2014 Grafting Adventures of CrazyED

Just ordered 600 bags of composted manure and 400 bags of pea gravel for my next rounds of planting. You guys with good soil don't ever take it for granted. 55 pounds of watersorb too.

I'm all in!
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: Enough said! I hope you have a strong back or lots of good help!

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: Enough said! I hope you have a strong back or lots of good help!

Since the order is over 40,000 lbs they need to send 2 semis. We will use these supplies over the next 2-4 years. Not all at once. We thought this route is easier than just a dump truck full of either since we don't have a tractor with a loader. We can move a few bags on our ATVs easily over time. Pre-stage everything before we plant.

You certainly live up to your handle, Crazy Ed :D:D and are an inspiration to us all :cool:.

Thanks guys. Go big or go home folks! =)

dunno how many pallets. Our property is gated and fenced and hopefully where we put all the stuff it would be a challenge for anyone to attempt to haul off. It's motivation to get more planted sooner than later.

Dude you rule!

I'd be excited to, cept you have way more purdy trees.

Lucky for me i wont be doing any lifting, not tomorrow at least. Hopefully i can get a few pallets dropped right in my new orchard.

Well, the first shipment arrived yesterday. It really couldnt have gone better. Given the large amount of materials, they were able to drive the semi right onto our property where we wanted the materials dropped off. The guy had the semi unloaded in probably 30 minutes or less. The semi driver and his father actually own a beehive business, they pollinate orchards in wisconsin as well as pecons in california, so if i ever need help with pollinators they would love to help. One more shipment coming at a later date as all the materials were not in yet. I know most of you think i'm nuts but given our sandy soil, this reasonable investment should really help me take my apple growing to the next level over the next few years.

IMG_1695.jpg

IMG_1698.jpg

CameraZOOM-20150801103804626.jpg

IMG_1699.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Matt, nobody thinks your nuts.....................................but we do know your Crazy:D:cool:.

That's great that they were able to drive out on to your land to unload. I have a hard time getting a pickup truck back into some of my orchards:eek:.

Know what I can determine from those pics CE? You picked a good woman to marry :D

Yeah, I sure did. When it was time to buy land from my uncle, no questions. When I told her I was doing this, she was on board. She doesn't spend a lot of time at the farm but she is looking forward to apple picking. And she let's me do my thing.

Does she have a single sister?

I thought I was crazy when it came to habitat stuff. But you win. Congrats and good luck!

So with that many bags of poo and rock, how many trees are being planted next spring?

I guess you plan on planting a few more apple trees! I'm quickly learning that having a hobby orchard can definitely become an addiction.

So with that many bags of poo and rock, how many trees are being planted next spring?

Planning for 40-50 in a single day. Really depends on how many trees in my nursery are what i feel as "ready" to go. I feel of the 100 trees i grafted last spring, at least half of them are 5' tall or larger and getting some very nice feathers. Those ones i think are good to go. Some of the other ones might need another year of babying.

The only thing i really need to buy is some lumite from bigrocktrees. I need 2x500' of the 6' wide stuff. I dont think he has 8' wide....

I've got gravel, manure, watersorb (55lbs), conduit, concrete mesh, window screen.

Planning for 40-50 in a single day. Really depends on how many trees in my nursery are what i feel as "ready" to go. I feel of the 100 trees i grafted last spring, at least half of them are 5' tall or larger and getting some very nice feathers. Those ones i think are good to go. Some of the other ones might need another year of babying.

The only thing i really need to buy is some lumite from bigrocktrees. I need 2x500' of the 6' wide stuff. I dont think he has 8' wide....

I've got gravel, manure, watersorb (55lbs), conduit, concrete mesh, window screen.

Are you meaning trees from 2014 grafts, cuz thats some crazy growth on a 2015 graft. :)

Have you re grafted many that failed in the field? I am gonna have to do quite a few next year and worried about timing and success, perhaps I should just graft a shit ton this spring and hopefully i have enough successes to just transplant where my other grafts failed?

i will be planting the 2014 grafted trees next spring. I havent grafted anything in the field ever really. If the graft fails it never makes it out of the nursery. I re-graft in the nursery and then move to the field when it's ready.

Crap, I'm gonna fail, someone shoot me.

Crap, I'm gonna fail, someone shoot me.

I don't think there is anything wrong if you move them out early. Whatever works for you. I like having full control and the ability to baby the young trees. I feel I can do that better at home. It allows me to put larger, healthier trees out on the farm. I'm in no rush to get them out.