3 Point vs Pull Behind Spreader

B

BJE80

Having trouble which to look for. The pullhind would be nice because you could still use an ATV to spread rather than always using a tractor. But you could still use the tractor if you wanted to. The 3 point is cheaper and basically the same unit, would take up less space but would take longer to hook up than just a ball and hitch. The 3 point also holds quite a bit more in weight as least. I would not get the cheap pull behind if I went that route. I would want a quality heavy duty one.

0000000031101.jpg

vs.

0000000010020.jpg

Some of the pull behinds are rather tippy on uneven plot surfaces, if you don't have that concern, they are more versatile, as they can be pulled by multiple things. I know guys who pull them behind their pickups and have a guy stand in the bed and pour bags of pell lime in as it gets low.

Some of the pull behinds are rather tippy on uneven plot surfaces, if you don't have that concern, they are more versatile, as they can be pulled by multiple things. I know guys who pull them behind their pickups and have a guy stand in the bed and pour bags of pell lime in as it gets low.

Wisc that is why I said I would not buy a cheap one.

It would one like this that weighs 290 lbs itself with a nice wheelbase.
http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/king-kutter-atv-seeder-spreader/0000000031101

I went with the PTO one simply because we have a tractor. I saw no reason to spend the additional money to get the pull behind one.

I went with the PTO one simply because we have a tractor. I saw no reason to spend the additional money to get the pull behind one.

Did you ever consider having pull behind one so that you could have one person spreading while you are working with the tractor on a different plot or different part of the plot? That was one thing is that I could have the wife/kids driving the ATV with the spreader while I am discing or whatever. Just thinking out loud.

I think I will be able to get my tractor to all plots but I guess you never know about future plans.

Loyal-Roth makes a good one as well. I think a few guys on the forum have these.

Loyal-Roth makes a good one as well. I think a few guys on the forum have these.

Nope. Not anymore. Loyal doesn't make the ATV disc or spreader anymore. :(

I love their stuff too.

That sucks!

Most of those lower-priced spin-spreaders are made by Cosmo. I have a three point model, and often wish I had a pull behind to use with our 4 wheeler. That would free up my tractor for other things (tiller) when planting or fertilizing. I have also heard that some are a bit tippy.....but the wider models would be fine on my land.

Thing is....I only paid $300 fora new 3-point Cosmo spreader.

I have a 3 point version of what you are talking about - biggest thing I like with 3 point is that I can get a wider or narrower spread based on height and PTO speed - regardless of ground speed.

Most of those lower-priced spin-spreaders are made by Cosmo. I have a three point model, and often wish I had a pull behind to use with our 4 wheeler. That would free up my tractor for other things (tiller) when planting or fertilizing. I have also heard that some are a bit tippy.....but the wider models would be fine on my land.

Thing is....I only paid $300 fora new 3-point Cosmo spreader.

I have a 3 point version of what you are talking about - biggest thing I like with 3 point is that I can get a wider or narrower spread based on height and PTO speed - regardless of ground speed.

Ugh.... Both valid points. Both of these factors are really nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
My choice was easy......I don't own an ATV/UTV:D

Just some other things to consider. If you are using the spreader are you going to have a means to transport additional material? I typically load my spreader and then put the additional material in the FEL. Do you have the means to do something similar if your pulling the spreader with your ATV? If you use the pull type on your tractor you will have to watch really tight turns to avoid the rear tire catching the tongue of the spreader. Will you use the spreader in places you can't or won't take the tractor - like maybe the yard. Is your access to where you intend to use the spreader rough or steep where the trailer type bouncing around could be a hazard? Do you even have the ability to add a ball hitch to your tractor - I assume so, but just asking.

Just some other things to consider. If you are using the spreader are you going to have a means to transport additional material? I typically load my spreader and then put the additional material in the FEL. Do you have the means to do something similar if your pulling the spreader with your ATV? If you use the pull type on your tractor you will have to watch really tight turns to avoid the rear tire catching the tongue of the spreader. Will you use the spreader in places you can't or won't take the tractor - like maybe the yard. Is your access to where you intend to use the spreader rough or steep where the trailer type bouncing around could be a hazard? Do you even have the ability to add a ball hitch to your tractor - I assume so, but just asking.

If you are using the spreader are you going to have a means to transport additional material? I would be using the spreader, FEL and bed of my UTV. Pretty much the same way you do it. If I am using bagged material I can pile a lot of stuff in the bed of my UTV.

If you use the pull type on your tractor you will have to watch really tight turns to avoid the rear tire catching the tongue of the spreader. Noted and valid point.

Will you use the spreader in places you can't or won't take the tractor - like maybe the yard. Not the yard but it is possible I could have a plot I would want to spread that I can't get the tractor too. Don't know for sure at this point.

Is your access to where you intend to use the spreader rough or steep where the trailer type bouncing around could be a hazard? Not steep at all. It could get rough if I rut it up at all once I fix my trails.

Do you even have the ability to add a ball hitch to your tractor - I assume so, but just asking. Yes it has a draw bar.

Did you ever consider having pull behind one so that you could have one person spreading while you are working with the tractor on a different plot or different part of the plot? That was one thing is that I could have the wife/kids driving the ATV with the spreader while I am discing or whatever. Just thinking out loud.
Absolutely I considered it. But the fact is the guys on the ATVs can be doing other stuff too. Pulling drags, tilling trails, spreading seed on other plots, etc.
We have the tractor going and there is no shortage of many other tasks every spring that we have multiple people doing on ATVs already.

They each have their advantages or disadvantages everyone has talked about this already maybe you should look at your overall budget see which one would allow you to buy more implements.

Last edited:
I suppose that is why they make different models......different strokes for different folks. ;)

The first time you tip over your spreader with wheels you will decide not to fill it over half way ever again. The next time you tip it over you will cuss yourself for buying something wit turf tires when you dont have smooth turf drive on.

Unless your plots are lawn smooth I go with the 3 point and maybe a cover to keep the round pellets from sloshing out the sides when you hit a hole.

I agree 100%. I'm a slow learner and it took three times of tipping it over and I'm all 3pt now. Man that made me mad.

Any update on when your getting your tractor?