Your Best Apple!

M

MoBuckChaser

deleted

Last edited by a moderator:
Chestnut crab is the best apple I can grow.

Northern grown honeycrisp is great, but not worth the effort for me.

I tried a couple of Kinder Crisp and they might compete with the chestnut crab for my favorite.

I like low maintenance in apples.

I like a good Fuji. Extremely sweet and oh so delicious!

Arkansas Black is probably my favorite.

Honeycrisp is my favorite eating Apple. Planted 2 an they aren't doing worth a crap. Liberty's have put on triple the grown.

For now Cripps Pink followed by Sweet Tango ..... but I am always on the look out for a new one! :) I never get tired of trying new apples.

I've wanted to try the Sweetango, haven't yet. I did try another club apple, Pinata. I didn't like it as much as Fuji. I just love that super sweet taste of the Fuji! Pinata had an almost sour taste, to my taste buds anyway.

I am hooked on Sweetango. I just have to keep them away from the kids at $2.69 a pound.

Gosh I had my first sweet tango last night and honestly didn't think it was all that great o_O. I like my honeycrisp and fuji's, but in the process of trying others to see what I like.

Gosh I had my first sweet tango last night and honestly didn't think it was all that great o_O. I like my honeycrisp and fuji's, but in the process of trying others to see what I like.
I guess taste differ, I like them better than Honeycrisp. Although I do like both.

Honeycrisp, Ida Red, and a FRESH-PICKED Northern Spy are my favorite apples to eat. Spy tends to lose a little tang as it sits around. Store - bought Braeburns are not good here. Probably sat in a warehouse for some period of time. Fresh-picked probably better.

Honeycrisp, Macoun, Liberty and Zestar! for eating. HC for eating, but Macoun and Zestar!s for pies. Once my customers try Zestar!s they are hooked! I sell them out quick in August.

Gilb y's used to have two locations and I think one went out of business. I contacted the one that went out of business. Cousins or some sort of relationship between the two.

Fibrous root system, winter hardiness, large size at maturity

The ability to thrive in sandy soils like mine. Depending on variety b118 is also an early producer. I have 5 different varieties that produced in just their 3rd year, all these trees were whips when planted, and I planted them in a year of extreme drought. Again if you've seen pictures of my soil, it's an impressive thing.

As a back-up root for heavier clay soils - MM-111. I spoke to the Penn State professor who's the head of the Ag.- Tree fruit program and he suggested MM-111 for heavier clay type soil where my camp is. He said it's probably the best one for soil of that type, it's cold, heat, drought tolerant and has good disease & pest resistance. The apples we've planted at camp on that root have done real well. We have B-118 trees as well and they've done well too. I think the B-118 has the advantage in SANDIER soils from all I read & hear.

Mo - If you can't find trees on B-118 for your heavier soil location, maybe try a tree or 2 on MM-111. I know the nurseries sell out of stock pretty quick - especially B-118 for the deer plot guys.

Mo - I have 3 nurseries that have MM-111 trees in several varieties. Adams County Nursery ( ACN ) 800 - 377 - 3106. Ask for Jen Baugher. Great trees, big place.
Fedco - ( 207 ) 426 - 9900 and Boyer nursery ( 717 ) 677 - 8558. ACN & Boyer are in Pa., Fedco is in Maine. Cummins in N.Y. you probably have heard of on this forum. They have 'em too. ( 607 ) 592 - 2801.

MO I sent you a PM.

Mo - N. Missouri is z-5 and the 2 nurseries from Pa. are z-6. Cummins in N.Y. is zone 5 as well. Fedco in Maine is zone 4 or 5.

I planted a bunch of Liberty, Enterprise, and Arkansas Black on B118 in NEMO this spring. Started as 30-36" whips. They are all around 7-8' now. Great year for planting trees, planted 20 bareroots, no watering, and 100% survival so far.

Mo - I have 3 nurseries that have MM-111 trees in several varieties. Adams County Nursery ( ACN ) 800 - 377 - 3106. Ask for Jen Baugher. Great trees, big place.
Fedco - ( 207 ) 426 - 9900 and Boyer nursery ( 717 ) 677 - 8558. ACN & Boyer are in Pa., Fedco is in Maine. Cummins in N.Y. you probably have heard of on this forum. They have 'em too. ( 607 ) 592 - 2801.
I was down in Pa the summer before last and went to both ACN and Boyer's. Both very impressive. We stopped at ACN to get a couple things while we were there but they were closed. Jen just happened to stop by and got us everything we needed. That's good service! Boyer's is absolutely one of the most picturesque orchards I've ever seen. Here's one of ACN's nursery........ DSCN2057.JPG