A week at the turkey "dusting tree."

Native Hunter

5 year old buck +
I noticed that turkeys love to dust under big cedar trees. There is one particular tree that I've noticed for years that always looks like someone has run a rotor tiller under it, and more than once I have walked by there and saw them run off.

In the interest of science, I decided to put a cam looking at the tree for a week. My goal was to catch one shaking and get a pic of the air filled with dust.

Note - just noticed that the date on my cam is two months off. These were last week instead of February.

I only got one with dust in the air (and it was a good one) but also got some more pics I thought folks here might enjoy.

This was the most frequent visitor. I must of had him 30 times but this was the only time in daylight:

Somebody else understands dusting trees besides me:

The deer like the dusting tree too:

Here is the best dust bowl pic:

Get a load of this:

[/URL
]

Bearded hen:

[URL=http://s219.photobucket.com/user/Steve_Conover/media/1%20-%20Dusting%20Tree/HUNT0274_zps02078079.jpg.html]

And finally de Easter Bunny decided to visit:

[/URL]

That's neat, thanks. I have a place where there is a couple of those dust bowls on my proeprty too. Mine are near the crest of a hill too.

Great catches. When ever I disc my food plots the turkeys will make dusting bowls on the edge of them.

Thanks guys. Those big cedars around here are the ticket. No sod is ever going to form under them!

Now I'm even more determined to whack that yote. He was a no show this morning, and it will be several days before I can hunt again. My dad has been hunting them a little lately, and will hunt more when the neighbor cuts his hay. He whacked 6 out of the same field last spring.

Nice pics.

What camera is that? Bushnell....

Nice pics.

What camera is that? Bushnell....

Yes, the one that they sell at Wal Mart for $100. I have 6 of them now. First bought last October and not a single one bit the dust yet.

My best luck has been with the most expensive (Reconyx) and cheapest (this one) but not much luck with any of the other mid range priced cameras I've tried.

Yes, the one that they sell at Wal Mart for $100. I have 6 of them now. First bought last October and not a single one bit the dust yet.

My best luck has been with the most expensive (Reconyx) and cheapest (this one) but not much luck with any of the other mid range priced cameras I've tried.

They take nice pics. Like you, my best luck has been with the Reconyx and those are all I have now. I was going to try a Covert this year but will look into this one too. Thanks!

They take nice pics. Like you, my best luck has been with the Reconyx and those are all I have now. I was going to try a Covert this year but will look into this one too. Thanks!

This bushy only uses 4 batteries, so there is a little more battery changing than with a cam that uses 12. But you would be shocked at how long the 4 batteries will last in them.

Great clarity for a camera in that price range! Hope you get that howler..