Anyone sell farms for a living? Considering real estate career

Jordan Selsor

5 year old buck +
Anyone sell farms for a living?

Find myself considering going into real estate / land sales more an more. Have been chewing on this for years. Always find myself coming back to it. I have really enjoyed the buying an selling process on the deals I have been involved with. I have a lucrative full time job that offers allot of flexibility. I have a solid side business now that is very labor intensive. I don’t mind the hard work. Actually enjoy it. But I want to grow in a business savy since. The earning potential can be insane. That’s appealing as well. An of nothing was selling I am in a position where the pressure would be manageable.
I also want to know about farms before they hit the open market lol.

Anyone do this for a living? would love your feedback. Would like to join a team with allot of agent support and brand recognition like whitetail properties. Thoughts, opinions from all appreciated!

Anyone sell farms for a living?

Find myself considering going into real estate / land sales more an more. Have been chewing on this for years. Always find myself coming back to it. I have really enjoyed the buying an selling process on the deals I have been involved with. I have a lucrative full time job that offers allot of flexibility. I have a solid side business now that is very labor intensive. I don’t mind the hard work. Actually enjoy it. But I want to grow in a business savy since. The earning potential can be insane. That’s appealing as well. An of nothing was selling I am in a position where the pressure would be manageable.
I also want to know about farms before they hit the open market lol.

Anyone do this for a living? would love your feedback. Would like to join a team with allot of agent support and brand recognition like whitetail properties. Thoughts, opinions from all appreciated!
I don’t have any first hand experience to offer since there’s no way I could pull off two jobs, but I think there would be an awful lot of enjoyment in it if you hook on with the right place. I’ve got a buddy who works for Midwest Land Group that used to work for the MDC. He and I have talked about it a lot; he absolutely loves it. I have since gotten to know several guys at MLG and found them to all be very good guys. I do know he’s working pretty much every weekend and lots early mornings and late nights...for me that wouldn’t be doable until retirement (only 15 more years to go, ha). You can find those guys pretty easy on Facebook. They’re all over you and I’d neck of the woods. I’m sure they’d be happy to chat with you.

I don't have much to add, but I'll mention there's a group up here called Landguys and the realtor in that group who gets some listings in the region is an expert photographer, excellent at running multiple trail cams on his listings, and takes really nice drone footage with added soothing music. His listings really pop.

I sell farms in MN. As an agency we sell maybe 4-12 per year, nothing major....but also sell 20-40 homes and lake homes a year. My wife is full time realtor, she sells a lot of properties. There is good and bad. You have to sell millions in real estate to make a living, you will work late hours... travel a lot, many showings are on weekends. No benefits or health insurance. I can make it work as I have insurance agency as well, but full time, you have to be really good and very knowledgeable.

If you get 500,000k and up listings then it can be very good money. Good luck in the pursuit.

I was a pharmacist for 20 years and left to become a realtor/investor 3 years ago. My ultimate goal was to sell farm/ranch as that is my passion. I am too busy now with my investment company to consider it. If you can do I say go for it. Good luck.

I was a pharmacist for 20 years and left to become a realtor/investor 3 years ago. My ultimate goal was to sell farm/ranch as that is my passion. I am too busy now with my investment company to consider it. If you can do I say go for it. Good luck.
Thats so awesome you had the courage to jump from such a stable occupation to do your own thing! I have such a great job I feel guilty for looking on the other side of the fence so much.

Very interesting. My employer makes it pretty much impossible for me to even get my feet wet in a side gig. Recreational real estate is a profession I think I’d love, though. Heck, back when I was land shopping, I routinely knew more about every tract I inquired about than the listing agent.

Very interesting. My employer makes it pretty much impossible for me to even get my feet wet in a side gig. Recreational real estate is a profession I think I’d love, though. Heck, back when I was land shopping, I routinely knew more about every tract I inquired about than the listing agent.

There are many realtors that do not know anything about hunting land. No offense--but especially women. They don't want to pass up the listing, so they take it. Examples of agency ads I have seen in my area...
"This tract has 40 acres of CRP--guaranteed renewable"..."This 80 acre parcel has nice feed plots" "CREP income until 2022 and then can be re-enrolled (nope it cannot)... I see it all the time.

It is best to list with an avid hunter and/or someone that has owned their own farm (that helps). A genuine knowledge of food plots, habitat work, types of trees, soil types, DPSM or buck history, all that makes a huge difference

There are many realtors that do not know anything about hunting land. No offense--but especially women. They don't want to pass up the listing, so they take it. Examples of agency ads I have seen in my area...
"This tract has 40 acres of CRP--guaranteed renewable"..."This 80 acre parcel has nice feed plots" "CREP income until 2022 and then can be re-enrolled (nope it cannot)... I see it all the time.

It is best to list with an avid hunter and/or someone that has owned their own farm (that helps). A genuine knowledge of food plots, habitat work, types of trees, soil types, DPSM or buck history, all that makes a huge difference
You’re right, but I was talking about guys that specialize in hunting land.