2 Good apple trees for us

Bowsnbucks

5 year old buck +
Bonkers ( also known as N.Y. 35 ) and Prairie Spy. Our camp is zone 6 & 5 border. Both trees are really good growers. They've gotten meatier than a lot of our other trees. Our particular location is an isolated one and CAR isn't a problem for us, so I don't know how they'd react in a location where CAR is problematic.

If CAR isn't a problem or it's a minor one, you may want to do a bit of research into these 2. We haven't had FB show up either, thank God. Prairie Spy is listed as extremely cold hardy. FWIW.

Bows,
We added bonkers two years ago and I'm anxious to try it. Chuck says it's supposed to have a good "kick"!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

All four of my Bonkers died back to the graft their first winter. I believe 3 of them grew back above the graft and one is growing from the root stock. That was 4 years ago and have had no issues since. I am either in the clear or I have 4 B.118 trees getting close to apples.

Bonkers has been a great grower for me. Hoping it pumps out a few apples this year!

Bonkers has been a great grower for me. Hoping it pumps out a few apples this year!

And survived our winter.

I had a prairie spay and finally took it out. I got tired of waiting for it to produce apples. It might have been a red prairie spy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our Prairie Spy is from SLN and it's on Antonovka roots. We MAY get a few apples this year. Standard sized trees usually take longer to fruit.

Bonkers is one of the tastiest apples I grow and is prolific. It’s a NY apple for sure

A lot of the Spy varieties can take a long time to fruit if on standard or similar rootstock. I’ve got Northern Spy and am thinking it will end up being a ten year wait but that’s fine I’ve got other trees that are fruiting and think it will be worth the time put in.
Bonkers I’ll have to look into.

I’ve looked hard at bonkers, I just don’t know where to put one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot of the Spy varieties can take a long time to fruit if on standard or similar rootstock. I’ve got Northern Spy and am thinking it will end up being a ten year wait but that’s fine I’ve got other trees that are fruiting and think it will be worth the time put in.
Bonkers I’ll have to look into.
My Norther Spy’s took about 4 years for first fruit and been fruiting ever since. Got mine from Cummins and Boyer Nurseries

My Norther Spy’s took about 4 years for first fruit and been fruiting ever since. Got mine from Cummins and Boyer Nurseries
Mine were loaded on year two and I don’t get apples on anything. Mine were nova spy but apples were great.

H20 at post #8 - I planted our Bonkers in 2013 and it's put on a lot of wood. It's listed as a vigorous grower and it hasn't disappointed in that dept. I saw one apple on it last year and either a camp member picked it & ate it, or a squirrel, coon, or crows got it. That was the first fruit I've seen on it. This year, hopefully, will see more apples on it so I can report on it here.

It seems to be more of a "woody" tree with thicker branches, as opposed to thinner, "whippy" branches. Beefy is the word I'll use. Might be a good variety on standard roots for our bear population ?? A little spray for bugs is all it's been babied.

What rootstock is yours on?
Mine are also from Cummins on M111, they have grown well and flower but no sign of fruit they have been in ground four years now.

What rootstock is yours on?
Mine are also from Cummins on M111, they have grown well and flower but no sign of fruit they have been in ground four years now.
Not exactly sure but will check. Nova Spy is a bit more disease resistant and better tasting apple in my opinion but many say Northern better for cider and pies

Northern Spy is a noted late fruiter. I don't know if rootstock choice improves that or not.

Another newer variety that is out NY-414-1
I think it was recently named Early Macoun, cross between Liberty X MacSpur may have potential as a good wildlife and camp tree. Very disease resistant and supposed to do well further north.
I put one in to try that is on P18 four years ago and have been very pleased with the vigor and growth, no fruit yet but am looking forward to tasting it and seeing how the wildlife like it.

Another newer variety that is out NY-414-1
I think it was recently named Early Macoun, cross between Liberty X MacSpur may have potential as a good wildlife and camp tree. Very disease resistant and supposed to do well further north.
I put one in to try that is on P18 four years ago and have been very pleased with the vigor and growth, no fruit yet but am looking forward to tasting it and seeing how the wildlife like it.
I think I may try that. Sounds good as I love Liberty

Northern Spy is a noted late fruiter. I don't know if rootstock choice improves that or not.

I would think that on dwarfing rootstock it could maybe shorten up the fruiting time some.

I have a NY Bonkers on B118 that was on its sixth leaf last year and it finally produced a few apples. I purchased mine from Cummins and they describe it as an improved Liberty.

My tree is a great grower and is very thick and stought. The apples look just like Liberty but are more tart. I think it will be a good cider tree.

Last edited: