A Thanks to all you guys

Steve Bartylla

5 year old buck +
Hey guys. I know I've said a handful of times how much I appreciate you all directly/purposefully and indirectly/accidentally supporting my career. I've also mentioned that the learning sure isn't a one way street with me here. I've picked up a handful of new ideas, had my eyes opened to a bunch of different ways of looking at things and you all have done way more than you'll ever realize or I can put in words to explain how you've helped show me the most effective ways to articulate all sorts of stuff (i.e. when I didn't include addressing _____ in a post, virtually no one understood what I meant, but including it made all the difference in the world. If some of the best habitat guys around didn't get it without that inclusion, how in the world can I expect your average habitat guys to get it....all sorts of stuff like that).

Anyway, I'm going to put my $ where my mouth is. I just finished my habitat book a couple weeks ago. It's 80,000 words, an almost ridiculous number of picture, including a bunch of real world and a few made up plans, full color and hard cover. The link at the bottom is for Amazon's preorder page (DON'T buy it there, unless you want to spend $10 extra for no reason...I just included it to show the book is real, or will be once the publisher is done). Its 15 chapters, not counting the Acknowledgements and intro, divided into 3 section: how to hunt managed ground (not how-too hunting, but how-too hunt managed ground without the deer knowing you're there), how to manage the habitat and a smidge on how to manage deer. I tried not to spend much time on things that have already been written on to death. For example, there's only one chapter on planting food plots, and the portion dedicated to traditional planting methods only makes up 10ish % of that chapter, as there are already all sorts of great resources available on how to plant food plots. I had no desire to waste space on things already readily available. Instead, I tried to focus as much as I could on things I find important that everyone doesn't either already know or could find quality info on without much digging.

Flat out, this book is at least twice as good as it would have been if I hadn't known you guys for this long.

So, here's what I'm going to do. The price for me to buy my own book is going to be in the low 20s. Anyone of you that want it, send me a check for $25 and I'll sign and send it when it arrives (likely in Mid December). That way, my costs and shipping are covered, but I won't be making a cent on it (I don't get royalties on any books I write that I buy myself). Since you all made this book so much better than it otherwise would have, by being so invaluable in teaching me the level one needs to get to for others to understand, as well as needing to mention so many exceptions and such, I feel the least I can do is give it to you at my true cost.

Absolutely no worries if you don't want it (no B.S., this is really meant as a thanks). If you do, send $25, along with the address you want it shipped to and name to sign it too (or if you don't want it signed) to the address below. I won't even cash them until the books ship (so, don't expect the checks to cash before some time in Nov or Dec).

Steve Bartylla
1406 Saint Joseph Ave
Marshfield, WI 54449

Finally, thanks. It sincerely wouldn't have been half the book if it weren't for you all.

http://www.amazon.com/Landowners-Guide-Management-Habitat-Improvement/dp/1440245525/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1440700390&sr=1-5&keywords=steve bartylla&pebp=1440700397836&perid=1WATQ7C0MRA9ZJX0R6G8

P.S. I'll be copy/pasting this to QDMA's site, as well. They've helped me a bunch, too. You won't see me offering it anywhere else at cost, though.

Last edited:
Better not be any pictures of me doing any work (if any such pictures actually exist), but I signed no release and I'm in the mood to hire MO to take somebody to task.

Buddy, I don't have a single picture of you doing any work, so no worries there. That said, I did include a few of you standing next to work I did, making it appear it was your work.

I REALLY like the pics and footage I got of you and the dog inside the bedding area I made (he was making a sidewalk while I did the bedding area). I'm not sure what it is about that pic/footage, but it just works for me on a bunch of levels.

Ironic you post this today. Earlier in the day I was finishing up an order on the cabelas site and needed another item or two to get me over the $150 mark so I could use my $20 off coupon. Just by chance I decided to check if they had your 2nd or 3rd book, I already have the 1st. Sure enough they had your 2nd book for $19.95 and I ordered it.

Consider 25 bucks coming your way.

Thanks, Brad, but don't send the $. You're getting one for free, as will anyone I've done plans for over the last 2 years, and I may even stretch that out to the last 5 years.

Steve any possibilities that I can stop in some day and pick one up one up when you get them.

Thanks, Bueller. I learned a valuable lesson on that second book...Never do books as pure work for hire. Always work commission on book sales into the contract. I did get very good up front money for it, but they've sold the snot out of that book and I left more than half of what I should have made on the table with that one.

Steve any possibilities that I can stop in some day and pick one up one up when you get them.

