24d vs triclopyr advice

weekender21

5 year old buck +
I’m dealing with a few stubborn annual and perennial plants. Last year they really got an upper hand and made a noticeable decrease in foot plot yield despite a double gly application 2 weeks apart.

After the first gly application in August 2021 the plot appeared completely burned down but closer inspection revealed small green plants that survived and were pretty thick in a few areas. I spot sprayed those areas (2nd gly application) and planted.

The fall plot turned out ok but the biggest offender (smooth hawksbeard) was really thick in a few spots and successfully outcompeted the fall crop.

July 2022 mature smooth hawksbeard, Oxeye Daisy also present. This plot was created in 2018, I have never sprayed in the spring/summer.

218c7bf59775e4f13b1ed183fbf2e29a.jpg

I’m planning to spray and plant when time/weather permits in August or September. Should I add 24d or Triclopyr to my usual 2-4 quarts/acre of Gly?

Zone 6b, elevation 3k, western NC mountains.

If I can’t figure it out this fall I may terminate the cool season crop in May 2023 and plant a heavy summer crop in hopes to smother the summer annuals/perennials.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
maybe just a heavier dose of gly if it did the trick last year.

maybe just a heavier dose of gly if it did the trick last year.

It didn’t. 2x applications in August and still very thick carpet of smooth hawksbeard.

I think over browsing is contributing. I’m looking for a really good kill to give my cool season plot a head start.

I’m dealing with a few stubborn annual and perennial plants. Last year they really got an upper hand and made a noticeable decrease in foot plot yield despite a double gly application 2 weeks apart.

After the first gly application in August 2021 the plot appeared completely burned down but closer inspection revealed small green plants that survived and were pretty thick in a few areas. I spot sprayed those areas (2nd gly application) and planted.

The fall plot turned out ok but the biggest offender (smooth hawksbeard) was really thick in a few spots and successfully outcompeted the fall crop.

July 2022 mature smooth hawksbeard, Oxeye Daisy also present. This plot was created in 2018, I have never sprayed in the spring/summer.

218c7bf59775e4f13b1ed183fbf2e29a.jpg

I’m planning to spray and plant when time/weather permits in August or September. Should I add 24d or Triclopyr to my usual 2-4 quarts/acre of Gly?

Zone 6b, elevation 3k, western NC mountains.

If I can’t figure it out this fall I may terminate the cool season crop in May 2023 and plant a heavy summer crop in hopes to smother the summer annuals/perennials.

I’ve had better luck with triclopyr than 2-4d. Anything that seems “woody” the triclopyr will smoke. Also no plant back interval with the triclopyr.

x2 to what Omicron said