Ants in trail camera

Y

YoungGuns

Like the title states, I have been having trouble with all of my trail cameras this year (most likely because of all the rain). Out of our 14 moultries only 3 cameras did not have ants that had crawled up inside them. Does anyone have a solution that won't spook the deer, but at the same time will kill the ants? Anyone else having this problem??

Thanks for the help!

Yep. Had ants in several of my cameras too. I just cleaned em up real good. Not sure if they have affected anything.

Yep. Had ants in several of my cameras too. I just cleaned em up real good. Not sure if they have affected anything.

Yeah except for I went back two hours later and the dang things were back in it again! Then I watched a little and they were crawling behind the SD card messing around. Makes me nervous... they leave a really waxy/wet residue that may damage the 'guts' of the camera. :mad:

The yard spray made by Off that is designed for mosquitos kills ants on contact. It is sold in aerosol cans. I used some last weekend on ants that were nesting in my water pump electrical box and my sprinkler timer case (very similar to a trail cam setup). After killing the ants and cleaning up the mess I sprayed a very light coat inside and outside the boxes in hopes that it will deter future invaders. Don't know if this was a long term fix or how the deer will react to it when used on a trail cam.

Ants will kill a camera quick. Moultrie is notorious for it. For some reason they are attracted to the electronics.

Stu's got it permethrin. You can also put a bay leaf inside the camera. Ants don't like bay.

Thanks Bill....good to know!

We also have ants. Will try the permethrin. Thanks .

Go get you some of that Over And Out Fire Ant Killer that you spread on lawns like fertilizer. It is a granular poison that not only kills existing fire ant mounds but keeps any from coming back. Spread it around about a 10' circle around your camera site. Trust me. We have to do that around our breaker box and our well pump at the farm or the ants will gunk them up.