Another must have tool to add to the list - Drip Torch

cavey

5 year old buck +
Over the years here I have added a number of must have tools to spend money on to my habitat/apple/land passions. After another series of spring burns on my land a drip torch is a tool Im adding to the list. Its not a new tool to me at work just that now I own one for myself and would honestly buy another just to have two to do burns with. Invaluable tool, and a life saver as far as burns.... takes it to a completely different level when your working with limited help and equipment.

Honestly the whole rakes, flares, LP weed torches, matches, is good enough - just doesn't cut it for me anymore.

If you burn get one, get two,,, best money you will ever spend for a every once in awhile used tool. Makes wrapping your burns lines a snap, you can light at a pace you never could with anything else... keeps you ahead of the burn... lets you beat the wind shifts and kicks. You can really rip when leaving your Backing fire - zip up the sides and run your head fire, wrapped! without having to drag fire up at a turtle's pace when the fire starts to run. Their a bit messy but worth the hassle.

Attachments

• drip torch.jpg
    drip torch.jpg
    1,006.1 KB · Views: 17
I would never consider running a fire without a drip torch. Major time savor and better way to get the fire to do what you want it to do.

Do you guys have any suggestions for make and model?

Do you guys have any suggestions for make and model?
I think they are pretty much all the same.
This is what I bought.

Same one I have and what we have on our brush trucks at work...

I have dropped mine off my truck 3 times this spring once on a state highway... their pretty tough. (somebody almost got a free one)

I got mine from the same place listed above

I think another added benefit is when you give one to your buddy that is helping you out they feel like they are doing something and not just wasting times breathing smoke.

It also allows you to jump in and back burn out an area a head of a wind shifted or accelerated fire line something that gets a lot of people in trouble. You can really take the steam out of a problem fast. They really let you control the fire. You can efficiently light a line and then stand back and focus on any issues versus trying/committed to drag fire along the line. Anchoring your burn line and extending a continuous line of fire is easier, getting a good/wider black line is easier - Flares and LP torches tend to be spotty. After awhile I felt bad about how much work my buddies were doing with the LP torches I gave them. The last couple fields I turned the drip torch over and just chased problems. I only did about 26 acres but they were tricky burns in pines and adjacent to other crp parcels. Bigger burns I/we wouldnt attempt without multiple cans.

Just thought I would put the hard sell on this little gem of a habitat tool.

So, the silky saw, an actual grafting knife, felco 8, wolverine hardwood tree spade, hi baller tree spade, Brush-pro tree planting bag/back pack like harness, leather strops and diamond sharping tools for the grafting knife and............................. drip torch are some of my go too tools. I've paid for some crap stuff but these have all been great purchases

I think another added benefit is when you give one to your buddy that is helping you out they feel like they are doing something and not just wasting times breathing smoke.

It also allows you to jump in and back burn out an area a head of a wind shifted or accelerated fire line something that gets a lot of people in trouble. You can really take the steam out of a problem fast. They really let you control the fire. You can efficiently light a line and then stand back and focus on any issues versus trying/committed to drag fire along the line. Anchoring your burn line and extending a continuous line of fire is easier, getting a good/wider black line is easier - Flares and LP torches tend to be spotty. After awhile I felt bad about how much work my buddies were doing with the LP torches I gave them. The last couple fields I turned the drip torch over and just chased problems. I only did about 26 acres but they were tricky burns in pines and adjacent to other crp parcels. Bigger burns I/we wouldnt attempt without multiple cans.

Just thought I would put the hard sell on this little gem of a habitat tool.

So, the silky saw, an actual grafting knife, felco 8, wolverine hardwood tree spade, hi baller tree spade, Brush-pro tree planting bag/back pack like harness, leather strops and diamond sharping tools for the grafting knife and............................. drip torch are some of my go too tools. I've paid for some crap stuff but these have all been great purchases

You left out the solo spreader!!!

The Wolverine spade( that I learned about from you) resides in the bed of the Kawasaki mule

I have planted thousands of trees, fixed water line breaks, dug post holes, etc,etc........

And yes, I have the drip torch that you and ST Fanatic have

bill

I think they are pretty much all the same.
This is what I bought.
Forestry suppliers catalogue is a candy store of great "stuff"

bill