Anyone ever built a browse exclusion cage?

j-bird

The on-line class has me pondering if I am truly maintaining a healthy deer/habitat ratio so to speak. I have done exclusion cages for food plots to measure utilization - more of just a visual, but I have never done one for browse. Has anyone done a browse enclosure and willing to pass along tips on size and the like on how to do one?

The on-line class has me pondering if I am truly maintaining a healthy deer/habitat ratio so to speak. I have done exclusion cages for food plots to measure utilization - more of just a visual, but I have never done one for browse. Has anyone done a browse enclosure and willing to pass along tips on size and the like on how to do one?

I haven't personally built any but, i did so some surveys in side of some that were built in a National Wildlife Refuge when i worked for an environmental education program. These particular cages were 12'x12'x8' the corner posts were 4x4 pressure treated lumber and fencing was that black plastic "chicken wire". The locations were set up in representative areas of the different types of habitat that occurred in the refuge.

Here where i live now, quite often the DCNR has areas logged for timber sales. The Game Commission does the same thing on gamelands. After the logging operations are complete they fence the entire area with 8' fence to keep deer out of them....which kinda sucks because they would undoubtedly be deer hunting hot spots. the thinking is to allow forest regeneration to occur without deer. they keep the fences up for upwards of 20 yrs. the difference in regen inside the fence and outside the fence is unreal.

Yes that's why I started hammering the does. I went from having nothing grow under my hardwood canopy. Nothing! In 2 years I have solid 6" maples like the madison forest in the video. Now I have to get them over 6"s.
Watch out j you might be turning into a liberal nut not wanting a deer behind every tree.....

Much like phil, I have not built personally, but have seen a few different kinds in action. Some for browse surveys and some to protect shrub thickets that were planted. I have seen them on the Necedah NWR and on the County/City forest near my home. T-posts and 100' roll of the "green" fencing will usually do the trick(25' square). Depending on how big you want them 50' rolls of fence(12'square) will suffice.
4' fence.jpg

I used some t posts and hog panels to protect some white cedars planted on the edge of the yard at my cabin. Rabbits could likely get in. I would not want to use hog panels in the woods and risk the chance of a deer getting its head stuck in it. Generally deer aren't in the yard and someone is there daily so they would notice if there were any issues.

I have a low deer density, but I know it is increasing. My concern is to stay ahead of the curve. I have no issue with smacking flat-tops (my state only allows a hunter to kill a single antlered deer thru all the deer seasons any way - I like that rule). I never had a deer behind every tree and "liberal" or any other label doesn't bother me. Been called a lot worse and they where right! My plots are not wiped out or eaten to the ground so I think I am fine, but I am looking for another indication method and I think browse is a good place to start. My understory looks nothing like what was in the videos - my maples are taller! I know that isn't a good thing, but I am hinging the maple and beech for cover and planting acorns and promoting my oaks to help with the regeneration efforts. As crazy as it may sound. I would like to keep the deer below the carrying capacity as I think getting an over-population issue under control would take far more effort. I have more deer now than ever, but there are reasons for that even beyond my place. Based on the damage that can happen and the amount of time it can take for a property to recover - I think I prefer to be on the cautious side and keep the numbers lower than they could be.

I may also consider a browse survey, but I will need some further education in that process. I might be able to contact my wildlife biologist and see if he can teach me.

That class has given me cause to consider my position and even potentially change my viewpoint some.....maybe not to being a Liberal, but to at least being a better steward - that's a label I can live with!

Why not run the cheap barb wire around a few trees to get the area you want. Put 5-6 strands up from the ground to 5' up. I think I am going to try this with a dolgo thicket once I get a spot cleared.

I think I'm going to use wire fence like I use to protect my fruit trees and just set up small 4 or 6 foot square areas in a few different places to see if I notice any difference over time.

I have one question - do I fence off some regen I already have or should I cut it all down to ground level just to see how it progresses from scratch?

