article on the MN apple program

Maybe there is not a market for it, but I would like to see them evaluate a few trees for hardiness and prolonged drop times aimed at feeding the deer thru noirthern Mn. winters and not at the human palate. I tried to reach him with an email a few years ago, but no reply.

Maybe there is not a market for it, but I would like to see them evaluate a few trees for hardiness and prolonged drop times aimed at feeding the deer thru noirthern Mn. winters and not at the human palate. I tried to reach him with an email a few years ago, but no reply.
Well said! I'd buy that.

I saw Sweet Tango apples in our local super market in NH for the first time last week. Selling at $2.99 a pound. Honeycrisp were at $2.59. The wife bought pears instead. I may try them next time.
We had Sweet Tango for $1.49 a pound and Honeycrisp were $2.99. I bought 3 bags of the Sweet Tango, best apple I have ever had. Kids ate them like candy. Unfortunately the store only got one shipment of them. They only had them for one week and have not had any since and it was probably close to two months ago.

Maybe someone who's chummy with a commercial grower could prune some of the club trees to get jailbroke offspring?

I wish I knew someone in the U's agriculture department. Snipping some scions would be too easy. :)

There are a number of grocery store varieties that will hit the market soon or at least could. The problem as I see it now is that the apple development programs have to slow down the release of new varieties otherwise they dont get much bang for their buck. If you release more than 1 or 2 a year then you saturate the market and decrease the impact of any one particular variety. Apple varieties are kind of like "Dunstan Chestnuts", big hype for a while and then they fade and the next one takes over to run its course.

I doubt there is enough interest to spend the time, money, and land space to develop a food plotters apple. That is probably where the "wild" apples up north would rule. Finding and propagating exsisting apples that are growing wild that serve your needs is probably a more feasible approach.

If Auburn can patent and release chestnut cultivars for wildlife, it surely could be done for apples too. While the apple researchers are focused on commercial, there has to be somebody who knows apples that likes deer hunting. Pair them with deer biologists and see what happens. It could be a small pet project with a shoestring budget.

The key is to avoid grafting and to piggyback on existing work. While seedlings are a possibility, the result is too variable. I would look at modern rootstocks which are already well studied, were selected for disease resistance, and are propagated in high volume at low cost. Info on fruiting is limited but I am sure the rootstock researchers know more than they publish because their customers do not care. I have found published data on a few rootstocks. I have already been thinking about this rootstock approach for part of my deer orchard.

I am "apple stupid" for the most part, so bare with me here. Apples from seed are variable, so given that fact, would one be able to take a "wild" tree root sprout and have it be a clone of the parent tree? Since it is not coming from a seed that may have had variable pollinators, and is coming directly from the roots of a tree with known attributes, would it not stand to reason that the child tree would be an exact clone of the parent? Not saying one could or couldn't do this with "known" rootstocks, but as wildlife managers, when you have a wild tree with known traits that you would like to propagate, would this be a viable option to grafting scions from the parent tree?

Assuming it was not a grafted tree, any root sprouts are the same as the tree. The sprout can then be propagated by stool beds just like rootstocks are.

Assuming it was not a grafted tree, any root sprouts are the same as the tree. The sprout can then be propagated by stool beds just like rootstocks are.
Yes, this is what I was thinking. Not a grafted tree, only "wild" type trees that have known deer/wildlife friendly attributes, such as late drop times or ones that grow in specific conditions, such as the "swamp" crab that sandbur has on his place.

Any graft from knowen tree will produce a clone of the parent , the reason seeds from apples may or may not produce anything resembling the parent is because of pollen from uncontrolled sources think bee vists from multiple trees ect , the seeds contain that dna mix and may make an apple or might not , and might be great or chances are a dud , If I remember correctly the u of m screens many thousands of intentional crosses to achieve one marketable Honeycrisp type apple and the process takes many years with thousands of failures . The apples being released today have been in their orchards for at least 15 to 20 years
That part I do understand wooduck, I was strictly looking at non grafted "wild" type trees and a way to propagate them without grafting. I'm sure grafting to a known, disease resistant rootstock is still the quickest to fruiting and safest(less failures) way to a good producing apple tree, be the scions a commercial variety or a "wild" type, but it seems this is a viable option to the whole grafting thing if one has any trees that fit the bill.

Thanks for the answers by the way!

That part I do understand wooduck, I was strictly looking at non grafted "wild" type trees and a way to propagate them without grafting. I'm sure grafting to a known, disease resistant rootstock is still the quickest to fruiting and safest(less failures) way to a good producing apple tree, be the scions a commercial variety or a "wild" type, but it seems this is a viable option to the whole grafting thing if one has any trees that fit the bill.

