Any ideas for "plan B" plot?

j-bird

So Between an issue with my planter, maybe some carelessness on my part and some unwanted visitors.....my corn plots are trash! I have 1 good row in 3 plots total. Either the seed was older than i was told, the planter wasn't working properly...AND I know I got visitors as I have little divots all over my plots where my corn should be! In any case...I'll do a ragdoll test on the corn and will do an inspection on the planter. Fact is....I can't replant corn as I fear it won't have time to "catch-up". My entire farm 100 is planted in beans so I don't want beans.

My plan is for something I can easily plant and terminate come late summer.....when I will simply plant AWP/wheat and turnips. I need something that will tolerate the hot dry summer and hopefully the deer will like to at least some extent. What will fit the bill of essentially an economical summer cover crop????

What about Buckwheat?
My guess is that you have the right temps already to get it planted but I'm wondering if your high temps might cause a problem. This is from the Cornell extension:

Seedbed preparation
Since the buckwheat plant has a fine root system, preparing a good seedbed is time well invested. The seedbed should be firm to obtain uniform establishment, rapid plant growth, uptake of essential nutrients, to reduce drought injury, and to lessen lodging. Avoid sowing in wet soil because it usually turns out very hard before the root has a chance to grow.

Since buckwheat is planted late, it is often valuable to plow and disk in early to mid-June in order to retain soil moisture.

When buckwheat is sown in abandoned fields, old pastures, or other land that has not been cultivated for several years, it is best to allow the vegetation to break down by plowing deeply several weeks before sowing. The soil should then be harrowed periodically to improve its physical condition, retain moisture, and destroy weeds.

If the field was in small grain or a cultivated crop (such as potatoes) the previous year, or if the soil has already been prepared for another crop, plowing can be replaced by disking or harrowing with a spring-tooth field cultivator or vibrashank. Plowing is usually necessary in all other situations.

Unfortunately, many first-time buckwheat growers assume that buckwheat planting requires little attention. When they plant by doing a rough disking, broadcasting seed, and disking again, they are always disappointed. Seeding is the last operation before harvest - it is worth doing right.

Sowing
Buckwheat should be sown with a grain drill at a depth of 1/2 to 1 inch. Seeding deeper than 1 1/2 inches will usually lead to poor and uneven stands. Drilling the seed will produce an even and uniform stand. If a drill is not available, a crop can be obtained by broadcasting the seed at double the usual seeding rate, followed by cultipacking.

The seed should be sown at 40-55 lb/ac. Larger plants will grow on good land, so the lower rate can be used. Higher rates are needed if plant growth is likely to be slow (e.g. if the soil is cold, wet, or poorly prepared at sowing). Large-seeded varieties require slightly higher rates than "common" seed because there are fewer seeds per pound. These seeding rates are based on 85% germination. Germination can decline quickly in common storage, so a germination test is worthwhile if the seed is not from the most recent harvest.

Growth and Development

Buckwheat grows best in a cool, moist climate, such as is found in parts of the Northeast. Although buckwheat can grow under a fairly wide range of conditions, it is quite sensitive to climatic extremes.

The ideal growing temperature is about 70° F. It yields best with cool nights.

Buckwheat goes through its life cycle quickly, so there is little time to make up for delays in development. Seedlings emerge 3-5 days after sowing. Most of the leaf production occurs during the 3rd through 6th week. Buckwheat blooms and sets seed in the 6th and 7th week, and seed filling begins in the 8th week. The grain is mature 10-12 weeks after sowing.

Buckwheat crop week by week

Week Growth Stage Special Concerns
1 Germination Crusting
2 Emergence Puddling
3 Early vegetative growth
4 Main vegetative growth
5 Buds show Heat blasting
6 Bloom and seed set Heat blasting
7 Peak of flowering
8 Seed fill
9 Seeds start to brown
10 Leaf yellowing Monitor maturity
11 Maturing Windrowing
12 Mature Harvest, frost
13 Drying straw Frost, shattering

Growth stages of buckwheat

Concerns about yields

• Hard soil prevents the fine roots from growing.
  • Flooding and crusting before the first true leaves expand is detrimental to growth.
  • Light frost is lethal, therefore buckwheat is not usually sown in spring in the Northeast. A fall frost will kill the leaves and stems, so the crop must then be harvested immediately.
  • High temperatures during early flowering can prevent seed set (called heat blasting)
  • In dry weather, rapid transpiration causes the plants to wilt even if soil moisture is adequate.
  • Defoliation by deer, hail, or mowing eliminates yield.
  • Most herbicides cause serious injury. None are registered for preplant residual or post-emergence application on buckwheat in New York.

personally I think if its a crop for deer and not harvest, it can be replanted in corn again, as your not going to need to harvest it at same times as other corn in area
so it will still grow and be there for deer after other things in your area are gone!
there are faster growing corn varieties out there too, which can again, still be planted now!

other wise I can agree Buckwheat would be OK, but it will be done being appealing by summers end and then your going to want to plant something else then in late summer, , turnips or brassic's like? are good idea's!

or you can maybe plant Oats! now too, and be done?
a lot maybe comes down to what time you have to do things and well budget as well!

