30 Acres Eau Claire County, WI

shawnv

5 year old buck +
I have so much invested into my home place that be best thing to do is sell part of the land I inherited from my dad this year (I would really love to keep it). It's full of deer, bear, turkey's and small game. Contact Weiss Realty for a showing.

http://weisschoice.com/property.php?ID=1109

Looks nice, about 50 minutes from my house.

Me likey! Is this in the new Farmland Zone or the Forest Zone of EC county. Now you are going to get me in trouble with the wife, because I am going to be nagging her on this. Like an hour from "home" too!

according to the directions on the link this appears to be west of Hwy 12/27 which puts it in the Central Farmland Zone (barely)

Edit: actually I think the boundary may be country road R in this section which puts it in the Central Forest Zone

2nd Edit: interactive map of the boundries
http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/hunt/dmu.html

This is definitely in the Central Forest Zone

Last edited:
That's kind of what I figured, which is totally fine by me, there will always be more antlerless opportunities in the Farmland Zones than in the Forest Zones.

Crap...just saw your edit. That in itself is not a deal breaker though.

Super close to the Farmland Zone boundary though.

Last edited:
That is a beautiful property. Is surrounded by a lot of smaller tracts of private, big private chunks or public ground?

Me likey! Is this in the new Farmland Zone or the Forest Zone of EC county. Now you are going to get me in trouble with the wife, because I am going to be nagging her on this. Like an hour from "home" too!
Cmon whip get back in the game with this one ;)

It's in the forest zone of EC County, but it's not like rest of the forest zone because there are deer all over. If you notice the food plot pics, what I planted in august is not getting more than 3-4" tall.

That is a beautiful property. Is surrounded by a lot of smaller tracts of private, big private chunks or public ground?
It's only a few miles from lots of public land but South of 12 is all private. Most in the area own anywhere from 40-160 acres. I will say the public land close does hold some decent bucks and make a nice secondary spot to hunt. I know guys who have shot some 130"-150" deer there even in late season.

Last edited:
according to the directions on the link this appears to be west of Hwy 12/27 which puts it in the Central Farmland Zone (barely)

Edit: actually I think the boundary may be country road R in this section which puts it in the Central Forest Zone

2nd Edit: interactive map of the boundries
http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/hunt/dmu.html

This is definitely in the Central Forest Zone

It's close to R but but it's not the South Border. It is in the central Forest Zone.

Last night I had my daughter there and we had a buck (not sure if it was the 12pt or not) come downwind and bust us. Otherwise we saw a few turkeys and a couple does.

The ad doesn't mention it but I think there has been about 20 turkeys taken there since 97', 3 bears 225-350lbs and of course it has a history of P&Y bucks of which my dad had killed a few (plus a number of misses). Not bad for 30 acres!

I will disclaim that my dad before he passed away was not a mobile hunter and would hunt the same stand from late Oct on daily and also smoked on the stand for many years which probably means he could have even been more successful than he was. He was happy with what he had and how he hunted so who am I to tell him any different.

I'll be honest, a big part of me doesn't want to sell it because I know I can make it even better but I have so much invested into my home place that it just makes long-term sense to sell it.

The ad doesn't mention it but I think there has been about 20 turkeys taken there since 97', 3 bears 225-350lbs and of course it has a history of P&Y bucks of which my dad had killed a few (plus a number of misses). Not bad for 30 acres!

I will disclaim that my dad before he passed away was not a mobile hunter and would hunt the same stand from late Oct on daily and also smoked on the stand for many years which probably means he could have even been more successful than he was. He was happy with what he had and how he hunted so who am I to tell him any different.

That is a great track record. I really wish I could convince my wife into purchasing another small property but I don't think she will bite. Good luck with the sale!

Thanks, at this price point I do not expect it to last long. I know there was some calls on it already.

Oh as a side note, my monther-in-law is buying the house and 10 acres next to this so she would be the most immediate neighbor so I would be happy to help out whoever buys it be it plotting, hinge cutting or just keeping an eye on the place.

Capital Gains does not apply because I'm not selling for more than it's worth when I received it. I'm actually selling the overall property at a loss because I'm giving my mother-in-law a nice discount on the house and 10 acres.

You sure you want to sell in the same you you got the property? Would you not be killed with short term Capital Gain Taxes?

The basis in inherited land is the FMV at the date of death.

edit: of course that is the simple rule, there are always exceptions.

Cmon whip get back in the game with this one ;)
That's a lot of pressure bueller, especially with 2 daughters still working towards degrees and one of them with twins! I am working on it though! Anyone got any suggestions on "creative financing"? Plan to put in a 5 acre Christmas tree plantation and get an ag-type loan maybe?

That's a lot of pressure bueller, especially with 2 daughters still working towards degrees and one of them with twins! I am working on it though! Anyone got any suggestions on "creative financing"? Plan to put in a 5 acre Christmas tree plantation and get an ag-type loan maybe?

I think Agstar lends in Wisconsin? They will do recreational properties that have timber without planting anything additional. I think there are better interest rates though.