You ever drive yourself crazy looking for a new spot .....

The way I do it is different than most. I have stands everywhere, some stands we may only sit in once a year, some a bunch, others may be every other year. I think we have almost 55-60 stands out right now. I try and use the wind given that day to my advantage and hunt the appropriate stand. I ain't much on scent killer soap, expensive clothes or boots. Since I bought in a very high DPSM area, I can get away with more crap than a guy with only a 7 DPSM area. If I bump a buck during the rut, 2 more will come by. I hunt the rut, right in the doe's bedroom, not the edges. I trust the morning thermals to carry my scent straight up for a few morning hours, then I may have to change stands, if the wind is not right for the one I am in. Otherwise I stay put all day!

Is my way the right way? For me it is, won't be for the experts, but I have plenty of bucks I let walk on video saying my way works for now!

I am very similar in my approach with regard to a lot of stands and some may not even get hunted each year. I do watch scent as much as possible. The only bad thing about it for me is trying to keep stands in safe shape. Do you try to take them all down each year, or are they ladder stands?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We have a lot of ladder stands. At 57 years old, it only makes sense. But we still have some hang on stands that we add a extra ratchet strap to every year. Always keep 2 straps on them each year, with one strap being a new one. I do not have time to take stands down every year. We just try and maintain them or switch them out with a ladder stand if we have time.

I'm 58 and the old back can't take the climbers anymore. I used them for years and just hugged the tree to climb with them. Now it's just ladder stands for me and it makes me look closer to sign & patterns of movement for placement. I do the new strap thing too, Mo. I add a new one and get rid of the oldest one from 2 years prior. I have last year's strap and the new one. I don't want to be kissing the ground !!!

I dug out the old climber last season because I wanted to sit in a spot that I hadn't gotten a ladder stand in.
Futile...by the time I was up the tree I came right back down soaked in sweat went home and got a shower.

Ladders only for me.

We have a lot of ladder stands. At 57 years old, it only makes sense. But we still have some hang on stands that we add a extra ratchet strap to every year. Always keep 2 straps on them each year, with one strap being a new one. I do not have time to take stands down every year. We just try and maintain them or switch them out with a ladder stand if we have time.

What do you use for access to your hang on stands, climbing sticks, steps or hang on steps? I am normally more concerned about the access. I started using a new system that has me tied in from ground to stand and back, but prefer to not test it. I too put new straps on the stand. Steps can come out as tree rots, and the hang on climbing sticks have straps that need replaced. I think climbing sticks from the ground up are the best.

What do you use for access to your hang on stands, climbing sticks, steps or hang on steps? I am normally more concerned about the access. I started using a new system that has me tied in from ground to stand and back, but prefer to not test it. I too put new straps on the stand. Steps can come out as tree rots, and the hang on climbing sticks have straps that need replaced. I think climbing sticks from the ground up are the best.

I personally have become a fan of the mini ladders that various places sell, I usually get mine at Menards for under $50 a set. Four sections that slide together and then are held with pins makes a ladder I would guess that is between 15' -20' tall. They have enough flex that they will conform to a tree to some extent.

Yep, mini ladders for me as well. We do have a few trees that still have the screw in tree steps that you cant get out now. My fault on that. I just bought 3 more ladder stands on the way down today. Hopefully we can get all the hang on's fazed out over the next year. All except the eagles nest stand. I have not found a ladder stand that can go 28' in the air yet!

My preferred type of hunting is bowhunting. I've always found cover to be more important than height once you get to about 15'. I found that hang-on stands with independent climbing stick sections allowed me to position stands with the best cover. They allow me to climb around branches and use trees that are not straight which often provide the best cover. Most ladders require a fairly straight tree and climbers require a straight tree with a no lower branching and have a fairly narrow range of tree diameters. I do like climbers as scouting stands. The allow me to observe deer movement from a distance which can help with selecting the best tree for a hunting stand.

I'm getting old enough and dealing with arthritis so that safety is now taking priority over other concerns. The nosebleed acrobatic access stands of my youth are now in my rear view mirror. I'm in the process of removing hang-on stands and moving to permanent stands, ladder stands, and blinds.

Even with ladder stands, being tethered from the time I leave the ground is important even with ladder stands. I typically run a line from above the stand to the ground and use a prussic knot for that.

Thanks,

Jack

I replaced the straps on my climbing sticks with 6' sections of chain. It gives me more confidence than any strap that I have had for years.

Any new stands purchased will be ladders. I like tall ladders with double rail steps.

I like ladder stands for another reason too ...... I make NO NOISE going in or coming out !! The climbers I used would make scraping noises going up & down the trees - not good for stealth !! With ladders, I can tip-toe in and be up on the platform with about 98% less noise.