I agree with the buckwheat suggestion from our camp's experience. Soil is now warm enough to germinate it. You could mix in a little cheap clover of some sort, which will also feed deer and can be turned under for a fall planting of turnips, AWP / wheat, radishes - etc. The clover will add some N beside feeding deer.

Buckwheat is my answer as well. Easiest thing to grow and matured in 7-10 weeks for me , but it depends on rainfall and soil of course. One thing with buckwheat that I make sure I do is terminate it before it goes to seed or else you will have lots of volunteer buckwheat which will shade out your next crop . My next crop is usually geared towards winter and I don’t need the buckwheat as it will be toast by a frost.

personally I think if its a crop for deer and not harvest, it can be replanted in corn again, as your not going to need to harvest it at same times as other corn in area
so it will still grow and be there for deer after other things in your area are gone!
there are faster growing corn varieties out there too, which can again, still be planted now!

other wise I can agree Buckwheat would be OK, but it will be done being appealing by summers end and then your going to want to plant something else then in late summer, , turnips or brassic's like? are good idea's!

or you can maybe plant Oats! now too, and be done?
a lot maybe comes down to what time you have to do things and well budget as well!
I'm not buying more RR corn..... I only planted it in the first place because it was free. I realize I don;t need to harvest the corn, but I know that it's still late in the game here to get a solid stand unless I just pour the fertilizer to it.....and I'm gonna be really upset if all I basically get is corn stalks! The corn seed I have left I will simply save until next year.

My local guy suggested Buckwheat and some clovers. I think I may give the clovers a shot and see what happens. I really like the idea of the planting providing the deer something....and the additional N will help the cereal grains and brassica I have planned for later in the year as well. I guess we will see.....

I'm not buying more RR corn..... I only planted it in the first place because it was free. I realize I don;t need to harvest the corn, but I know that it's still late in the game here to get a solid stand unless I just pour the fertilizer to it.....and I'm gonna be really upset if all I basically get is corn stalks! The corn seed I have left I will simply save until next year.
well it was just a suggestion for you? and I honestly DON"T know how many acres of corn here your talking aboiut either!

here a month late, I STILL say corn would be just fine for wildlife, as they harvest it here in mid Oct, so its got plenty of ears in late , planted in late may, so lf planting in say,
mid June, I would think would allow a LOT of time for ears to be on things in OCT
As here they harvest corn before snows and more moisture gets right, it, when left for wildlife, I doubt that matters!
them ears would be long grown quite a while before harvest!
but as I said, was just a suggestion,
if it was me and I really wanted corn, I'd roll the dice , if come mid Aug and things looked BAD< I could still mow and plant something else any how, as if one was to plant buckwheat now, come late summer, that will be rather un attracting to wild life, so would need to be cut,and re plated with something else any how,
and just a tip in case you didn;t know this
but the,
NWTF, sells last yrs seeds at discounted prices,. as long as its used for wildlife, can get RR corn for like 30-40 bucks a bag, and that's 300-350 dollar a bag corn seed
or that's what I been paying when I got it last!
its normally a spring time deal, but some times bags do get left over after sales and can be had this time of yr,
on ANY older seeds, I always add inoculate to seeds before planting them, it helps IMO< make sure they get the best chance as producing!
cheap fast and easy to add, so worth the small added steps and costs!

So Between an issue with my planter, maybe some carelessness on my part and some unwanted visitors.....my corn plots are trash! I have 1 good row in 3 plots total. Either the seed was older than i was told, the planter wasn't working properly...AND I know I got visitors as I have little divots all over my plots where my corn should be! In any case...I'll do a ragdoll test on the corn and will do an inspection on the planter. Fact is....I can't replant corn as I fear it won't have time to "catch-up". My entire farm 100 is planted in beans so I don't want beans.

My plan is for something I can easily plant and terminate come late summer.....when I will simply plant AWP/wheat and turnips. I need something that will tolerate the hot dry summer and hopefully the deer will like to at least some extent. What will fit the bill of essentially an economical summer cover crop????

