2014 Berry Picking

West Branch

5 year old buck +
We planted some blueberry bushes this past weekend and we were finding quite a few wild strawberries. Old hayfields can have a ton of strawberry plants but I think birds must get the majority of them. Here are some of the strawberries:

Wild raspberries should be good this year with all of the moisture, still a few weeks away in our area.

Wild blueberries should also be good this summer with all of the snow cover they had last winter. We may try to find some in the bogs in a few weeks.

Has anybody been out picking anywhere? Feel free to share pictures or when berries are maturing in your area.

Everbearing red raspberries planted in my backyard in Northern IL are producing their first crop of the season right now, handfuls every day :D

Last edited:
W.B. - Just yesterday I saw the low-growing type of blueberries were ripe in N.C. Pa. Picked a number of them and boy did they hit the spot! Saw a few dewberries that were just beginning to turn pale pink. Be a while yet for them. Black raspberries are ready now here. Have a bowl of them in the frig. now.

We had a lot of raspberries growing on our land. If it wasn't so hot/muggy/buggy out there I'd have picked some.

The wife and I have been "gorging" :D on the black raspberrys that grow along the edge of the yard.

Nothing like the taste of " wild " berries. And they're FREE!!!

The wife and I have been "gorging" :D on the black raspberrys that grow along the edge of the yard.
I did manage to get 1.5 quarts on July 2nd for a big fat pie(my favorite). They were just turning and only the center berry out of each cluster was ripe. They are probably at peek right now. Sadly I won't be back in time to get anymore.

We had a lot of raspberries growing on our land. If it wasn't so hot/muggy/buggy out there I'd have picked some.

Were they getting ripe up in Cass county or was that somewhere else? I wasn't seeing any ripe ones yet in Carlton county.

W.B. - Just yesterday I saw the low-growing type of blueberries were ripe in N.C. Pa. Picked a number of them and boy did they hit the spot! Saw a few dewberries that were just beginning to turn pale pink. Be a while yet for them. Black raspberries are ready now here. Have a bowl of them in the frig. now.

I haven't picked blueberries close to 10 years, so I am looking forward to find some! Hopefully we get there at the right time which should be late July in our area.

Yep, that was in NE Cass county.

Not bad for the 5 minute nightly pick in the backyard here with planes from O'Hare flying over every 90 seconds or so.

IMG_20140710_210452_932.jpg