A Thanks to all you guys

Hey guys,
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the new habitat book has been pushed back to May.

So, here's what I'm going to do. Anyone that wants out, just email me your name and I'll rip up the check (bowwriter@yahoo.com). I'll be gone until after the 12/7. If you haven't emailed me, I'll cash the checks (been holding them until the books ship, but waiting until May will cause the banks to cancel many of them by default). If you do want the check ripped up, I'll send a confirmation email when the check has been shredded.

BTW, I keep getting a few checks trickling in for this, and that's great. Just include a note saying it's for the habitat book. I'm selling paper back versions of Big Buck Secrets for $25 as well and I'd hate to send you the wrong book (already did that with someone).

Hope all your seasons have been awesome!

Something tells me you won't have to shred many checks. I'm sure guys are willing to wait a couple months.

Darn. Was looking forward to some good winter reading.

Thanks guys,
Anyone that ordered it/sent me a check or I did a photo eval for in the last 2 years, PLEASE email me. In that email, include your name (clients) or the name on the check (if you ordered the book). I've got something to tied you over until it arrives.

Also, the publisher has sent me a pdf version of the book to proof before they send it to be printed. I need to hear back from them on this, but I'm trying to make it so I can send the pdf to anyone that sends/sent me a check for the hard cover, and then send the hardcover when it arrives. Even if they say yes to that, NO, I can NOT sell the pdf, as the publisher wouldn't get their cut. If someone wants it, they have to get the hardcover too, to take care of the publisher.

No promise on being able to pull that off, just know that I'm trying to make it happen. I feel bad about the delay and am doing my best to make it right...Will keep you updated.

bowwriter@yahoo.com

Also, as I just posted on QDMA to someone that couldn't afford someone else's book, if any of you honestly can't afford the $25 (no shame in that, almost all of us have been there), kick me an email and I'll send it to you for free. It's the lest I can do.

I just bought it on amazon and the proposed ship date to me was June 7 to 10. Does that sound right?

OK, the publisher just gave me the OK to send anyone that has sent a check already or does before the hardcover is ready the PDFs they sent me to proof. NO, I can NOT sell you the PDFs, as the publisher must get their cut and won't if I do that. However, if you sent or do send me a $25 check, kick me an email and I'll send you a wetransfer file that you can download the PDFs from and then send the hardcover when done. Kick me an email and I'll have it to you today. I'm through the 1st 100 pages of proofing it and haven't found anything that will mislead anything, though some of the captions are in Spanish hahahaha.

P.S. Those of you I just sent copies to "proof" can disregard the portion about not letting others know how you got an advanced copy.

You sure are a good person, Steve. You make a great effort to pay it back to those who have supported you, whether it is financially or just enjoying your ideas and giving you more. Truly a breath of fresh air in the highly commercial/consumer driven hunting "business". There are only a few authors (You and Steve Rinella) in the outdoors that I read and think that they are doing it because they want to share their success and promote reflection/thinking, rather than just simply make money.

Good on ya!

Thanks, Rally. Not sure if I completely deserve that high of praise, but I sure do appreciate it.

All I can say is that I truly believe everything I write and say in my work, but sure can't promise that I'm never wrong. I write/do the TV & web shows specifically with you guys in mind (hardcore hunters &/or managers....You all fit that description, no matter how much or little experience you have, or you wouldn't be on a management form). It's almost always stuff I WISH I could have read/saw years ago. So, it's fun and rewarding work for me (the rush I get from sharing something new and valuable I think I've been able to learn is just shy of the rush received when first learning it).

If you want to thank someone or pat someone on the back, do it to yourselves. 100% no BS, you are the ones that deserve it. Sure, I have my own way of slipping products into things, but you guys are the reason I can get away with not doing infomercials like the overwhelming majority are literally forced to do. You guys take me seriously and follow my work. That is the reason that the majority of the companies I pro staff for are OK with me not cramming their stuff down your throats, while the "celebs" of the world must do backflips for them. Every time one of them brings it up to me, I can and do explain to them that the most hardcore hunters make up those that actually follow my work. You guys generally trust and believe me. You do because I don't try to BS you, purposefully over complicate things or cram products down your throats. If I ever do any of that I will lose all credibility in your eyes and my using those products will no longer be of value, as you'll immediately stop believing me when I tell you that I only accept paid pro staff positions with the companies that I believe make the very best products for my style of hunting (and you should stop believing me if I ever did that). That's part of why I say in 100% sincerity that I could never do this without your support. It's not just all the books & magazines you buy or that you guys are watching the heck out of my web shows on D&DH's facebook page. It's that you give me solid legs to stand on against having to go over the top, and, man, do I appreciate that! You allow me to respect my own work.

Steve I have to ask. The person you mention in the intro that forgot more about apple trees than you know; is that some one from here or was from here? I just had a hunch we all might know who that is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve I have to ask. The person you mention in the intro that forgot more about apple trees than you know; is that some one from here or was from here? I just had a hunch we all might know who that is.

