Apple pics 2020

How do honey gold taste?
I will have to try to pay more attention this year when they start to get ripe. First couple of years with fruit there were just a few that I always picked off early due to bears. Maybe push my luck this yr and let a few hang as long as they want and try one. Bears are starting to be a problem here during acorn times and trashing trees.

Red Baron
19bc91e31e64172fb4efbfe511020967.jpg

Kerr-didn’t plan on picking but there were only 3 on tree. Critters got half of one and when I went to pluck it off, another fell. So I picked the other one too. Very interesting taste, wasn’t sure if I was ripe but the seeds make it seem so? Bur, I though they had some red flesh to them?
ed1d19493bf85c8032350a702a69de64.jpg

4f9fad4695e8006313b8861ddc5ca8d5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have not noticed any redflesh in them.

I must´ve mistaken! I thought that was the one that gave your cider a red color!

I must´ve mistaken! I thought that was the one that gave your cider a red color!

Dolgo, Kerr, winter redflesh, and firecracker will do that.

Probably also ABC.

Probably also ABC.

Mail me a jug of that :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Probably also ABC.

So is it the skin of the Kerr that will give it a hint of red?

QCEi18A.jpg

These are Caney Fork Limbertwigs beginning to ripen. This tree is one of the true "weeping type" of Limbertwigs. Look at the long skinny limbs loaded with apples on the ends.

QCEi18A.jpg

These are Caney Fork Limbertwigs beginning to ripen. This tree is one of the true "weeping type" of Limbertwigs. Look at the long skinny limbs loaded with apples on the ends.

Native, nice tree. Is the Camry Fork LT disease resistant for you? Also, what do you do to keep the coons from breaking all those weeping limbs. They look vulnerable to coon damage.

Native, nice tree. Is the Camry Fork LT disease resistant for you? Also, what do you do to keep the coons from breaking all those weeping limbs. They look vulnerable to coon damage.

It has been DR for me. When it was young I saw a little FB the first year it flowered, but since that time I have not seen it again. You will see a small amount of scab on the leaves but no CAR.

Coons seem to find themselves dead around here. Somebody must be killing them, but I have no idea who is doing it.

PS: I’ve only had one limb to break from fruit overload and that was three years ago.

Probably also ABC.

So is it the skin of the Kerr that will give it a hint of red?

Yes. Same thing for dolgo and ABC. If very ripe, the color is stronger. It comes through in applesauce and jelly, also.
275da498d4f70cfacc4e8c97500af634.jpg

Probably also ABC.

And Almata.

Probably also ABC.

Mail me a jug of that :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Every time I try and mail it, somebody drinks it first! ;)

Ahhhhh, that makes sense! This whole time, I thought it was because they were red fleshed!

While the deer here seem to like green apples when ripe equally with red apples, the red apples add significantly to the beautiful colors of the late summer/fall landscape. The red and reddish pink colored apples pictured on this thread are spectacular. A few of the wild trees here regularly produce bright red or dark pink apples similar though not as vibrant as those shown in this thread. Still though for the aesthetic value alone some of their scions will be used to create more of the same.

Limbertwigs. :emoji_sunglasses:

Myers Royal
IMG-5422.jpg

Kentucky
IMG-5425.jpg

Red Royal
IMG-5433.jpg
How do you like Red Royal and Kentucky?
I really Ike Myers Royal, but its the only limbertwig to make for me this year.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

How do you like Red Royal and Kentucky?
I really Ike Myers Royal, but its the only limbertwig to make for me this year.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
Hey Scott

The Myers Royal is my favorite, but the Red Royal is not far behind. :emoji_fingers_crossed: This year is my first good crop of Kentucky's and their not quite ripe yet. The couple I ate last year were more sweet than tart, not bad but I like that little bit of tartness to give your taste buds a thrill. :emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing:

I picked 30 gallons (six 5 gallon buckets) off my Brushy Mountain Limbertwig today and left at least 10 more gallons hanging on the tree. This apple isn't as big or a pretty as my Myer's, but the taste is extraordinary. When they start getting an orange cast on the skin, they are getting ripe. I kept a few and my in-laws are drying the rest of them.

fu9Daeu.jpg