Viable option possibly, best option not unless the parent tree produces suckers prolifically. Grafting is not a difficult process, especially on a small scale project such as reproducing a small number of a individual tree. There are a number of reasons commercially available root stock is not propagated by root cuttings.

Propagation of known good wild deer apples is a good approach but still would be considerable work to clone and propagate like rootstocks are. All you know right now is it is a good tree for that location. What you don't know is how it behaves everywhere else. How does it do on different soils, climates, disease resistance, is it easy to propagate by stool beds, etc. Those things have all been studied for rootstocks used in the big multistate grower trials.

Of course any apple tree can also be propagated by grafting to avoid some of these issues. It just makes for expensive trees unless you can do the grafting yourself.

I almost suggested organizing our own research effort but, really, what would be the goal? For grafting, there are more varieties that are available and work for both me and deer than I have room to plant. I know when they flower, drop, disease resistance, cold hardiness, etc. All I dislike is paying $15-$20 a tree for a bare root grafted tree. I intend to learn grafting so I can reduce the cost of filling out my orchard. But once I have enough varieties for eating and cider, I don't really need more grafted trees. If I could plant rootstock for $2-3 each and get a specific result for deer, I'd be excited at that cost without having to do my own grafting.

I would be more interested in a co-op study on persimmons.

I have gown some apple trees from root suckers and from a piece of root. I just takes patience. I have a graft from a wild crab that Stu supplied and it took. Can be done.

Somewhere in here is a thread on Zone 3 apples for deer. We struggle with hardiness in the northland. I feel some of the prairie crab apples/apples from North Dakota and the old Canadian prairie apple projects are a good place to start.

Here a lot of talk in other portions of this site about coops for deer management how about a coop of apple cultivars and and sharing of information on what works and who has what so that information could be shared easily and scion wood shared so that the habitat guys don't have to depend on university programs , and guess which will work and which wont . a data base of sorts to get information easily and at the right time get some grafting wood , That way all of us do not have to reinvent the wheel individually and don't have to own all those trees to try them . Maybe ?

Back on the "other" site we had a scion exchange thread and I would venture a guess that we will here as well. Maybe we could make it into more of a "sticky" type post where guys and gals can list their varieties and more of the growth type details of how that variety has performed at their location. A post that would stay at the top so information is readily accessible. Some of us already have trees that were the result of exchanges with other forum members so we could have some information regarding certain trees in multiple locations. CrazyEd did a great job of compiling the threads covering major topics regarding apple production on the "other" site mabe at some point he will feel inclined to do it again!o_O

Anything that gives root suckers should readily be propagated by stool bed. In stool beds, the tree is allowed to get the roots established first. Then the tree is cut off at ground level to encourage suckering. Sawdust or sand is piled up as the suckers grow to encourage root formation. Next spring, pull back the sawdust, cut off the suckers and plant. Repeat year after year.

Last edited:
MHN, Thanks for the video post...;) I'm going to give it a try!

If your looking for any jailbreak controlled release apples wont happen , pretty tight lock on that the growers wont let anything loose as they have exclusive rights to the apple and don't want to see any rogues not in their best interest. ag dept. employees would be risking their career in their hands. I have to ask I have read here and other places this same statement why do you want that apple is it because someone said no or is it because its forbidden fruit , these are the laws of the society we all live in comply with the laws or work to change them . Really no different than game laws we all follow ect ( not making any statements about anyone ) just want some that think along these lines to evaluate their motives if this was your exclusive apple and built a business around this you would let the tree go after paying your price of admission

The problem is that we've paid for all this research via taxes and the university is running it as a business. If you take public money to run these programs, your results should be public property. Just my opinion on research schools.

Looking deeper, it appears that any MN grower can get rights to the UofM's cultivars. I'm not sure what that entails, but I wouldn't want them as a commercial option, only because the Sweetango's sound good and it'd be nice to have a tree or two.

Hey guys, I just looked at some apple trees that have been producing for years in a COLD northern Pa. mountain valley. I took some pix and I have to get my neighbor to help me put them on here for you guys to see. I stopped to ask if I can get some scion wood in the spring, but nobody home. I'll stop again next week when I get back upstate. I mentioned this attempt by me to get scion wood on another thread ( I don't remember which one ). These trees still have apples hanging on them as of today, Dec. 3rd. If they tell me I can get scion in the spring, I'll ship some to a few of you guys if you'd like. I just need to be told how to pack & preserve them, how long to cut them, do I cut IN last year's growth or just below it in 2 yr. old wood. I'll do some research on that stuff, but welcome any advice. I'm even gonna try grafting just because these trees have a good number of apples still hanging. If they can survive all those years in that freezer of a valley, they should make a good deer apple. Anyone interested, if they become available?

How cold is cold to you? We had some nights with -30's last winter.