Any experience grafting to Hawthorne

Yarg

5 year old buck +
Hello my name is Gary I am in Sullivan County New York and have a lot of Hawthorne. Was hoping to find out if anyone has experience grafting a more productive Wildlife mast, such as larger bearing Hawthorn or pears. Thanks

Can you topwork crab apples?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is grafting crabs to a hawthorn possible? I've got a few nice wild ones along the little woods and that would be a neat option if it would work.

The research I've done thus far State that Apple to Hawthorn will not work. I read that both medlar and quince do very well upon Hawthorn rootstock but have been told that neither will provide good mast for Wildlife. However several pear varieties do very well also so I want to try to find the "right ones" to graft but don't know much about it. Thank you for your replies.

The only issue with grafting pear to hawthorn is that most pears will grow faster than the hawthorn. So at some point, the pear might be so big and heavy that it might break at the graft union. But if I had a bunch of wild hawthorn, I'd be ok if that eventually happened to some trees and you would be able to regraft those. I think if you bark graft to larger diameter hawthorns, you should have a few more years before the top outgrows the hawthorn rootstock.

The only issue with grafting pear to hawthorn is that most pears will grow faster than the hawthorn. So at some point, the pear might be so big and heavy that it might break at the graft union. But if I had a bunch of wild hawthorn, I'd be ok if that eventually happened to some trees and you would be able to regraft those. I think if you bark graft to larger diameter hawthorns, you should have a few more years before the top outgrows the hawthorn rootstock.
Yes I read the same thing one of the recommended methods would be to graft very low toward the ground and then after the graft takes the following year Mound up soil so the pier puts on its own roots. Can you recommend a pear variety and be able to purchase Scion. Thanks for your reply

I wish you would have posted this last week, I could have sent you all the Kieffer, Bartlett and Moonglow you wanted.

I wish you would have posted this last week, I could have sent you all the Kieffer, Bartlett and Moonglow you wanted.

Me too! maybe I should just try whatever pear varieties I could get in to see what works this year. Thank you

Can you topwork crab apples?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes you can. I grafted a bunch of Granny Smith to a Profusion crab last year.

Me too! maybe I should just try whatever pear varieties I could get in to see what works this year. Thank you

I can give you all the Bosc pear scions you want. Let me know when you can pick up in Towanda.

I can give you all the Bosc pear scions you want. Let me know when you can pick up in Towanda.
Thank you.