-impact implements,kolphin & dirt works.

Has anyone found a simple rake that will mount to a 2inch receiver? Or should I just try to plant rye on these areas & let it go?

IMG_0425.JPGIMG_0449.JPG

Just to show y'all what I'm dealing with. I know perfect world would be a tractor or skid steer with a root rake but that isn't in the budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I bought what was called a pine straw rake for my tractor to help clear thatch around fire breaks.It helps but I will find a regular hay rake and that will be better for that but what you are trying to do that would be great.Problem with trying to do on a ATV is that tines are made so that when you increase the angle raising it the debris falls off.I don't know how you would raise.Another option would be a 1 section of a harrow even if you pulled backwards it would drag alot of that but you would have to flip off to clear

I bought what was called a pine straw rake for my tractor to help clear thatch around fire breaks.It helps but I will find a regular hay rake and that will be better for that but what you are trying to do that would be great.Problem with trying to do on a ATV is that tines are made so that when you increase the angle raising it the debris falls off.I don't know how you would raise.Another option would be a 1 section of a harrow even if you pulled backwards it would drag alot of that but you would have to flip off to clear

Yeah I know sportsmans guide has a pine straw rake like that. I have an old tine harrow, but the spikes pop flat & it clogs real quick. Not the lightest to pick up either.

I may try a mat style drag..

google pine straw rake for atv,I came up with about 10 choices

do you happen to have a snow plow for your atv??
if so, I would use that>
any decent rock rake/landscape rake will NOT be cheap.
But I wouldn;t leave it AS is, as at some point your most likely going to mow it and them bigger things can be dangerous to you or your equipment, plus will make for lesser takes as it will NOT let things grow under all the debris there!
NOW another option, if you have any neighbors or your own kids, you can bribe them to pick things up and off the site, them young in's don't have as far to the ground to bend over, or bad backs yet!
and for a a few bucks an hr, they can get a LOT done, maybe faster and cheaper than BUYING a good or even a JUNK rake!

HEY< I know I have had kids do like work for me over the yrs, bribe em I say! LOL

do you happen to have a snow plow for your atv??
if so, I would use that>
any decent rock rake/landscape rake will NOT be cheap.
But I wouldn;t leave it AS is, as at some point your most likely going to mow it and them bigger things can be dangerous to you or your equipment, plus will make for lesser takes as it will NOT let things grow under all the debris there!
NOW another option, if you have any neighbors or your own kids, you can bribe them to pick things up and off the site, them young in's don't have as far to the ground to bend over, or bad backs yet!
and for a a few bucks an hr, they can get a LOT done, maybe faster and cheaper than BUYING a good or even a JUNK rake!

HEY< I know I have had kids do like work for me over the yrs, bribe em I say! LOL

Yeah I wish I had kids to send out there.lol. I've been looking at the pine straw rakes or even dethatchers, just wasn't sure if they were study enough. But guess I can't complain for the price.

Yeah I wish I had kids to send out there.lol. I've been looking at the pine straw rakes or even dethatchers, just wasn't sure if they were study enough. But guess I can't complain for the price.

"Hey honey. I really need some help cleaning up my food plots. Maybe it IS time we start expanding the family."

You could always make one. Just remember you need axial movement to account for uneven ground.

utf-8BSU1BRzAwOTUuanBn.jpg

You could always make one. Just remember you need axial movement to account for uneven ground.

utf-8BSU1BRzAwOTUuanBn.jpg

Do you have the tubing going into the hitch? How does it attach?

It's got a 2x2" draw bar just like a hitch would, then that has a vertical hinge joint for elevation. On the rake side of the elevation pivot arm it's got a tubular pivot for yaw. The rear winch makes the whole thing effortless and extremely efficient. Drive into your starting spot, drop the rake, go until you want/need to stop, lift rake and all the crap drops off the tines right there, then you reposition and repeat.

