Are Groundhog Radishes Worth the money

Worth it is subjective. If deer won't eat other brassicas, they will oftentimes eat radishes. Radishes grow better in less than ideal soil (sandy, low OM) than other brassicas IME. Radishes have shorter maturity dates than other brassicas and therefore could be planted later and still get a crop. Radishes are better "soil miners" than other brassicas. Radishes can be used to break up hardpan.

It all depends on what you're using them for and why

Good point.....considering soil/fertility benefit....radish can save you money...3-5 lb radish seed in a mix of your choice....more than economical...who cares if deer eat them?...very easy to terminate!

In mid April I added some GHFR to a rye plot that was planted thin last fall. The intent was to utilize some of the leftover radish seed I had to provide a bit of browse but more as a soil builder/cover crop for a couple months. The radishes germinated and I put up an exclusion cage over numerous plants. Towards the end of May, about 6 weeks after seeding, the radishes were still barely 3" tall. I didn't get back until last week to check on them. They are now gone, including every one of them that was in the exclusion cage :eek:. It looks like I never planted them. I don't know what happened to them but I will not be frost seeding radishes again anytime soon.

I started planting them with turnips and rape 4 years ago. The radishes have been an excellent addition. Deer in my area eat almost anything but certainly radishes are the excellent for my soil. The tubers they grow are amazing. High nitrogen fertilizer is not necesary but there will be noticeably increased growth with proper fertilization. Highly recommend!

Radish is heavily used on my place, deer browse the leaf starting in late summer and then the root in November.

I think they are a good addition to a mix like the LC mix.