In my area, I can plant buckwheat up until the 4th of July. It provides deer food for 60 to 90 days. It is very easy to terminate for your next crop.

well it was just a suggestion for you? and I honestly DON"T know how many acres of corn here your talking aboiut either!

here a month late, I STILL say corn would be just fine for wildlife, as they harvest it here in mid Oct, so its got plenty of ears in late , planted in late may, so lf planting in say,
mid June, I would think would allow a LOT of time for ears to be on things in OCT
As here they harvest corn before snows and more moisture gets right, it, when left for wildlife, I doubt that matters!
them ears would be long grown quite a while before harvest!
but as I said, was just a suggestion,
if it was me and I really wanted corn, I'd roll the dice , if come mid Aug and things looked BAD< I could still mow and plant something else any how, as if one was to plant buckwheat now, come late summer, that will be rather un attracting to wild life, so would need to be cut,and re plated with something else any how,
and just a tip in case you didn;t know this
but the,
NWTF, sells last yrs seeds at discounted prices,. as long as its used for wildlife, can get RR corn for like 30-40 bucks a bag, and that's 300-350 dollar a bag corn seed
or that's what I been paying when I got it last!
its normally a spring time deal, but some times bags do get left over after sales and can be had this time of yr,
on ANY older seeds, I always add inoculate to seeds before planting them, it helps IMO< make sure they get the best chance as producing!
cheap fast and easy to add, so worth the small added steps and costs!
I didn't have my heart set on corn...it just sort of happened. I already talked to my seed guy and I can replant some clovers for under $40 an acre....I'll have far more than that wrapped up in the additional fertilizer if I try to replant the corn. I get my seed out from what is leftover in the corn planter from my renter, so I know it's good stuff.....I'll just wait until next year. I'll plant essentially a cover crop and then plant my AWP/wheat/PTT in the early fall like was the original plan. I have also had "late" corn that produced essentially nothing but stalks and that was frustrating to have to then put more work into ensuring I had a plot to draw deer. I need to go see what the deal was with my planter.... I fear the plate had the seed stuck as I just used the same seed plate I used last time.....

I didn't mean to come off "snippy" if I did. I am just a little frustrated....

If you add clover to the buckwheat, make sure you use an inexpensive annual. It is not worth the price of a perennial and you will be terminating it before it does much.

Buckwheat and just so you will learn about it, mix in some sun hemp. My deer loved it first year.

If you have that much in beans, wasting your time on corn. Diversity ... buckwheat is good, but quick growing and will shade out other slow growers. If you only have 2 months, you have to account for germination and drought conditions July/Aug. Throw the area with buckwheat and forget about it for next 45 days. I have ground seeded buckwheat on some of my worst soil areas and it grows.

Buckwheat and just so you will learn about it, mix in some sun hemp. My deer loved it first year.

I replaced my beans with a buckwheat/sunn hemp mix a couple years ago. I've been playing with seeding rates and got some interesting results. In fields with 10/lb ac of each last year, I got thin but adequate buckwheat and it grew fairly tall. The sun hemp stayed fairly short in these fields. In some other fields where I used higher rates, the sunn hemp grew taller than my tractor cab.

This year I used 20 lbs/ac of each and another 3 lbs/ac of WGF sorghum in the mix. So far, I'm seeing a lot of sunn hemp plants and they are growing great. I've finding much less buckwheat and the plants are not nearly as vigorous. The sorghum is light which I expected. I did a min-till/broadcast/cultipack/spray this year. Last year I did not have the cultipacker.

My theory is that the difference is soil temp. I planted early last year, but my soil warmed up earlier. In past years when I tried to double crop buckwheat, I found the first crop was always small and lethargic compared to the second. I think it was soil temp related. This spring was warm early but then got cold and wet and we even had a very late frost that killed my apple grafts. I was running out of time because of equipment scheduling. I'm guessing the soil temp was plenty warm enough for germination, but not for vigorous buckwheat growth. I did not notice much differential browsing between the buckwheat and sunn hemp so I don't think that was a big issue.

Thanks,

Jack

I replaced my beans with a buckwheat/sunn hemp mix a couple years ago. I've been playing with seeding rates and got some interesting results. In fields with 10/lb ac of each last year, I got thin but adequate buckwheat and it grew fairly tall. The sun hemp stayed fairly short in these fields. In some other fields where I used higher rates, the sunn hemp grew taller than my tractor cab.

This year I used 20 lbs/ac of each and another 3 lbs/ac of WGF sorghum in the mix. So far, I'm seeing a lot of sunn hemp plants and they are growing great. I've finding much less buckwheat and the plants are not nearly as vigorous. The sorghum is light which I expected. I did a min-till/broadcast/cultipack/spray this year. Last year I did not have the cultipacker.

