All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All Day Sits!

M

MoBuckChaser

Now is the time when a guy needs to sit all day bow hunting. But man at my age the body gets stiff. I have some pretty good comfortable ladder stands, but 12 hrs in them ain't getting any easier.

Anyone else feeling the pain?

Get stiff, get tired, get hungry, start thinking about work that needs done... I don't make it all day in the same stand!
I will stalk to another stand sometimes to make it longer into the day.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I think I've got ADD...more than four hours at a time I start getting too fidgety.
I just try and pick my four hour blocks morning and evenings or drive to a different farm and hunt a few hours then come back.

We've got some pretty comfortable box blinds that make all day sits much easier. Can stretch your legs, stand awhile, eat/drink or read without worry of too much movement and noise. I enjoy hunting in the rain but that patter on a tin roof can make it REALLY hard not to catch a wink or 3...absolutely one of the most soothing sounds in the world.

Trying one today... Sitting all day is mentally exhausting for me.

It's 9 o'clock I just had a nice big 8 try to shake me out of my stand. Still I'm ready for coffee and a stretch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Between a stiff back, a bad wheel and the call of nature I just can't seem to do it anymore. My intentions are always good but like H2O I end up picking a four hour slot that fits my schedule. I just can't ever decide if I like mornings or evenings better. The biggest buck I ever killed was after midday. I often wonder how many I've missed by not being there. In the morning I usuallmend up telling myself - just another half hour and try and stretch it a little.

Trying one today... Sitting all day is mentally exhausting for me.

That's the toughest part for me too. My body gets sore, but my brain HURTS. If it wasn't for my smart phone (I'm fortunate to have good service at my farm) it would be even tougher.

I did one all day sit this year, saw deer in the first couple of hours and the last couple of hours. Nothing between 10:00 and 4:00 :eek:

I hate them, but make myself do a few each season.

-John

We have 3 days with NW winds coming that we have needed all season, and they start tomorrow. We will more than likely try and sit all day if the deer are moving. Otherwise I generally sit one hour more than the last deer I have seen. Too much crap to do at the shack to waste all day with no deer moving!

I typically use the 1 hr rule as well. If I havent seen a deer for an hr I usually call it. I know that big deer get killed in the middle of the day, but I dont have any box blinds and usually too much work to do.

I usually try all day sits the weekend before our rifle opener, that's when all my neighbors start their prepping their blinds for the opener. That's this coming weekend so maybe I'll get 2 in, I don't have to go back to work until next Tuesday so I might get some in, I have a ground blind this year so that's another option instead of the tree stand.

Hunting is suppose to be fun! I sit until that little voice in my head says, I`m not having fun anymore, that is when I leave my stand. Sometimes it is three hours, sometimes it is five hours. Sometimes I relocate, sometimes I head for home. I have done all day sits in the past, and never enjoyed them. I know, for me, the kill has become less important then just being in the woods. As long as I see deer now and then I am happy. The buck pictured in my avatar, was an evening two hour sit. I shot him just before quitting time and recovered him in the dark. That two hour sit paid off more then my all day sits ever did.

All day is pretty much all I do. But I'm pretty selective about when I hunt so it's not like I do it dozens of times per season. I usually start hunting around Halloween. I'm 58 and yeah I get a little stiff but I'm still having fun.
I was gonna sit all day today but I didn't have to:)

After so many hours I start imagining I am seeing deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I left the stand after an hour of not seeing deer I'd be back in bed by 8.

58 as well, Tap. My 2 biggest bucks were after long sits or sneak hunting. My biggest was after a morning of standing under some hemlocks during a snow / sleet storm. About 12:30, the sun came out and I continued sneak hunting out to a point of our mountain. Big 10 pt. was following does down the slope. He's on my wall. I saw no deer all morning and was about to give up twice. Glad I stayed !!

My biggest 8 point ( most symmetrical ), was shot about 11:00 a.m. on a freezing cold, blustery day. I kept telling myself " another 1/2 hour " about 4 times. I was frozen from the cold. I was gonna get down from my tree stand, and decided to stay " one more 1/2 hour ". 4 does came into view and kept looking back toward some pines and hemlocks. 2 eight points came out following the does and I picked the biggest, nicest one and he's also on my wall.

Sometimes perseverance pays off. During the first 2 weeks of November archery season, my tree stand sits are dark-to-dark. Those 2 weeks at rut time are prime-time and I can't stay away from the stands when I'm hunting. Work to do today and voting tomorrow, then after voting ....... I head for camp !! :)

Reactions: Tap
58 as well, Tap. My 2 biggest bucks were after long sits or sneak hunting. My biggest was after a morning of standing under some hemlocks during a snow / sleet storm. About 12:30, the sun came out and I continued sneak hunting out to a point of our mountain. Big 10 pt. was following does down the slope. He's on my wall. I saw no deer all morning and was about to give up twice. Glad I stayed !!

My biggest 8 point ( most symmetrical ), was shot about 11:00 a.m. on a freezing cold, blustery day. I kept telling myself " another 1/2 hour " about 4 times. I was frozen from the cold. I was gonna get down from my tree stand, and decided to stay " one more 1/2 hour ". 4 does came into view and kept looking back toward some pines and hemlocks. 2 eight points came out following the does and I picked the biggest, nicest one and he's also on my wall.

Sometimes perseverance pays off. During the first 2 weeks of November archery season, my tree stand sits are dark-to-dark. Those 2 weeks at rut time are prime-time and I can't stay away from the stands when I'm hunting. Work to do today and voting tomorrow, then after voting ....... I head for camp !! :)
I don't know which is harder...all day sits in nasty weather or all day on a warm, sunny day on the South side of the tree with the sun torturing you all day.
I am having issues with staying awake during long sits. I've been in the dream phase 20 feet off the ground! Seriously asleep.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

This shows yet again my need to start using my reading glasses when I look at this forum on my phone.
I was prepared to say the stuff you have to drink with a gallon of apple juice is bad enough, but then the all day "sit" really is horrid before a colonoscopy.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Last edited:
John-just remember it is supposed to be fun.

I can often extend my sits by having two stands close to each other. A field edge stand for early/late and then a woods stand that is nearby for day time movement.

Rarely have ever been able to accomplish an all day sit, and don't hardly try to anymore. Now I will go out hunting all day, but that is at a stand in the morning then to a spot for midday that often includes a nap on the ground then back to a different stand for an evening sit. Wish I had time for more all day hunts this year.