anyone do a drone video of their property yet?

Careful with that, the law is on the drone operator's side. As long as they are following all FAA regulations, you are criminally liable for the damages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I hear you. I was just being dramatic. Total BS though IMHO for anybody to intentionally fly a drone over somebody else's property for whatever reason...looking for stands, bait piles, scouting, out of curiosity. etc.

I wonder if you could claim hunter harassment and make a case out of it? Might just be enough of a pain in the arse for the nosey neighbors that they think twice about looking for your stands.

As for the drones themselves....to me it would be a cool, one time thing. It would be neat to see my property from the air. But for any practical use for deer hunting and/or scouting I just personally prefer boots on the ground. I wonder if it would be easy to find a dead deer from the air? Could be a great tool for find that white belly of a deer on a forest floor? Lastly, would it ever be possible to fly a drone that had some kind of an infrared camera? Could be a handy tool for finding a newly dead but lost deer, trespassers, or newly dead but lost trespassers?

Natty, you can get an infrared or just about any sensor you can imagine for one of these things. And the programming for them is amazing. Points of interest, gps waypoints, programs for facial recognition, fire recognition, etc. People have done some pretty amazing things with them.
I have a practical use for one but haven't justified the cost... yet.

Natty, you can get an infrared or just about any sensor you can imagine for one of these things. And the programming for them is amazing. Points of interest, gps waypoints, programs for facial recognition, fire recognition, etc. People have done some pretty amazing things with them.
I have a practical use for one but haven't justified the cost... yet.

Did not know that. That's pretty amazing. Seems like finding a warm dead deer in the woods would be a realistic use?

Catscratch, I am imagining other uses deer hunters might have. Knowing nothing about these, would it be possible to fly a drone over a preprogrammed route (say, over a food plot and associated tree stand) pre-hunt to spot potential deer in the area? Deer already in the plot? Deer on the entrance trails? Deer bedded nearby?

I imagine a time when a drone is as an important and accepted hunting and scouting tool as trail cams have become.

Did not know that. That's pretty amazing. Seems like finding a warm dead deer in the woods would be a realistic use?

Catscratch, I am imagining other uses deer hunters might have. Knowing nothing about these, would it be possible to fly a drone over a preprogrammed route (say, over a food plot and associated tree stand) pre-hunt to spot potential deer in the area? Deer already in the plot? Deer on the entrance trails? Deer bedded nearby?

I imagine a time when a drone is as an important and accepted hunting and scouting tool as trail cams have become.

Yes. They can be programmed to fly a route, pause anywhere on that route, circle a spot (maybe a tree or something), fly at predetermined altitudes at any point on that route, etc. Most of the time it's as easy as using your finger to draw an outline on a google map on your phone. It will follow your drawing! You can watch realtime from your phone while setting in your truck, take pics, or record video.

The tech is there to be very powerful for hunting. State laws and personal ethics will have to draw a line in the sand somewhere.

I want one of these....................too bad they are not commercially available, yet.

http://arstechnica.com/security/201...rs-complete-control-of-aircraft-in-midflight/

Someone fly's a drone near my home over my private property, I would take control of it and nose dive it into the ground, preferably at their feet if I could see the operator. Opps, looks like your drone malfunctioned as it was hovering over my back yard, hmmm, I wonder how that happened?

I want one of these....................too bad they are not commercially available, yet.

http://arstechnica.com/security/201...rs-complete-control-of-aircraft-in-midflight/

Someone fly's a drone near my home over my private property, I would take control of it and nose dive it into the ground, preferably at their feet if I could see the operator. Opps, looks like your drone malfunctioned as it was hovering over my back yard, hmmm, I wonder how that happened?

Awesome. I didn't understand 95% of what the narrator was saying. The last sentence "The hi-jack is complete" about sums it up.

Yeah, I hear you. I was just being dramatic. Total BS though IMHO for anybody to intentionally fly a drone over somebody else's property for whatever reason...looking for stands, bait piles, scouting, out of curiosity. etc.

I wonder if you could claim hunter harassment and make a case out of it? Might just be enough of a pain in the arse for the nosey neighbors that they think twice about looking for your stands.

As for the drones themselves....to me it would be a cool, one time thing. It would be neat to see my property from the air. But for any practical use for deer hunting and/or scouting I just personally prefer boots on the ground. I wonder if it would be easy to find a dead deer from the air? Could be a great tool for find that white belly of a deer on a forest floor? Lastly, would it ever be possible to fly a drone that had some kind of an infrared camera? Could be a handy tool for finding a newly dead but lost deer, trespassers, or newly dead but lost trespassers?

In WI, that is definitely illegal. It violates right to privacy I would imagine just about anywhere.

http://knowbeforeyoufly.org/

Last edited:
Which one did you get ?
Holy stone HS 300
I didn't research prices, it just showed up under the tree so I am very happy with it.
There are undoubtedly many more better models but we crashed this thing 10 times already so I'm happy to learn how to fly with a model that doesn't cost 2k!

I was finally able to get mine in the air during daylight hours. I went to the cities landfill, compost area. The video is about 2 minutes long. Part of the video is just under 200'. Once I get good at flying I'll take it to my property and do some pics and videos.

Well, you got the turning to the right part down Pat! LOL

I'll try make some left hand turns next time.

Funniest thing I saw was when the city in CO passed laws on what could be used to shoot down drones from the military base that flew over their city.This happened a couple years ago

Just wondering if anyone has used a drone to do a small vid of their land. My step son got a drone a few months ago and he is coming to my 40 this late winter and will do a vid. I will try and post the vid and explain how i have my 40 set up as far as hinge cut bedding sanctuaries and how I access it. My water hole placements and food plot placements and why I have them there. I think they look like a great scouting tool.

Yes, I've done a few flyovers of my property as well as took it out to a buddies' property during winter to check out logged areas and in spring to check out winter travel. It's awesome to flyover combines during harvest season as well. It's a super cool tool to have, but it's definitely one of those toys that are so awesome right away, but they lose their novelty pretty quick. My buddy had me do some footage at his bachelor party, with aoubt 15-20 people in line shooting clay pigeons I did a flyover and got some of the footage for him. It was definitely a hit and he loved it.

Here is a video of a guy using a hydro ax to make trails on our property. My favorite video so far.

I would love some good video of my land, so if someone that lives in NW Wisconsin would like to make a few bucks doing a good video, you could recover a few dollars.