The overwhelming majority of my photo eval clients seem to really like to keep things between us. So, I make a habit of not saying anything on the forums unless they bring it up first. I can tell you that I was being sincere that the knowledge bases of many of my clients really has been humbling.

BTW, I'm still sitting on a whole bunch of checks from people that preordered the book that I don't have email addies for or know who they are on the net (I only offered the book at my cost here and on QDMA...I know some of them jumped ship to a new forum, but that means some of you are hiding in the shadows here too)

If I either did a photo eval from you OR you sent me a check for $25 and haven't gotten the unedited PDFs to tide you over until the hardcover is done, email me and I'll get it out ASAP

bowwriter@yahoo.com

Also, if you have any ?s as you work through the book, feel free to ask them here or email them to me if you'd rather not ask in public

Thanks, Rally. Not sure if I completely deserve that high of praise, but I sure do appreciate it.

All I can say is that I truly believe everything I write and say in my work, but sure can't promise that I'm never wrong. I write/do the TV & web shows specifically with you guys in mind (hardcore hunters &/or managers....You all fit that description, no matter how much or little experience you have, or you wouldn't be on a management form). It's almost always stuff I WISH I could have read/saw years ago. So, it's fun and rewarding work for me (the rush I get from sharing something new and valuable I think I've been able to learn is just shy of the rush received when first learning it).

If you want to thank someone or pat someone on the back, do it to yourselves. 100% no BS, you are the ones that deserve it. Sure, I have my own way of slipping products into things, but you guys are the reason I can get away with not doing infomercials like the overwhelming majority are literally forced to do. You guys take me seriously and follow my work. That is the reason that the majority of the companies I pro staff for are OK with me not cramming their stuff down your throats, while the "celebs" of the world must do backflips for them. Every time one of them brings it up to me, I can and do explain to them that the most hardcore hunters make up those that actually follow my work. You guys generally trust and believe me. You do because I don't try to BS you, purposefully over complicate things or cram products down your throats. If I ever do any of that I will lose all credibility in your eyes and my using those products will no longer be of value, as you'll immediately stop believing me when I tell you that I only accept paid pro staff positions with the companies that I believe make the very best products for my style of hunting (and you should stop believing me if I ever did that). That's part of why I say in 100% sincerity that I could never do this without your support. It's not just all the books & magazines you buy or that you guys are watching the heck out of my web shows on D&DH's facebook page. It's that you give me solid legs to stand on against having to go over the top, and, man, do I appreciate that! You allow me to respect my own work.

Everything you say, comes through loud and clear. You love your work, and people tend to love that.

The overwhelming majority of my photo eval clients seem to really like to keep things between us. So, I make a habit of not saying anything on the forums unless they bring it up first. I can tell you that I was being sincere that the knowledge bases of many of my clients really has been humbling.
Totally understand.

Steve,
I'm about half way through now and enjoying the book. It's always reassuring to know there are others out there who have the affliction as much or more than myself. There are a few flexo-lite ping pong paddle ads in there but not enough to be annoying.

I have a question and hope it's not percieved as me trying to throw out a gotcha or anything. I'm really interested in how you came to one conclusion?

In the chapter where you gave examples of how aggressively to hunt a particular deer, tweenie (spelling?) in particular. You said you knew he was bedding in one of two places.

How? Did you know that?

Do you have a guesstimate on how long a buck will be on his feet after dawn or after it walks by a camera?

A few years ago I killed a home body. I had literally 100's of pictures of him. Lots of pics anywhere from dawn to dawn' thirty. Usually heading from a food plot back to the timber but I don't have a clue where he slept. I'm fairly sure he slept somewhere in my hinge cut areas but no way I could pinpoint which area.

Great question, Bill, and not a "gotcha" at all. I maybe should have stressed it more, but providing the answer was one of the reasons I included the aerial and marked the things I did on it. As it applies to this ?, that's precisely why I included the cam locations that I got his pics from.

As noted, I only included cams where I got his pics. On the larger properties (240 acres or more), I use a ridiculous number of cams. As I get the improvements done (edge feathering w gaps, blockades, sidewalks, clover snake trails and so on), the odds of getting pics of deer using that area increase pretty dramatically. I don't use a ton of cams for hunting, though they certainly help. I use them for educating myself on mature buck tendencies, home ranges, core areas and so on. In a later chapter, you will see the home range and core areas for a bunch of mature bucks and how they relate to each other. That was determined from a truly ridiculous number of cams on 1550 acres of ground, and placing way more than I'd normally be comfortable with in higher impact locations. That's another story though.

At the same time, I'd managed that piece for 4 years already. Through foot scouting each spring, pics and observations, you find that mature bucks gravitate hard to the best big buck bedding spots. I find those spots simply by putting the pieces of the puzzle together, no different than what I did on Tweenie.

In the case of where Tweenie was bedding, historically I'm almost always getting pics of mature bucks leaving those pockets in late Aft/early evening and going back into it in the AM, but pretty rarely popping out on that or another cam in the AMs. Then, add in spring foot scouting showing those pockets literally tore up with buck sign every year and a few, large depressions from repeated bedding. Top that off with having made a habit of squatting down in every bed I've found over the last 30ish years and asking "why are deer bedding here" as I look around at their level and you get a pretty darn good feel for where bucks bed.

