2014 Grafting Adventures of CrazyED

Ed what's your game plan on long term maintenance? Spraying? Training? Pruning? Etc

Ed what's your game plan on long term maintenance? Spraying? Training? Pruning? Etc

Pretty much like i do now, just do what i can. Which is mainly prune/train as much as possible in the first 4 years or so. Right now i only spray as needed. I've tried to focus on low maintenance & disease resistant varieties. If i have more time in the future i may try and spray more, and establish a regular program. but right now i just dont have the time.

I don't think there is anything wrong if you move them out early. Whatever works for you. I like having full control and the ability to baby the young trees. I feel I can do that better at home. It allows me to put larger, healthier trees out on the farm. I'm in no rush to get them out.

Yeah I know what your saying, the whole process is fun, I can't wait to graft again and watch them slowly wake up.

I'd be careful moving early. I luckily only moved a couple of my 2014 grafts this spring to the orchard. Everyone died that I moved and everyone lived I didn't. The rootstock was antonovka from cummins that had little roots to begin with. With just the graft growing all summer, I noticed the graft added little to no roots from when I purchased the rootstock.
I just don't think the tree was able to recover from the shock of being transplanted with such little roots.

I'd be careful moving early. I luckily only moved a couple of my 2014 grafts this spring to the orchard. Everyone died that I moved and everyone lived I didn't. The rootstock was antonovka from cummins that had little roots to begin with. With just the graft growing all summer, I noticed the graft added little to no roots from when I purchased the rootstock.
I just don't think the tree was able to recover from the shock of being transplanted with such little roots.

We all know how you feel about cummins root systems. :)

Here's a few fresh pics from my nursery today. The tallest of the bunch, grafted April of 2014 are pushing just over 77" tall!

CameraZOOM-20150814095818371.jpg

CameraZOOM-20150814095836222.jpg

CameraZOOM-20150814095850259.jpg

3rd or 4th leaf Zestar! on G30 rootstock in my backyard. Only has 5 fruit but the largest is pushing near grapefruit size. I can't wait to eat one of these. Zestar! is probably my favorite apple.
CameraZOOM-20150814100630844.jpg

Here's a few fresh pics from my nursery today. The tallest of the bunch, grafted April of 2014 are pushing just over 77" tall!

CameraZOOM-20150814095818371.jpg

CameraZOOM-20150814095836222.jpg

CameraZOOM-20150814095850259.jpg

3rd or 4th leaf Zestar! on G30 rootstock in my backyard. Only has 5 fruit but the largest is pushing near grapefruit size. I can't wait to eat one of these. Zestar! is probably my favorite apple.
CameraZOOM-20150814100630844.jpg

Great looking trees! Remember when that sudden winter storm accidentally breaks a piece of scion from the tree with a Z to send it to the man in W MI called BV. :)

Great looking trees! Remember when that sudden winter storm accidentally breaks a piece of scion from the tree with a Z to send it to the man in W MI called BV. :)
For his storm damage inspection study.;)

If you need something just lemme know via pm :)

Oh you'll be getting quite a list from some poor kid begging for hand outs from Santa later this year. :)

Just ordered 600 bags of composted manure and 400 bags of pea gravel for my next rounds of planting. You guys with good soil don't ever take it for granted. 55 pounds of watersorb too.

I'm all in!

This is one of the greatest things I have seen on this forum! I have some pretty sandy/gravelly soil around my pond that has a lot of apples as well as food plots. I think it is the spoils from when they dug the pond. A couple years ago, I was looking into bringing in a bunch of compost by the semi-load to improve that soil but somehow managed to control myself! Good to see you going for it.

Delivery for me was only $120 per semi, and they did 2 trips, one totally unattended. Closest menards is an hour away. We paid more for soil and gravel than a dump truck load but moving bags is easier for us since we don't have much for equipment. So for me it was worth the expense. We also bought during their 11% off Sale to save some money.

That sounds like a great deal Ed. I now have a capable tractor with front loader, so I may have to revisit the idea. Always something, can't just be a cheap hobby!

:oops:Corey Peterson in post #344 said this apple tree thing can become an addiction. Preaching to the choir, brother !!! If you look on my forehead, you'll see the " ALL DAY " sign emblazoned there !!! I blame Maya, Stu, Bur, Ben Hooper, Aero & Greyphase. ;) I have it bad .......... :oops:

Crazy Ed is the one who establishes the outer fringe ....... to let the rest of us know we haven't gone over the edge yet !!!!!!!:eek::D

:oops:Corey Peterson in post #344 said this apple tree thing can become an addiction. Preaching to the choir, brother !!! If you look on my forehead, you'll see the " ALL DAY " sign emblazoned there !!! I blame Maya, Stu, Bur, Ben Hooper, Aero & Greyphase. ;) I have it bad .......... :oops:

Crazy Ed is the one who establishes the outer fringe ....... to let the rest of us know we haven't gone over the edge yet !!!!!!!:eek::D
I had 9 tri-axle loads of loam hauled in this spring for the start of my orchard - so I don't think Ed and his two tractor trailer loads of material is crazy seems completely normal to me!

Be careful Corey - if you get lumped into the same category as Ed, you'll become " Crazy " Corey. Don't know if the forum is ready for 2 " Crazies " !!! 9 tri-axles of loam, huh ??? Sounds like an audition for the " apple lunatic fringe " !!!!! ;) :D

T-budded 12 more failed spring grafts today.

3xKerr B.118
3xHarvest Gold Crab B.118
3xWinter Wildlife Crab B.118
3xAnaros Crab B.118

Also have 11 Dunstan Chestnuts that seem to be doing great. These trees are wierd, planted all at the same time. I planted like 6 nuts in a 7 gallon roottrapper bag and 6 nuts in another. Those seemed to emerge first. Then i planted probably another 20 nuts in my garden next to my apple grafts. Those are much more random, I had one pop up probably this week sometime and i just noticed it for the first time today.

CameraZOOM-20150821190323726.jpg

Here's the one that just emerged
CameraZOOM-20150823133542458.jpg

T-budded 12 more failed spring grafts today.

3xKerr B.118
3xHarvest Gold Crab B.118
3xWinter Wildlife Crab B.118
3xAnaros Crab B.118

Also have 11 Dunstan Chestnuts that seem to be doing great. These trees are wierd, planted all at the same time. I planted like 6 nuts in a 7 gallon roottrapper bag and 6 nuts in another. Those seemed to emerge first. Then i planted probably another 20 nuts in my garden next to my apple grafts. Those are much more random, I had one pop up probably this week sometime and i just noticed it for the first time today.

CameraZOOM-20150821190323726.jpg

Here's the one that just emerged
CameraZOOM-20150823133542458.jpg

I had the same thing happen last year. Thought all my Dunstan seeds had rotted in the ground over the winter that I had direct seeded in the fall. Then low and behold I noticed one had geminated in about mid July. I had some direct seeded Burr Oak acorns from this spring just germinate in the last two weeks.

Nursery is looking great. Tallest tree is 85", it's a Sherry grafted in April 2014.

CameraZOOM-20150829120825906.jpg