Sure. I haven't forgotten about getting over to your place, either. Of course, just about when things open up for me will be when a person doesn't want to be running around the woods anymore. That said, I can't imagine ever allowing myself to be as busy as I have been this past year, ever again. I just got done with a 3 month stretch without a day off, working 12-16 hrs, 6 days a week and 4-10 the 7th. I'm glad I did and thankful as heck for the opportunity, but I'm not doing that again....no fair to the family

Just PM me & we can set something up to fit your schedule.

I ordered a book from another guru 3 years ago, It was ramblings that Ted Kaczynski couldn't figure out!:eek: I should have sat him down and taught him some things before he thought he would put it in print.

Congrats on the new book Steve, I may order one that you can sign and send to Dipper.;)

Congrats on the new book Steve, I may order one that you can sign and send to Dipper.;)

If its for Dipper I have something I would like to smear inside it.

If its for Dipper I have something I would like to smear inside it.

That was suppose to be mine and Steve's secret!

Thanks, MO. I`ll tell ya what, though. Those back and firths I had with Dipper, particularly over on QDMA helped this book a lot. Honestly, those and many others reinforced how specific I'd need to be on a whole bunch of topics or they'd be misunderstood.

Thanks, MO. I`ll tell ya what, though. Those back and firths I had with Dipper, particularly over on QDMA helped this book a lot. Honestly, those and many others reinforced how specific I'd need to be on a whole bunch of topics or they'd be misunderstood.

That is what will separate you from the others if that is true.

And when you heading over to my place so you have enough info for the next book?:D

Thanks MO. I`m sure not saying everyone should look at things the same way I do (it'd be a pretty boring world if they did). For me, I just never have taken anything on the net personally anyway. So, it was easy to look at those types of interactions as a challenge. No one is ever going to or should agree with everything I believe that's related to habitat, deer, hunting and so on. Still, if I can put it in a way that they understand, that's all I ask for.

I hope I'm not out of line in saying this, but I don't think it's a reach to say that Dipper is just a touch cynical regarding people in the hunting industry. At the same time, he has very strong opinions on darn near everything. Defending my positions with him made me have to think deeper on how to state things in very specific terms. That way, when he argued back, at least we'd be arguing about what I truly meant, not what he assumed I meant (It's human nature to assume the worst when one has strong preconceived notions on the subject). That really did influence how I wrote this book and a bunch of other stuff since. He helped teach me the need to remove as many grey areas as one realistically can and replace them with very specific points...I owe him for that, just like most all of you helped me in other ways.

No B.S.. I told brooks on the phone this afternoon I was going to do this and why.

Thanks MO. I`m sure not saying everyone should look at things the same way I do (it'd be a pretty boring world if they did). For me, I just never have taken anything on the net personally anyway. So, it was easy to look at those types of interactions as a challenge. No one is ever going to or should agree with everything I believe that's related to habitat, deer, hunting and so on. Still, if I can put it in a way that they understand, that's all I ask for.

I hope I'm not out of line in saying this, but I don't think it's a reach to say that Dipper is just a touch cynical regarding people in the hunting industry. At the same time, he has very strong opinions on darn near everything. Defending my positions with him made me have to think deeper on how to state things in very specific terms. That way, when he argued back, at least we'd be arguing about what I truly meant, not what he assumed I meant (It's human nature to assume the worst when one has strong preconceived notions on the subject). That really did influence how I wrote this book and a bunch of other stuff since. He helped teach me the need to remove as many grey areas as one realistically can and replace them with very specific points...I owe him for that, just like most all of you helped me in other ways.

No B.S.. I told brooks on the phone this afternoon I was going to do this and why.

A Touch? Hahahahahahahahahahaha!

No, I really believe it's true, MO. I doubt most picked up on it, but I got the sense that he may not naturally care for people like Jeff Sturgis, Don Higgins. I'm just going to take a wild guess that he may not be a member of The Bone Collector's fan club or waiting in line at Deer Fest to get his pic taken with Lee & Tiffy. I know that sounds shocking to some, but I'm very perceptive that way and pick up on extremely subtle clues.

No, I really believe it's true, MO. I doubt most picked up on it, but I got the sense that he may not naturally care for people like Jeff Sturgis, Don Higgins. I'm just going to take a wild guess that he may not be a member of The Bone Collector's fan club or waiting in line at Deer Fest to get his pic taken with Lee & Tiffy. I know that sounds shocking to some, but I'm very perceptive that way and pick up on extremely subtle clues.

Everybody Picked up on it! You can bet your ass on that!