A Christmas Gift for my Kids.....

foggy

5 year old buck +
So, I saw a couple of these "deer" at a gift shop.....and decided to buy a tenon cutter kit (they have them at FF). This is my first draft, so don't be too hard on me. :D I got a few more to make....and need to refine a few things.

There's still time for those on your Christmas list that like the hand-hewn stuff. Takes about an hour to make one.....after you have the wood cut. A good vice is handy when using the tenon cutter. Pics to follow below.

be39bcb30f9ffaeff90626a988314616.jpg

0a9b8b0a96376f587a3f2049a2f1190e.jpg

bc840eae5b5a94f4d1d44393277c2bde.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having a good vice and a 1/2" drill is important. The tenon cutter is pretty aggressive and you need a good grip. I need to work on the ears and tail.....but you get the drift. May try to bag a ten-pointer next. ;)

Some dry wood would help. This green stuff is hard on my shop band saw. May fire up my sawzall to make ears and tails ?

Head straight for the thirty pointer. Quit messing around.

Head straight for the thirty pointer. Quit messing around.

Just like Art.....I don't always have to take the biggest. I'm happy with a forkie....and they don't taste bad after you get past the sawdust. ;)

I can see it now. Foggy's lawn furniture & crafts.

I got an EZ Chair on the horizon. :)

I don't give christmas gifts like that, Mine would turn out the same way.....;):D

My wife says they are "cute". If they don't pan out....you can always have a campfire. :)

My wife says they are "cute". If they don't pan out....you can always have a campfire. :)
Birch backstraps. Better use a lot of tenderizer.

My Dad made one of those for me, many yeas ago.

I just had an idea....how much to buy one from you? I would love to go out in the middle of the nite and set one in front of my buddies stand out about 20yrds. Actually I would order two. Make the other one with no antlers. :D
THAT'S IT! Gonna put one in front of my grandsons stand this year. Always do some kind of new gag each year. Thanks! (Oh.....and I aint making any for you guys :p)

How well made is that cutter?

How well made is that cutter?

Seems pretty well made. Expensive for what it is. You could make 'em. ;)

It's been in the back of my mind for a few years.

There's a saw mounted version that's interesting.

I'm old school though. I'm in the "leave another man's gig alone" minority. But making some rustic cabin wares isn't out of the question.

I just had an idea....how much to buy one from you? I would love to go out in the middle of the nite and set one in front of my buddies stand out about 20yrds. Actually I would order two. Make the other one with no antlers. :D
Years back my brother & I found a road kill doe, during rifle season. His wife's cousin was coming for a hunt and we took that doe and set it up near his stand. He emptied the rifle, reloaded and emptied again. Couldn't for the life of him figure out why it didn't run.

Every shadow and bush looks like a deer when walking by moonlight out to your stand after 4hrs sleep.

Just glad to know I'm not the only one who hallucinates while walking in the dark. :D

*I've never shot at anything I couldn't ID.

About 40 years ago, I hunted with an old guy who had a story from many years ago in northern Mn.
He was walking through the woods and jumped a deer. He slammed a shot into it. It jumped up and he shot again. Happened three or more times.
As he got closer, he saw the deer was in a snare that was hanging from a sappling and it was just bouncing from the weight after the first shot.

Foggy- be careful, those deer could sway our aerial surveys and lead non-hunting area managers or Big game coordinators to make bad choices. They might not recognize the differences from live deer.

Or makes does and sell them for people with doe tags in areas where does should not be harvested.

I think it will be pretty neat......when the sun begins to cast enough light on opening morning......and on the other side of the food plot......stands this faux deer, complete with an orange bow on it. Oughta put a grin on those kids faces. I can see the text's from my grandsons now. :D