The funny part about my rear winch was that I installed it to make self-recovery out of my swamp easier back before I had a functional trail (used to go "swimming" for a bit before reaching more solid muck in the middle of the 250' swamp crossing), but I've used it way more to anchor the atv to then use my more powerful front winch to pull over snagged and back-leaning trees. It's like a self-adjusting lanyard out the back.

What's really ironic is that I could put that rake into the hitch receiver on my skidding winch on the tractor and use it on that with the same function - just need to route the winch clutch rope up to the ROPS. Or I can just use my root grapple. :)

Actually, for pine straw the atv rake would probably make the tractor look bad. It does real well with leaves too. I don't know if I have $50 in it. The tines were the most expensive part.

if I was going to make one, I would add wheels to the outside edges on both sides, so you could adjust HOW high you want it on the ground, as if ONLY gravity controls it, it can grab things that can STOP the atv, or damage the implement(say a good root or big rock or??

also having the ability to ANGLE the rake, like adjusting the angle on a snow plow, you can also, rake things to one side and keep it going that way.

you can use 1/2 inch rebar to make tines too, a little heat and they will bend rather easy, even without heat ??, can bend them over an old Tele pole to get the same angle on all of them too!

Height is controlled via winch. I opted not to angle, and the tines are springy - no rebar I've ever encountered is springy. If you encounter the stub of a tree you cut off, you don't want to hold it with force or you might have more damage than one bent up tine.

yes height can Be adjusted with the winch IF the ground was perfectly level> but as you go up and down small bump's and such that height will change due to it isn't addjusted at the RAKE itself

as for them tines bending if you encounter things, YES and NO
think of spring tooth harrow's<
there NOT designed to SPRING off, like weak tines, and there made that way on purpose,
NOT trying to argue here or the likes, just saying
having wheels at the rake control height the WHOLE time your going, and adjusted right it will KEEP the tines from digging in and MAYBE grabbing a more solid object

look at Landscape type rakes, they will drag rocks and debris, and are HD tine'd, to do so, and have the height adjustable.

A pine rake, if great for raking LIGHT debris, NOT bigger heavy things, and NOT having angle., will add MORE resistance to what your pulling, then less, due to being angled, it allows for some to be kicked out to the side if needed, rather than just building a BIG pile in front of the rake

re bar will BEND if you hit something solid, if you stay at 1/2 inch or less, but will again HOLD and drag rocks, and larger things like what it seems he has laying down now!

Ideally what he maybe needs is a loader with a ROCK bucket on it to sift out dirt , yet remove the litter on the ground!
(see link
http://www.melecioattachments.com/shop-2/rock-bucket-utility/ )

I've played with a bunch of things like this over the yrs, for just what he is looking to do??
so, I'm just adding my 2 cents of experience with them?
NO harm meant here!

$600 isn't all that horrible of price given the design for the DR.

yeah price isn;t cheap, and again I think one can be made rather easy if you have the means, BUT in the food plot game, WHAT is cheap any more, or the world for that matter??
cheap tends to be junk, these days more often than not, UNLESS you make it yourself?

But like all things, when buying, you sort of have to look at them as investments, as if your getting into food plots NOW< over the next many yrs, you will use a tool like this again, and each time, it will seem like costs less than it did and save a LOT of work and time getting things done,
BUT it take c are of it, and odds are it will last a LONG time, if made right!
I am using many farm implements from the 60's, that work great yet, and just sold my 1948 tractor, that ran like a clock, super reliable machine, never had a ounce of problems with.
again IF made right and care for things can last a LONG time

far too many folks use and abuse things these days, and OH SO, many makers caught on, that far too many don't care and BUY again as they destroy things
so they(many) make stuff cheesy as they can and still get folks to buy, and keep buying!
they add new decals or colors and options NOT really needed and then marketing seems to open wallets these days, more then a company's rep of making LONG lasting solid items!
as them shinny objects seem to sell to modern folks faster them , OLD ways of making QUALITY be the top of the list.
now its about gadgets if you ask me>

Sorry on the rant, I just hate seeing so much JUNK made today with over priced tags, and idiots buying them like there GREAT!
and NOT a clue what LONG life of sa product really SHOULD BE!