2024 Scion Exchange

Where are you guys ordering rootstock?

Where are you guys ordering rootstock?
I've ordered from Cummins, Fedco, 39th Parallel, Burnt Ridge and Maple Valley. Most are sold out of standard size rootstock (Burnt Ridge may still have some).

I have been watching and reading this site for several years but never joined but finally pulled the trigger and joined today. I would like to trade for or buy these apple scions
Chestnut crab
Kerr
Drop Tine
30-06
Big Dog

I would have these scions to offer or money
Apples
Goldrush, Gallarina, Freedom, Enterprise, King David

Pears
Warren, Moonglow, Becton, Dixie Delight, Gate, Mckelvey, Ms Laneene, Senator Clark and T. S. hardy

I know some have offered the ones that I am after but I am not for sure how to contact an individual from this site as of yet. So please contact me, any help would be appreciated

I have been watching and reading this site for several years but never joined but finally pulled the trigger and joined today. I would like to trade for or buy these apple scions
Chestnut crab
Kerr
Drop Tine
30-06
Big Dog

I would have these scions to offer or money
Apples
Goldrush, Gallarina, Freedom, Enterprise, King David

Pears
Warren, Moonglow, Becton, Dixie Delight, Gate, Mckelvey, Ms Laneene, Senator Clark and T. S. hardy

I know some have offered the ones that I am after but I am not for sure how to contact an individual from this site as of yet. So please contact me, any help would be appreciated
Click the username of the use who had what you want and hit the "start a conversation" button. You'll get a private message. There's a letter icon near the top of the page, which is where you access the private messages/convos.

mehrabyan nursery in ithaca has all kinds of roostock in stock. Anty, M111, M7, B118, and G890.

I’d like to trade for a few apple and persimmon scions.

Scions I'm looking for:
Asian Persimmon (diospyros kaki) and American Persimmons scion for human consumption.
Apples
Galarina
Florina
Frostbite
Zestar
Pink Lady
Snowsweet
Williams Pride

Scions I have:
Apple
Arkansas Black
Black Oxford
Crimson Crisp
Enterprise
Fuji (Rising Sun, ripens3 weeks after Gala)
Gala
Ginger Gold
Golden Russet
Honeycrisp
Pristine
WineCrisp

Peach
Contender
Desiree
Hale Haven
Madison (limited quantity)
Fantasia (nectarine)

Pear
Ayers
Olympic (asian pear)

Plum
Santa Rosa
Methley

Feel free to message me directly. I'll update my list as needed.

Last edited:
Snce this thread is about scions. What do you like to do to keep your scions healthy? Put them in the fridge or freezer, wet paper in the bag?

What do you do if the scion material is a tree you have already? You cut them in febuary and put in your fridge? Or do you wait till your rootstock comes and cut them fresh?

Also, what do you do if your grafting to something already outside? Like rootstock planted last year, or top working a tree? Do you graft them when you get it, or wait closer to spring? Average first frost free day here is about may 1st. NY zone 5 borderline zone 6 near a large river.

Snce this thread is about scions. What do you like to do to keep your scions healthy? Put them in the fridge or freezer, wet paper in the bag?

What do you do if the scion material is a tree you have already? You cut them in febuary and put in your fridge? Or do you wait till your rootstock comes and cut them fresh?

Also, what do you do if your grafting to something already outside? Like rootstock planted last year, or top working a tree? Do you graft them when you get it, or wait closer to spring? Average first frost free day here is about may 1st. NY zone 5 borderline zone 6 near a large river.
Scions go into the fridge with no wet paper towel. Moisture will only cause them to grow mold. You can rehydrate your scions the night before you graft by cutting of a small piece from the bottom and soaking them in water. If I'm going to graft something I already have then I will cut scions before spring warmup and store them in the fridge with all my other scions. For grafting outside simply wait until your trees are out if dormancy and growing, some people say wait until the leaves are the size of mouse ears. Hope that answers your questions, if not keep asking. Good luck this season

Thanks for the post. I removed the wet towels in my scion bags. With the warm spells coming up next week, I am going to finish pruning my crossbow tree and put them in the frdge.

My scions from 39th parallel didn't do too great. I contacted him, he said a common mistake is not cleaning the scions. He recommended spraying them with bleach and water and wiping them off after a minute or so.

I have some wodarz, fireside, and some golden spice pear if anyone is looking.