Angle Iron Frame Disc vs. Tube Frame

I have a 6 1/2 ft KK angle frame disc i bought 4 yrs ago.I bent the frame on the front left side where the disc hanger attaches.Probably going too fast and hit a rock.I cut out a piece 13 in long,drilled new adjustment holes in it and spliced it back in.Then I got serious.Welded heavy 2 in angle on top of that to now have 2 in sq tube.Cut groves out so I can still adjust the angles.I shorten the top link so only the front gang cuts and drive slower when starting a new spot.Its slower but I only have small plots of 1 acre or less.

It is pretty hard to beat a lot of that old iron with anything even remotely modestly priced that is made today. Every piece of equipment we had was at least 40-50 years old, including the 1949 Farmall H we used to pull them with.
When I got my plow and disc it had set out side for 20 years under a tarp. My grandfather was moving some stuff around and asked if I was interested in it. I looked at it and took it home. I simply greased the bearings on the disc and they have been turning dirt ever since. They look like hell, but work just fine. My wife wanted me to have them blasted and painted - I told her if I did that they wouldn't work as well! I think my plow, disc and plate planter are at least 50's vintage if not older. Sure wouldn't want to farm my 100 acres with it today, but they are great plot tools (I also have a whole $50 total wrapped up in the three of them together).