Any ideas for "plan B" plot?

I'd keep the buckwheat component around 10 lbs/ac. It is so fast that it can shade out the clovers if you use rates much higher.

I'd keep the buckwheat component around 10 lbs/ac. It is so fast that it can shade out the clovers if you use rates much higher.
My seed guy does this professionally so I left it up to him and I told him what I wanted. I would suspect that he would even use less than what you suggest, but I will know more when I pick it up. How does buckwheat react to mowing? I could mow strips in it if needed to know the tops out of the buckwheat if it's too heavy.....

My seed guy does this professionally so I left it up to him and I told him what I wanted. I would suspect that he would even use less than what you suggest, but I will know more when I pick it up. How does buckwheat react to mowing? I could mow strips in it if needed to know the tops out of the buckwheat if it's too heavy.....

Yes, 10 lbs/ac is the max I would go. Buckwheat does not respond to mowing like clover and grasses. If you guy knows what he is doing, I'm sure you won't need to mow to get the clover to grow. It just needs some light and water and if the buckwheat is thin, it will get enough. If you wont' want volunteer buckwheat in your fall plant, you can always mow before it goes to seed. You can do this independently of when you terminate the clover for your fall plant.

Thanks,

Jack

Buckwheat is a pretty slender stalk stem ~2-'3' with a couple of leaves at the top. Not much to it really. You can mow and it will regrow, just have to time it right.

60 day sweet corn....

sorry I’m late to the party. I never priced sweet corn but it’s probably stupid expensive.

Hmmm, who knew. I haven’t bought RR corn in a long time but RR sweet corn seems cheaper.
https://www.canamaizeus.com/

I didn’t say cheap. Just cheaper :)

So I posted this on my land tour as well, but here is what I decided:

So I disced the plots, spread the mixed seed and packed with tractor tires. I planted on roughly an acre total....5 lbs berseem clover, 5 lbs of balsana clover and a 3.5 lb bag of antler king slam dunk with a splash of PPT as well. The antler king product has buckwheat, peas, rape and radish in it. I wanted to experiment a little bit and the info on buckwheat and mid June planted brassica has my interest...so I figured I'd go for it. typically not a fan of BOB seed, but for $20 and a little experimentation...I'm not out much. Thanks everyone for the input and I will try to keep updates in my land tour. I got some rain in the forecast for early next week so we will see.....

Please give me a follow up on how your clover turns out. Annual clovers are labeled as fast growing but I have had near zero luck with them in two years. Some pictures would be helpful as I also planted berseem and balsana clovers this spring with a nurse crop of oats in preparation for a TNM radish/turnip plot this fall. My goal with that plot is to make it the most beautiful plot you have ever seen in hopes that it anchors my uncle to it leaving the other property mostly for myself.

Please give me a follow up on how your clover turns out. Annual clovers are labeled as fast growing but I have had near zero luck with them in two years. Some pictures would be helpful as I also planted berseem and balsana clovers this spring with a nurse crop of oats in preparation for a TNM radish/turnip plot this fall. My goal with that plot is to make it the most beautiful plot you have ever seen in hopes that it anchors my uncle to it leaving the other property mostly for myself.
I am sure I will post updates....more than likely in my land tour thread....as I will tend to forget about this thread/post. I post a lot on the land tour thread as it helps me keep all of my progress and failures in one spot as time tends to blur the lines so much. If I remember I will try to post updates here as well, but no promises....

I am sure I will post updates....more than likely in my land tour thread....as I will tend to forget about this thread/post. I post a lot on the land tour thread as it helps me keep all of my progress and failures in one spot as time tends to blur the lines so much. If I remember I will try to post updates here as well, but no promises....
Thanks, I really need to start one myself.

Thanks, I really need to start one myself.
They are nice for keeping the details of things straight. They are like a journal or the like. I often times forget when I planted something or what I planted or how old something is or the like. It's also a great way to show others how YOU do things....good or bad.... I do mine more for me than anything else and from time to time others chime in...which is great too. It also gives me a reason to take more pictures as well. Some folks are pretty serious about it, some are not...it's yours, do with it what you want. I figure if I can show someone, that someone like me can do it...they can too.