All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any merit to laying off big does?

Big old mature does are number one on our hit list every year and have been for about 17 years now. Take out the smartest ones. I don't think one can do a lot with regard to their genetic pool, but I will say that we do have bucks move in from some distance and I like the "idea" of them breeding with younger does to mix things up as opposed to some doe pushing out 1/2 of the same genetic package for 10 years. We also have a pretty good big doe contest each year and the old ones improve your chances of winning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Unless that old doe is spitting out booner genetics.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I can honestly say that I "think" deer are very social creatures and herd health depends a lot on social structure, which depends a lot on age structure. With this said I "think" outside influences (that relate to herd health) can affect antler size and configuration through epigenetics, and through emotional health.
In my opinion a good cross-section of the population needs to be looked at in management plans and social aspects should be important in the decision making process.

I guess what I'm saying is to think of the book; "Lord of the Flies" and what happened when the older age class was eliminated from a population and relate it to consciously removing all the older does from a population. Having the place ran completely by teenagers can't be a good situation.

The reason I ask is I've been on my place for three years now. 80 acres with a 50-50 mix of oak ridges and popple/maple surrounded by ag. first year was like a wildlife refuge and I shot two magnum does and a 9. Last year with no food plots and no acorns my woods we're pretty empty. This spring I had two plots bulldozed in and a pond and numbers are way up with soybeans overseeded with rye oats and radish. Like waaaaay up. My area is a high deer density and I want to be sure my numbers are good moving forward. My thought is last year was more a reflection of limited food rather than whacking too many herd does. Thanks for the replies

I have what I think is another issue. I have on camera 4 adult does with only 1 fawn. It is a buck fawn so that's good but I don't think any of the fawnless does are real old but they don't seem to be yearlings either. I have some yotes and bears on camera (no wolves yet) and just thinking about what might be happening here. Do I have 3 "dry does"? Also the doe with the buck fawn does appear to be a very mature doe. I am thinking that getting rid of some coyotes might help. Thoughts? I also wonder when someone says they have a "dry doe" is it possible she lost her fawns for whatever reason, be it predators, cars etc.?

You do not have three dry does. A dry doe is very rare and would have to be 10 years old or more. I have does without fawns every year. They either abort them due to the severity of winter or predators get them. However, by July the fawn less does are usually traveling together. That is probably what you have going on, a united family group of fawnless does.

The reason I ask is I've been on my place for three years now. 80 acres with a 50-50 mix of oak ridges and popple/maple surrounded by ag. first year was like a wildlife refuge and I shot two magnum does and a 9. Last year with no food plots and no acorns my woods we're pretty empty. This spring I had two plots bulldozed in and a pond and numbers are way up with soybeans overseeded with rye oats and radish. Like waaaaay up. My area is a high deer density and I want to be sure my numbers are good moving forward. My thought is last year was more a reflection of limited food rather than whacking too many herd does. Thanks for the replies

I would keep bull dozen and eliminating all those darn trees .. more food plots are always the secret to success ... :emoji_thumbsup:

Young does taste soooo good. I've butchered a couple trophy does that weren't real impressive in taste or texture.

Young does taste soooo good. I've butchered a couple trophy does that weren't real impressive in taste or texture.
I have NEVER had bad venison. Guess I'm lucky haha
Chuck

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

If your numbers are up that much the right doe to shoot is the one in range. Shoot as many as you can get tags for and dont worry how old they are.

In 5 sits we have seen 5 does and 10 fawns. Also several baldies in fields on the way out. If we didn't shoot does our arrows might die of old age. I personally can't guess a 1.5 from a 7.5 old doe. They are all adult does to me. I shoot most of them. Depends on the day, spot, weather, time but I never feel bad about wacking a doe.

If its fun for you letr rip!