2023 Scion Exchange

Most of the nurseries sell out of persimmon seedlings very fast. Try https://peacefulheritage.com/ . If you wait an entire year MDC is one of the cheapest https://mdc.mo.gov/trees-plants/tree-seedlings/order-seedlings They sell out fast.
I did check out both of the suggested sites and they have sold out of all the persimmon trees, just like you said.

I went down the grafting rabbit hole last year. Was fun and rewarding. I have some posts on it here.

Talk to @Turkey Creek here. He has a tree farm and has given me some great advice. May consider buying persimmon rootstock he advises that would do well in your area and graft several varieties to them this spring. Baby them at home in a root pouch or in ground, then plant them at farm in fall or next spring. You could be producing fruit in 3-4 years.
I sent him a message, thanks

Just for grins I took a picture of this sapling standing just outside the blind that I am sitting in. Plant Snap says it is a common Persimmon. No fruit but, maybe?

Attachments

• IMG_4688.png
    IMG_4688.png
    511.9 KB · Views: 14
Not plant Snap! It was Picture This.

Well, if you have one, you probably have more. Maybe some smaller ones to graft too.

That is what I hoping for. Now I have to be very careful when I am thinning trees.

Skye King<

What usda zone are you in. One of the easiest and fastest to produce trees are apples. Some of the more southern folks have better luck with pear trees.

You can help your oaks out some too. Besides clerancing other trees around it, you can fertilize them. While difficult to do to many, you can water 2 or three by your hunting spot during dry spells.

I did that to my oaks at my old home. A year or two I was the only oak with a good crop in the neighborhood.

One cheesy old trick I did was to cut trees in the winter, expecially late winter. Particuarly maples I wanted for firewood. Cut the tree down, then in a fe days cut the higher limbs down to deer height. Added bonus was deer sheds in the branches. I cut them down a few days before mate muzzleloader season in NY.

Gott be a little creative on a few acres.

I am in zone 8, Northwest Louisiana. I am not too sure about growing apples here but I do have a pear tree that I am going to try to get some shoots from to plant in the woods.

There are plenty of oaks in my woods, white oak, over cup, red oaks, and the acorn crop is great this year. For sure I want to do everything to help those. I have plans to do a lot of thinning to release the canopy. Gonna do some hack and squirt and some hinge cutting after deer season. Just have to take it a little at a time.

I was approved for a controlled burn by the forestry division this year but their doziers had do go in for maintenance which happened during the burn season. so, I missed out on that.

You are right about being creative.

Releasing those oaks is a huge benefit for the little work it takes. Take a saw and girdle them IF you don't have the time to cut them down.

Think we're getting warmer for the 2024 scion Thread................... IT's nice that I got a few to hand out, instead of just getting a bunch.

Are tulip trees worth keeping or are they junk?

I was daydreaming about this while sitting in my deer stand this afternoon and I think that after deer season I am going to buy some Remedy and mix with diesel fuel. Either do some basil bark spraying or hack and squirt. Probably the hack and squirt because it might give a quicker kill.

Time? I am retired and all I have is time. My problem is deciding which project I want to work on today. Actually, I don't know how I got anything done when I was working. There is always something that needs attention.

Scion exchange! I got caught up with the oak thing and forgot what this thread was all about. The persimmon tree I found. Is it a candidate for grafting?

Scion exchange! I got caught up with the oak thing and forgot what this thread was all about. The persimmon tree I found. Is it a candidate for grafting?
General consensus that anything up to about 4" is a candidate. I don't have experience cutting larger ones but it might work to cut larger trees and graft root sprouts. Perhaps others can chime in on that though.

I would first look on the ground and under the leaves around the tree for persimmon "caps". It could already be a female and has dropped all it's fruit already.
Well, if you have one, you probably have more. Maybe some smaller ones to graft too.
I agree with Teeder. You should have other persimmon trees around your property and possibly some that are much smaller. Around here coyotes spread persimmon seeds all over the place through their scat! When I identify a small persimmon tree in a good location, I'll mark it to graft later on.

So far I have only found the one sapling that MIGHT be a persimmon tree. I did look for fruit caps under it today and found none. Gonna watch it this spring to see if it is really a persimmon.

The norm here is to feed the deer corn and everybody does it. I am trying to get away from feeding corn. just planting quality food plots and some fruit trees along the edges.

Not sure if this thread will roll over into 2024, but I just ordered (25) rootstocks for spring 2024. I submitted a late GRIN order which I expect to get denied so i'm going to preemptively start the hunt over here for a few scions.

ISO:
Bramley's Seedling
Grimes Golden
Spigold
Dabinett
Kingston Black
Red Spy
Northwest Greening
Golden Delicious

I have plenty for trade and can provide a list or will pay postage for shipping. Thanks in advance.

I'll have to double check. I do have a Dabinette scion I put on a older tree and I have a 1 year old golden delicious from turkey creek I will prune pretty well. Can take a peek sunday or monday at my house when I get back.

I am looking for late dropping deer or bird crabs. AWHO, Winter Wildlife, Winter Gold, and some of the st lawence varieties like viola and linda sweet I think is the other one. Zone 3 cedar apple rust resistance might be a plus. NY 414 (disease resistant Macoun) would be a nice find too.

I have a couple young Grimes Golden, they have produced enough to know they are true to type. I will have extra.

Last edited: