Anyone have experience with this?

shawnv

5 year old buck +
I have neighboring farmers the past two years plant winter wheat and rye after the fall harvest so my cereal grain plots are seeing less usage than I had previously. I saw this mix but what I was interested in was this "high sugar" rye and wondering if that is just a sales pitch and is not really any different. I know LC gave this a thumbs up at one time.

http://www.outsidepride.com/seed/deer-food-plots/sweet-spot-northern-mix.html

That is ryegrass as opposed to cereal rye. No experience but most people says stay away from ryegrasses due to little benefit, hard to get rid of and can spread.

Personally I would try to find a different puzzle piece of the food puzzle that the neighbors dont have. Or build up the cover around the plots (if possible) to get more day time usage on their way to the big ag fields.

That is ryegrass as opposed to cereal rye. No experience but most people says stay away from ryegrasses due to little benefit, hard to get rid of and can spread.

Personally I would try to find a different puzzle piece of the food puzzle that the neighbors dont have. Or build up the cover around the plots (if possible) to get more day time usage on their way to the big ag fields.

I pretty much have the plan set for 2016 and will still use cereal rye but it will probably be more over seeded into beans opposed to having a cereal gain mix plot.

Yes I have used it for about 5 years works great. There are more companies selling this same seed under different names.

If LC gave the thumbs up, I think that is all you need to know.

Looks interesting, although I would probably only plant a small area with exclusion cage to see for myself.