Apple pics 2020

Here are most of the apples for the last batch of cider.
85eafb1c7e9416b86638a197e4bfa7ff.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cauley apples are enormous and taste excellent to boot!
93e844ba2368b845a610e6082c84822d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Merle, how is the disease resistance on that apple?

My buddy bought this tree from an orchard in northern WI a few years ago. He was told it was a McIntosh and it obviously isn’t. This picture was from today. Anybody have thoughts on what it could be?
36493C99-CD40-4311-9594-22B00EE3A80A.jpeg

Cauley apples are enormous and taste excellent to boot!
93e844ba2368b845a610e6082c84822d.jpg

Merle, how is the disease resistance on that apple?
It had a little fb on it this year, but according to Old Southern Apples, it won't be a problem when it's older.
Just a little car too, but I'm actually thinking about grafting several more for farmers market.

I did spray my goldrush apples through July, but here at least, it is going to be an extensive spray apple.
We picked about 4 good ones, they are really nice too.
Most were harvested by spice flies. These things take their apple eating very serious.
4a66b38b3108327e8278dca0e897d135.jpg

My buddy bought this tree from an orchard in northern WI a few years ago. He was told it was a McIntosh and it obviously isn’t. This picture was from today. Anybody have thoughts on what it could be?
View attachment 32048

A very ripe Kerr crab?

How would you describe taste?

View attachment 32048
Man, that thing has the shape of a Mac, but the color of an arkansas black! Very interesting....can you get scion from that sucker?

My 1st apple! Had no idea I had one growing this year. Was by that tree a few times this summer. It's a Goldrush. Illinois designated state fruit since 2008. BnB will be proud. My dad and I were scooting past in the ranger Sunday afternoon and we both did a double take. I should've let it hang longer, but rather snapped a quick pic and started cutting slices to sample. Definitely a hair tart but it tasted awesome!

20201004_153432.jpg

Going to keep my eye on this one at my moms place. My dad planted this 25 years ago. I have no idea what variety it might be. Tons of 1.5 to 2” apples hanging still. I made cider from them and they made a red cider. Lots of 1 year old wood for grafting too.

Attachments

• 56E26B18-A0F9-4CA4-A34E-6DBDE3353AC3.jpeg
    56E26B18-A0F9-4CA4-A34E-6DBDE3353AC3.jpeg
    743 KB · Views: 47
Going to keep my eye on this one at my moms place. My dad planted this 25 years ago. I have no idea what variety it might be. Tons of 1.5 to 2” apples hanging still. I made cider from them and they made a red cider. Lots of 1 year old wood for grafting too.

Looks like a keeper!!!

View attachment 32048
Maybe a Black Oxford???

Honeygold still hanging and a pretty tasty apple as well. For my area zone 4b will say they are a great tree. Grows fairly fast, almost as well as the bareroot crabs and so far is producing every year. Some sooty blotch/flyspeck whatever they call it on fruit but overall not bad for no spray program here. We had several frosts already and the fruit I picked today was still nice and crispy, no mush at all. Took a bit to pull off so expect will hang quite a bit longer.
DSC01634 (Large).JPGDSC01635 (Large).JPG

Honeygold still hanging and a pretty tasty apple as well. For my area zone 4b will say they are a great tree. Grows fairly fast, almost as well as the bareroot crabs and so far is producing every year. Some sooty blotch/flyspeck whatever they call it on fruit but overall not bad for no spray program here. We had several frosts already and the fruit I picked today was still nice and crispy, no mush at all. Took a bit to pull off so expect will hang quite a bit longer.
View attachment 32311View attachment 32312
I know they aren’t rated great for disease resistance but my friend has several trees in Zone 3b, doesn’t spray anything, and has been very happy with them.

View attachment 32048

This could be a Redfield . I have one that looks similar, first pic from 2018, second one is from a couple weeks ago. The real good hint is that the red flesh looks just like my Redfield flesh. At least that is my best guess.

Attachments

• Redfield 2018.JPG
    Redfield 2018.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Redfield 2020.JPG
    Redfield 2020.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 21