My theory is that the difference is soil temp. I planted early last year, but my soil warmed up earlier. In past years when I tried to double crop buckwheat, I found the first crop was always small and lethargic compared to the second. I think it was soil temp related. This spring was warm early but then got cold and wet and we even had a very late frost that killed my apple grafts. I was running out of time because of equipment scheduling. I'm guessing the soil temp was plenty warm enough for germination, but not for vigorous buckwheat growth. I did not notice much differential browsing between the buckwheat and sunn hemp so I don't think that was a big issue.

Thanks,

Jack

interesting observations. I’m still learning about the sun hemp. I sprinkled some in a fall mix last year knowing that it wouldn’t have a lot of time to grow before the first frost. The deer seemed to hunt down every plant and eat the top out of it. I think it might have got a couple of feet tall but never had a chance to do it because of browsing. Planted earlier, I know it can get much taller.

I put sun hemp in a field last year as a trial. Slow growth early season then last 2 months really took off and got to 7'. Very little deer browse. Be aware that sun hemp is a very fibrour material and slow to break down. After a winter of snow and spring rains, still have a thick mat of sun hemp that is not breaking down very quickly. Thick enough that nothing else is growing.

One thought on adding in the clover to the Buckwheat. I wonder if the clover will work. From what I know of clover, it puts most of it's energy into root establishment the first year. So it might be something that comes up next year. Plus the Buckwheat will grow so fast I'm wondering if the clover will establish at all or if it will just get shaded out.

Just some thoughts - I don't have answers.

Sun hemp and cow peas

interesting observations. I’m still learning about the sun hemp. I sprinkled some in a fall mix last year knowing that it wouldn’t have a lot of time to grow before the first frost. The deer seemed to hunt down every plant and eat the top out of it. I think it might have got a couple of feet tall but never had a chance to do it because of browsing. Planted earlier, I know it can get much taller.

About 5 or 6 years ago, I experimented with it for the first time. I just did some small experimental plots and I got the same results as you. Deer browsed every plant when young and it never amounted to much. I wasn't until I had the marstail problem and found RR beans were just making it worse that I had to change. I hit the marstail early in the spring with AMS and planted buckwheat as a smother crop. It didn't cure the problem but it had a positive effect. The next year was my first attempt to plant sunn hemp in quantity in a mix with the buckwheat. My total summer forage plots are 5 to 7 acres. I think the quantity I planted made a difference. Deer could not browse it all.

I put sun hemp in a field last year as a trial. Slow growth early season then last 2 months really took off and got to 7'. Very little deer browse. Be aware that sun hemp is a very fibrour material and slow to break down. After a winter of snow and spring rains, still have a thick mat of sun hemp that is not breaking down very quickly. Thick enough that nothing else is growing.

Very interesting. I found just the opposite. My sunn hemp was solid. It was about 7' tall on my retirement property and I had planted that one thicker. It seemed to out compete much of the buckwheat in the mix there. The soil is better at this location. At any rate, I mowed it and then did min-till and planted WR and clover last fall. I had no problem with breakdown. Sunn hemp is hollow. With mine, anyway, is not even close to corn stalks or sorghum in terms of breakdown time. Maybe the min-tillage made a difference. It was just enough to through a small amount of dirt on the mowed sunn hemp. The soil microbs do speed decomposition.

One thought on adding in the clover to the Buckwheat. I wonder if the clover will work. From what I know of clover, it puts most of it's energy into root establishment the first year. So it might be something that comes up next year. Plus the Buckwheat will grow so fast I'm wondering if the clover will establish at all or if it will just get shaded out.

Just some thoughts - I don't have answers.

That is perennial clover that spends the first year putting down roots. If the OP is going to replant for fall, a perennial clover won't have time to produce and is higher cost seed. An annual clover, Berseem, Crimson, etc. are much quicker to produce top growth because they are not perennials. I think his coop recommendation of clover was to fix some N for the fall plant.

Thanks,

Jack

So my local seed guy is making me a blend of 2 annual clovers (berseem & balansa) with a splash of buckwheat. You all talked me into adding the buckwheat....I don't want it to dominate the plot but instead to have a weak to moderate presence....we will see how the critters like like. Hopefully going in the ground this weekend. My plan is to simply disc the plots again, broadcast and then pack with tractor/lawn mower tires. We have 50% chance of rain coming in on Sunday and thru the first part of next week so hopefully I'll get a little timely rain as well. Them come Labor day time frame....we will burn it all down and plant my fall annuals....