A few Wildflowers for your viewing pleasure

Great thread!

Well those aphids look terrifying. Any other beneficial eat them, or are they one of those mysterious invasives with no predator?

Well those aphids look terrifying. Any other beneficial eat them, or are they one of those mysterious invasives with no predator?

From the little I've read ladybugs prey on them. These aphids supposedly only feed on goldenrod and do not harm the plant. I want to keep an eye on the area to see what happens to the affected goldenrods.

A Hummingbird Moth at the Milkweed patch0714171313a.jpgWho doesn't like to see some Black Eyes Susans20200715_190557.jpgNot a wildflower but look at this little Rough Green Snake hanging out. Not my favorite thing to find hanging at eye level but harmless 20200618_183434.jpg

From the little I've read ladybugs prey on them. These aphids supposedly only feed on goldenrod and do not harm the plant. I want to keep an eye on the area to see what happens to the affected goldenrods.

They gonna produce a sticky substance called honeydew that may result in something called sooty mold - black spots - on leaves on the plant.

Here is a little different take on honeydew - in relation to bee keeping - and the fact that it has been a product for human consumption. Enjoy ...
https://beeinformed.org/2014/09/25/honeydew-a-mixed-blessing/

They gonna produce a sticky substance called honeydew that may result in something called sooty mold - black spots - on leaves on the plant.

Here is a little different take on honeydew - in relation to bee keeping - and the fact that it has been a product for human consumption. Enjoy ...
https://beeinformed.org/2014/09/25/honeydew-a-mixed-blessing/

Interesting article, thanks for posting Oakseeds.

WD ... you are welcome; always happy to share. :emoji_relaxed:

I know this isn't one of our favorites but the bugs like it. I let this one go but I do have a coffee can full if Thistle heads i chopped off that need burnt!20200722_181116.jpgThe first of the Purple Coneflower here, one of my favorites!20200722_180237.jpg

Nice pics. See your beebalm is red, mine are more purple but maybe a name applied to a few different plants

Hear ya on the thistles. Dont like em either but seems the monarchs really do. Most of my food plots are clover but the random thistles in plot are always getting attention from monarchs and bumblebees even while clover full bloom. I still mow em down, no shortage in other spots too rocky to mow

Coneflowers are a favorite too.

Nice pics. See your beebalm is red, mine are more purple but maybe a name applied to a few different plants

Hear ya on the thistles. Dont like em either but seems the monarchs really do. Most of my food plots are clover but the random thistles in plot are always getting attention from monarchs and bumblebees even while clover full bloom. I still mow em down, no shortage in other spots too rocky to mow

Coneflowers are a favorite too.

I have purplish/bluish Beebalm in a flower bed next to the garage. My grandmother probably planted it there 30 + years ago im guessing. There already done flowering for the year. Probably a full month ahead of the red ones in the picture above. I've only ever seen red in the wild here

Hummingbird moths are cool! I had never seen or heard of them until last year.
Very nice pics and varieties of flowers woodduck.

Hummingbird moths are cool! I had never seen or heard of them until last year.
Very nice pics and varieties of flowers woodduck.

Thank you. The last few years I've tried to identify the wildflowers I find. Ive also been trying to introduce some too. It's been fun posting them on this thread. By no means is this an educational thread (I'll leave that to Native Hunter :emoji_grin:) Just something for everyone to enjoy. I'm glad you enjoy the pics.

I hadn't realized there were Hummingbird Moths until last year either. If you look close there's one in the Bugbane pic to. He flew off before I could get close enough.

Anyone want coneflowers from seed? Did some this spring around April, haven't had any come up yet. Wondering if they are a harder seed and need some stratification time (?). Or perhaps just failed to emerge..

Anyone want coneflowers from seed? Did some this spring around April, haven't had any come up yet. Wondering if they are a harder seed and need some stratification time (?). Or perhaps just failed to emerge..

I have planted a lot of coneflower and to really get them going takes a couple years. I wouldn't worry if you don't see much the first season, mine really turned on in year three.

Post #183
http://habitat-talk.com/index.php?threads/my-land-tour-the-big-woods.8704/page-10

H20fwler is right they take a couple years to establish. The 1st year there are putting a lot of energy into there root system. Theres an old saying that goes something like..... First they creep then they leap. I plant a lot of clusters of wildflowers and I Mark some of them with a stake and ribbon so I can go back and check on them. A lot of times weeds and grasses seem to choke them out before they ever get started.

Awesome feedback, thanks!