Anybody have an i.d. for this tree?

Turkey Creek

5 year old buck +
Some friends asked me to stop by at look at the trees around a house they purchased, wanted to know what some were and if some should be removed, etc.. Anybody know what this tree is? Not a native that I recognize. Leaf is a bit dehydrated from the ride home. Didnt have a camera there with me.

DSCN0852.JPGDSCN0853.JPG

cottonwood?

plains cottonwood would be my guess

Nope we have plenty of cottonwoods around. Leaf isnt the same as a cottonwood and tree structure isnt either. Tree is 20 years old, maybe 15' tall.

Sure looks like something from the poplar/aspen family? Quaking aspen maybe?

Reminds me of basswood.

tilia cordata

I believe you guys got it. Looks like maybe one of the Linden trees such as American Linden (aka Basswood). Thanks

Funny as the wife was talking about how they had just got back from a trip and saw a beautiful, large Basswood. The tree this leaf came off of she unfortunately used Tordon to treat some suckers at the base of it last year, so the tree is showing some herbicide damage this year. I guess time will tell if there was enough exposure to kill it. I schooled her on the use of Tordon!

Basswood grow pretty fast and have a soft wood. A 20 year old tree that is only 15' tall seem really odd for a basswood. That leaf does look like a basswood leaf, but the growing characteristics don't match a basswood.

Sure looks like something from the poplar/aspen family? Quaking aspen maybe?
I was also thinking the quaking aspen, but again growth rate seem very slow.

The new owner assumed that it was planted 20 years ago as that is when the house was built, it could have been planted more recent than that.

is the leaf stem flattened or round?

Seems to be rounded.

not aspen or cotton wood then, they have flattened stems.

My Linden is a favorite for the Jap beetles.