Your Best Apple!

Wow, cool. No fences? Where are the deer!

If there are any deer around, they're FEW and far between in that area of the state. If they had many deer, they'd have the whole orchard fenced.

There are several orchards in the area that run into each other and none are fenced, which isn't a surprise. It did surprise me to see the nurseries not fenced. DSCN2059.JPG

My new favorite apple is Priscilla. The taste is just perfect for me, and it is the most DR apple I have ever grown. FB and CAR doesn't seem to touch it at all. The ones I have are on MM 111 rootstock.

That sounds pretty good. Where did you purchase those trees if I can ask?

Mo, my trees came from a place in North Carolina called Big Horse Creek Farm. But, I see that apple for sale at some other places too. It was a cultivar that came out of the PRI apple program, but its is widely available now. It is more DR than Liberty here on my place, and the taste is much better to me.

Merry Christmas - Steve

I wonder if they really don't have it anymore or if they accidentally left it off when they updated the web site......

Or if their next batch of Priscillas ( grafted ) are a year from being big enough to sell?? Do they even DO their own grafting Native??

Or if their next batch of Priscillas ( grafted ) are a year from being big enough to sell?? Do they even DO their own grafting Native??

Yes, they do it all. And they will graft scions that people send to them

I wonder if they really don't have it anymore or if they accidentally left it off when they updated the web site......
Steve, do you have any scions to trade? Priscilla sounds like a winner, although I'm not sure how hardy it is. Got any zone info on it?

Steve, do you have any scions to trade? Priscilla sounds like a winner, although I'm not sure how hardy it is. Got any zone info on it?

Ed, I have never checked on the zone information, but there should be some info on the internet.

A guy who is a member of this board and lives about 20 miles from me is coming over sometime this winter to get some scions. He is just starting to get into grafting and I told him he could get whatever I have that he wanted. My oldest Priscilla was a 4th leaf this year, so I should be able to take several scions from it. If you check and find the zone is okay for you, send me a PM sometime and I will mail you some scions when he comes over.

The tree had a small crop of apples on third leaf and another small crop on 4th leaf, and even though some other varieties around it had some CAR and FB, this one was completely clean with no spraying. I'm really sold on the apple - at least for my area.

Take Care - Steve

For an apple that looks like such a solid 'deer apple', there is surprisingly little written about it. FWIW, Fedco says it'll grow in Zones 4-7.

For an apple that looks like such a solid 'deer apple', there is surprisingly little written about it.

I've had the same thoughts.... Maybe because its not as large as a lot of other popular cultivars, but its not a small apple either - kind of medium sized.

For an apple that looks like such a solid 'deer apple', there is surprisingly little written about it. FWIW, Fedco says it'll grow in Zones 4-7.

Did some searching and found the link below. This explains a lot. Looks like shelf life is good but not good enough for true a true commercial apple. That doesn't bother me because mine get eat up and don't need long storage.:D

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/pri/coop04.html

Last edited:
Thanks, Native for that link about Priscilla.

Thanks, Native for that link about Priscilla.

You're welcome. I'm glad this discussion came up, because I had never read that about the nursery getting the trees mixed up and selling the "wrong Priscilla." What a bummer for the people who bought and planted it. That would be like paying for an Elvis concert and getting Boy George...LOL.

Maya

Your asian pears should bear in year 3 and get really moving in year 4. Mine are from Cummins and Adams and all are now fruiting but not as big as store pears. Boyer's nursery is awesome and they gave great trees. They sell a lot to Conservation Districts here for their tree sales and I have been impressed. I think my favorites are Cortland,HC, Macoun and Arkansas Black but I have so many apples that are amazing. I tasted my first Hudsons Golden this year and it was fabulous Too many good apples to pick only one

Dang it! Totally missed out on the Minnesota Apple Growers Convention yesterday at the La Crosse Center. I did read some posts on a few web pages that said SweeTango was still the "media darling", but a few new varieties were set for production this fall. Apparently Asian pears were all the rage as well. I attended a couple years ago and it was a very informative show, and you get to try lots of locally grown apples. The UofM is also developing a new apple cross with HC and something from Arkansas that is supposed to be better in the warmer climates, but it is early in the testing stages for DR and such. Maybe the guys in the south will have something better to plant in a few more years?

Last edited:
4 weeks before Honeycrip? That's awfully early. Mine mature Sept 10-12. I can't imagine Aug. 10 for a high quality apple.
Did you mean spray to delay ripeness and extend picking times? Do you have a link to info on it?