Apple Trees for Deer

sandbur

5 year old buck +
a2c3071742677fbd452b64c9ed9cdbfc.jpg

These are the trees I would recommend for feeding deer from August and well into February. This location is where USDA zone 3 and 4 meet.

We can get into the specific discussions a bit later if needed. The trees are hardy and relatively disease free. I have lots of CAR here.

Chestnut crab would be a great choice for the Wisconsin and Minnesota bow openers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And they are the tastiest crab apple ever!

And they are the tastiest crab apple ever!

Not necessarily, unless you are talking about the chestnut crab.

Yes, chestnut crab. Your pic isn’t loading for me. What variety is the pic of?

I favor applecrabs for deer. Norland is the earliest to ripen and usually drops in mid August or even earlier. It is extremely hardy and just a bit larger than the applecrab (2 inch) definition.
0af85586d3870ce3118c81b5bb07f5c3.jpg

ace6ac60b1ac568e212bf898f7f7cce6.jpg

Trailman and Centennial apples are about the same size. The Centennial tree tends to be a bit short for a deer tree.

Trailman is a better choice. It has been disease free for years, but in 2020, it had a bit of fireblight.

Chestnut Crab is not ripe in this picture. It usually starts to fall about the first week of September and drops for a 3-4 week period. It will occasionally hold fruit into the winter.

Yes, chestnut crab. Your pic isn’t loading for me. What variety is the pic of?

Do you see the list in the original picture?

Now I see the pic - great list as I have many of them.

Curious, why not Kerr on B118?

Grafted dolgo starts to drop about Labor Day. It is extremely hardy and about 1 inch in size. It has a heavy drip early and can carry apples into the winter.

Haralson has been extremely hardy and has shown little disease. It is larger and not an apple crab. Still worthwhile to plant.

2bed523488a710991a95d57ec819defc.jpg

Here is a picture of Kerr with one of my seedlings. Kerr starts to drop about mid October and has held apples well into the winter for me.

I have had troubles getting Kerr on B118 to a large enough tree for deer purposes. I would suggest trying another rootstock and maybe even stripping all blossoms off for a few years to encourage taller growth.

I stripped the blossoms off of the central leader and tied the leader up as the heavy fruit load was tipping the leader.

2bed523488a710991a95d57ec819defc.jpg

Here is a picture of Kerr with one of my seedlings. Kerr starts to drop about mid October and has held apples well into the winter for me.

I have had troubles getting Kerr on B118 to a large enough tree for deer purposes. I would suggest trying another rootstock and maybe even stripping all blossoms off for a few years to encourage taller growth.

I stripped the blossoms off of the central leader and tied the leader up as the heavy fruit load was tipping the leader.

64a76136aae6dc562d6a5edeb142a3ce.jpg

Kerr central leader tied up.

Now I see the pic - great list as I have many of them.

Curious, why not Kerr on B118?

I was posting. My Kerr on better soil is taller. I would also think a rootstock that does not encourage fruiting at a young age might result in a taller tree.

d897f0a0fe97b962da72d70dd12e385e.jpg

Golden Hornet has held fruit well into winter. As I was pruning today, March 4, I knocked some fruit off of it.

It appears to be a great winter food source.

This list is approximately the same as one I prepared for Ryan at Blue Hill Wildlife nursery.

I am not financially involved with Blue Hill in any way. He provides some of these trees.

Just to be clear, I do not profit from sale of these trees.

I have been working on a shortened list that skips the August drops and Haralson. For some reason, I can’t get the picture to load.

Grafted dolgo starts to drop about Labor Day. It is extremely hardy and about 1 inch in size. It has a heavy drip early and can carry apples into the winter.

Heavy drop, not drip. Dang spell check.