April Fools

Bowman

5 year old buck +
Here we go again. The avatar was last year. Two more weeks to go, if the weatherman is right. I was getting ready to get started with some frost seeding, but that is on hold and I have to cut some wood. Now I am looking at 5-8 inches on Tuesday. I am really thinking about winter carryover. I have not yet grown great brassicas yet, but that is a priority now. I have some alfalfa started and thought that a thick stand would help. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• April Fools 2018.jpg
    April Fools 2018.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 38
Here we go again. The avatar was last year. Two more weeks to go, if the weatherman is right. I was getting ready to get started with some frost seeding, but that is on hold and I have to cut some wood. Now I am looking at 5-8 inches on Tuesday. I am really thinking about winter carryover. I have not yet grown great brassicas yet, but that is a priority now. I have some alfalfa started and thought that a thick stand would help. Any suggestions?
I'm a little south of you and we don't have the snow but still have the colder temps, looking at the extended forecast and it's 4/12 before we are over 50 deg. This last week I tubed some acorns and had a hard time getting the stakes in, I had to move a couple because of the frost.

Upper 40's to around 50 for the next 10 days here in S.E. Pa. Camp in the northern mountains will def. be cooler.

i read this article and it made me think about growing more winter carryover. https://www.qdma.com/provide-emergency-winter-deer-food/
So if March is tough, I have to consider April. To any northern guys, how are your brassicas being used. Before the snow, I had a little green rye, not too much height, really none. So I am open for suggestions.

We just got 10" of snow Friday, and it's not even going to break above freezing in the next week. :emoji_angry:

That makes plowing 10+ inches of snow as first order of business for every trip up North for the past month. I'm beyond sick of it!

My brassicas have been covered in 2+ feet of snow for the entire winter. The deer cant find it.

Bowman ........... post #4 - Our brassicas at camp have been used every winter the last 3 years. We haven't had REALLY deep snow there for extended periods, but the deer have found them. Members commented on the amount of digging in the brassica plots. Tracks, droppings were everywhere, along with chewed radish and turnip bulbs.

Our winter rye got snipped off almost to soil level. Even at 1 1/2" to 3" tall - it was eaten. They hit it ALL too !!

Far northern areas with deep snow and crust for long periods may be different than our situation.

I have one plot planted with alfalfa, clovers and chicory. I overseeded with rye. Got some nice coverage, very thick. A few weeks ago, when it was warm and I was getting the itch, I took a look. Cleaned out, down to the ground. When it finally does get warm, I hope that I get a big comeback. Will have to wait as the weatherman is predicting more than 10 inches of snow and two more weeks of cold.

My brassicas did not do much in another field. I had plenty of turkeys in there and I think that they did a number.

My dogs are disappointed at the lack of turnips and radishes. Deer have cleaned me out, which was easier since my winter rye and wheat never germinated this past fall.
20180402_150924.jpg

Wow. Do you think that the wheat and rye will come up?

Wow. Do you think that the wheat and rye will come up?
I'm not expecting it to at this point. I frost seeded red and crimson clover there to try and get something going. Wheat seed can still be found on the soil surface, but has these orange bumps on it.
df6928ee96818171850f43f1d702e483.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

Could the seed have been bad? I've never had a failure overseeding rye. Had to wait about a month a time or two for rain but it always greened up prior to winter and matured the following spring.

After the second day out playing with over 18" of snow yesterday, this guy showed up.

Attachments

• Snowman 20180419.jpg
    Snowman 20180419.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 15