All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple tree borers

MA VT Flatlander

5 year old buck +
Lost a liberty I planted in 2013 at my Vermont property. It did not look good last year. Part of the central leader was dead last spring I thought it was winter kill on the limb tips. But this year it looked worse I removed the screen from the trunk, and spotted sawdust like frass on the bottom by the graft union. The tree broke right off there. It was completely dead. There was a very large larve inside below the graft at ground level.

Apple borers are the bane of my apple trees' existence. I have lost many 8, 9, 10 year old apples because I was not diligent in looking for borers. Now that I know what to look for, I feel I can keep on top of them. From mid-May to end of June June I literally walk my land and check every young apple every day, maybe every other day. I bring a piece if wire and my Leatherman and if I find any sign of borers I cut and dig into the tree with extreme prejudice! I paint up the wound first with Tree-Kote and then a day later with white-wash and normally that will do the trick.

Oh my, I'd be so flipping mad. I know its nature and the chance you take by planting something but my goodness, the horror!