I think it would take a lot longer to get results if you cut it to the ground. The ones I have seen were done with existing growth. You have to do some homework either way. As long as the area you fence has the same type of species makeup and amount of regen as the general area that is outside the fence and you have documented the average height and density of as many species of plant as you can directly inside and outside the cage you wouldn't want to kill it all. You don't need a "blank slate" as long as you know what you have to start with. It doesn't have to be scientific or anything like that, just a basic idea of the makeup of the general plant community and initial density and height through photos and a few notes. That way you will have an idea of not only browse pressure, but if the deer are singling out a particular species and other species are filling in in place of what is being browsed. You will typically find that they will key on the more preferred species first and then move on to less desirable plants as they eat the better stuff to the ground. For example, you could end up with an equal amount and height of regen in both areas, but if the stuff inside the cage is sugar maple, white pine, and trillium's versus the stuff outside the cage being a patch of bracken ferns and other undesirables, it would give you a better idea of what is going on.

I was planning on simply fencing a 6x6 area and then marking a 6x6 area right next to it and simply do a visual (side by side) comparison. It isn't scientific but I am only looking for a general monitoring tool - not scientific research. I may do an area right next to these where I take it to the ground just to see as well.

I understand j-bird, nothing scientific, but it would be good to know over the long term what general plants are there now and what, if anything, the deer are "targeting". Taking another 6x6 area to the ground on the opposite side of the cage would be an interesting comparison as well, both to the caged area and the uncaged sample area.

You would need a bomb to fix your regen issues.

Back around 1964 I got a chance to visit the Penn State Deer Research Facility. Part of the tour was a chance to see an area that they fenced into three sections. Each were 5 acres. In one are all deer had been removed. The second area had 6 does and the third area was fenced, but had openings so that the local deer herd could have free access. Each area had been thoroughly "inventoried" by volunteers and students. Every bush and tree had been cataloged. After two years, the difference was remarkable and eye opening. I think we visited in the fourth year but saw pictures of the earlier years. I could not believe that 6 doe could wipe out the vegetation in a 5 acre area that fast. The native area showed little difference from the start. the totally isolated area was so thick you could not walk through it. I have some old pictures here somewhere. If I can find them I'll scan them into the puter and try to post some.

Eye opening for sure, and it does tell a story, but not at all realistic. 6 deer on 5 acres equates to 768 deer per square mile.:eek: That is starting to get up into NoFo's density range!:eek:;):D

I wonder what acid rain levels and effects were like back then? Doubtful it was known and being monitored at the time.

For Phil and the others on here - I've been on a couple timber sales in my hunting area and the fences to exclude deer were only up for 4 yrs. before they were taken down. Good regeneration took place there. Degree of success may depend on local deer densities, combined with the effects of acid rain. I don't know if liming was done in those areas or not - the state may have applied lime or they may not have. Another fenced area near the one where the fence was removed has had deer get into it via low spots in the fence caused by limbs falling on it. I saw a big beauty of an 8 pt. walking slowly thru that fenced area by sheer luck one evening. That area has loads of growth from 15" to 5 ft. tall. Everything from low blueberries to oak, hickory and maple shoots up to 5 ft. and briars as well. Other areas as Phil said, fence may be up for 15 - 20 yrs. before regen. is satisfactory.

I wonder what acid rain levels and effects were like back then? Doubtful it was known and being monitored at the time.
I'm sure the acid rain had not been measured or taken into account at any time before the mid to late 70's.

You would need a bomb to fix your regen issues.
Wonder why i fight a regen problem?

I was searching the web and came across this oddly named, grainy, old home video. "NoFo home video - How we deal with forest regeneration issues" Once I figured out how to upload it, I figured I would share. Click the link, it should open in your browser.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9zwSpRa2JNBOGU2UDR6WmFLVEU/view?usp=sharing

Now THAT'S a flock of turkeys !!