17000 board feet of white and red oak

Greta&Gus

5 year old buck +
The loggers have been hard at work taking out mature white and red oak off of our place. Here are a number of the logs stacked up to be shipped out. The tops are being left in the property for firewood and cover/food.
trees1.jpg trees2.jpg trees3.jpg

Wow, nice.... Looks like a great Christmas in store for everyone this year!

PS: I love the conifer trees in the background.

Food and cover all in one cut.
trees6.jpg Opening up some canopy in our food plot.
trees5.jpg The 'old' logging road is now the 'new' logging road. One of my most productive stands is in the picture on this road but is covered by the trees. I love this 'secret spot' and shot a nice 3 year old here in 2010.trees4.jpg

Was that a select cut

Very much a select cut. Oak wilt has been spotted close to our place. We got some of our older oaks out to open canopy and still get value before they are dead/worthless. We still have quite a few left and they will be back next year to do the same.

Did you have any veneer trees?Looks like some of them didn't have limbs

Nice looking logs

Did you have any veneer trees?Looks like some of them didn't have limbs
I don't know off hand if any were used for veneer.

What are your management plans after the logging?

What are your management plans after the logging?
Continued hinging and hopefully thicken the woods up. The area they logged is the heart of our best hunting on the property. After hinging next month I don't plan on walking the area until after next season. They cleared enough canopy in one of our food plots that will allow us to expand it While we discontinue planting two plots on the southern portion of the property. I consider it focused efforts. We are only working on 80 acres of our 280.

What makes a log a "veneer log"?

I believe when I sold my walnut it was 9ft with no limbs and then a width measurement on a log.It also meant a 2000 dollar tree VS a couple hundred dollar tree.They told me they had a machine that could cut veneer sheets thin enough they could cover a business card with it and you could still read it through the wood

Back to top....Was this in MN or Wisconsin? Did you get multiple bids?

I don't have that many oaks in total on my place :(

Back to top....Was this in MN or Wisconsin? Did you get multiple bids?
This is in MN. The logger we used has been friends with my Grandpa for a long time and has done logging work for us a number of times in the past. There was no way another logger was going to do the work. I think he got around 5k for the cut. I did talk to one of the loggers briefly this fall and he said they plan on pulling the same number of oaks next spring.

Almost all of the logging work will be taking place on our eastern 80 of our 280 with some work into the middle of our place. While time goes on we are kind of creating three different layouts within one property. Our eastern 80 will have very few mature burr oaks but will have young burr oaks with 2 large hinging areas. Our center and western 80s are mature red oak and maple trees with very little cover. Finally our southern 40 is 8 year old poplar cutting.

Great idea creating different layouts and aged forest on your parcel.

That's a good idea. Diversity of cover.

Uneven age classes is a great way to get biodiversity and different habitat types. Sounds like you've got a good plan for the place.

The different habitat types was not intentional, per say, but has worked out well. Out of 280 acres we really only have 80-100 good deer habitat in my opinion. The rest is very 'park like'.

Savanna is good within reason, but you need the tall grasses that go with it. I'm hoping to create some on my place to grow larger crowns and produce more mast, as well as create a view of my rolling landscape around where the house is. It'll also double as a fire break.