Apple/ pear fencing $$$

Found a free snow fence source. 850', and more if i
want. I'll bury one spruce post in the ground and wire it up to that. If I need two posts that's fine, just have to pick the right post hole digger now.
F42D7CD2-4408-4E31-8055-81EDA41990B2.jpg

I use the welded wire fence on mine and use about 16.5' per tree. Its fine for the initial size of the trees but they soon grow out of it when tying down the branches for the right angles.

Yeah, Ive been signed up and lurking soon after it became a reality. Just haven't had the opportunity to give any input up until now.

I use the 4' and found out the first year that I had major moose issues. I use T posts and raise the fencing up just high enough that the moose cant reach over it. It seems to be working.......SO FAR

I also use concrete mesh and no posts. Heart of bear country. I use 17' per tree. Love it. Actually of my 120 trees I took the fence off of about 80 of them now.

I talked to the Forester last week and cost sharing is now available for all fencing, clips, cables and any other materials. It runs .50 a foot.

Maple seedlings this year is unreal on my property. 1-1.5 million per acre. No typo there.

Trapper - Red maples or Sugar maples? If some of those are sugar maples, is there a market for seedlings for syrup producers? ( for future use, obviously )

Im sure that they are Sugar Maples as almost all of my Maples are Sugars.
I ran 34/1 this year on syrup. 1558408_711948918828513_1387868192_n.jpg1901461_711953512161387_2024511533_n.jpg

Trapper, we have 15 large sugar maples around our camp (in the lawn). Would that many trees be worth tapping for a project with the kids. Meaning, how much syrup could we get?

Most certainly worthwhile. Depends how the syrup runs, but probably 5+ gallons of finished syrup.

Wow, I guess we have a new project. I didn't think it would be that much.

Seeing that this is at camp, how often can you empty them?

Seeing that this is at camp, how often can you empty them?
Didn't think about that. We go up every weekend starting in April.

Maybe put 2 in each tree friday as soon as you getters and start cooking saturday morning. Thats what I do a lot of times. If the weather is cool enough you can leave from one weekend to the next.

Dipper I was at our farm today doing some maintenance on a few apple trees and man to me that fencing project you have ahead of you looks like a LOT of time and labor. I hope you have some helpers. I am curious to see and hear how it turns out for you. I just don't see that chain link fence being very easy to work with. Are you doing a block enclosure or cages?

This is how we anchor down our concrete mesh cages for fruit trees and it's probably overkill as we dont have bears. For the most part concrete mesh is stiff and holds good form. We don't use tposts anymore, just these metal rods. These take about 5 seconds each to push into the sand, and a few more seconds to wrap a piece of wire around them and attach to the cage.

For us it's all about time saving in our process. Cutting a piece of concrete mesh for a cage takes about a minute, I think it's about 12 cuts with a bolt cutter. It takes about 1-2 minutes to install.

CameraZOOM-20140607101031802.jpg

CameraZOOM-20140607101049607.jpg

CameraZOOM-20140607101100279.jpg