So add it all together now. I already know that mature bucks love bedding there based on history (each time you kill one, odds are high another will take over...killed Tweenie last year and this year a 5.5 named Curves slipped in. Before Tweenie it was Tank, a 6.5 year old tank bodied buck. With Curves now dead, I'm really hoping that Mace, a stud 4.5 that somewhat frequents the general area slips in there, as bucks that bed in this area offer very low risk of being killed by anyone but us), which makes perfect sense because of what an awesome view it provides and they're almost never disturbed there (two traits you figure out they really like from squatting and asking why). Right off the bat that makes it one of the areas you believe he is most likely to be bedding in, as he's the stud and the stud almost always takes the best of what the ground offers. Now, add in that the pics you are getting of him around there have a high tendency to be leaving in the afternoon/early evening and coming back in, in the AM (and tend not to be exiting in the AM). You think he's bedding there?

Not trying to be a smart acre. It really is that simple. For soooooooooooooo long soooooooooooo many have tried to make $$$$$$$$$$ off of us by overcomplicating things to sell stuff or sell themselves that we have a hard time seeing how simple things can be, particularly when we manipulate the habitat to work for us. That said, I still put the one cam in the middle of the "sheet" just to make dang sure (not a great idea, tbh, but I really am every bit as focused on learning each season as killing). On any given day that I got his pic on that high impact cam, it was typically the last pic I got of him in the AM and the first in the PM, with a couple rogue middle of the night pics. To me, that removed any doubt he was bedding there.

History of mature buck bedding + area screaming prime buck bedding + 1st pics in the PM + last pics in the AM = extremely high odds he's bedding there

Unlike the risky move I made with the one cam placement (minimized by timing the cam setup and chip swap for super windy days, with the "right" wind direction, but still risky), a person doesn't need definitive proof. In fact, getting it is a needless risk. A solid educated guess is very often enough to allow us to kill a buck in most cases.

All that said, is that any chance he ever bedded anywhere else? On the home range/core area portion you'll come to later, is there any chance that the boundaries aren't exactly as drawn? The answer is an obvious yes to both. In fact, I'd be shocked if both weren't the case. However, I'm supremely confident that the home range and core area boundaries are pretty darn accurate (more than accurate enough to make the point in that chapter) and that Tweenie bedded where I said way more often than not. I'm afraid that's is accurate as we can ever really get, but it's plenty accurate for our hunting and management purposes.

As far as the "flexo-lite ping pong paddle ads" are concerned, I can live with mentioning what I use (which is why I've left so much $$$$$$$ laying on the table over the years by not pro staffing for a bunch of various companies that offered me some really nice paychecks). I'd rather not, but actually consider myself extremely lucky that I am not forced to go further. You guys are ultimately the reason I don't have to. Every time I'm pushed, I merely tell the company that my following is made up of the most serious hunters and managers out there. If I start cramming infomercials down their throats, they stop taking me seriously and I am no longer of any value to the company. By taking the approach I do, most of you guys believe me when I say I only pro staff for the companies I believe make the products that best fit my needs/style, as it's true. When I write/talk about the Firminator being the very best ATV implement I've ever used, you may not agree, but you have the strong tendency to believe I mean it and that I wouldn't say that just for $$$$$$$$, if I didn't....Long way of saying thank you.. You guys give me the ability to respect my own work and that's invaluable to me. I know I wrote that above, but the thanks is worth repeating.

As a side note, I haven't been paid a cent by Firminator. They let me use $15000 of their equipment this year (which they will be taking back) and sponsored Grow em Big (that $ is paid directly to D&DH. D&DH offered me a % of the sponsorship $, but I turned it down for a flat fee for the show, instead. That cost me $ this year, but made it so I didn't HAVE to promote any of the sponsors' products). I'll gladly explain any of this to anyone. I'm quite honestly lucky and proud of how I've been able to position myself in those regards. It's NOT the norm, and I have you all to thank for that in a very big way.

Good stuff Steve. I know you don't like to make buck beds specifically but did you enhance the spot on the spot that Tweenie and the others liked to bed?

I think the industry as a whole would benefit from this way of thinking. I can't believe that at least a few others have not adopted your business method . Obviously a successful approach.

Good stuff Steve. I know you don't like to make buck beds specifically but did you enhance the spot on the spot that Tweenie and the others liked to bed?

I did a little bit of enhancing this past winter, well after I killed him, but the bedding area was 100% natural while he lived.

Even when doing the enhancements, I didn't make a buck bed. I created doe bedding closer to the food and dropped a few trees for enhanced cover and browse in the buck bedding areas. There was/is no reason to make "buck beds" there, as it's a lock one of the most dominant bucks on the property is going to bed there every year as is. It's naturally that good and they're there already. In that case, all I can do is screw it up, as you aren't making it better. It's already as good as it gets.

I make buck beds every year. 90+% are just to keep experimenting, trying to improve/learn. I honestly believe they are generally the most overrated "improvement" one can make.