All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wow

Terrific_tom

5 year old buck +
upload_2015-4-1_7-49-17.png
DNR using car kill assessments, research, and winter severity index to help set Antlerless only Season in Waupaca County
By Central Office April 1, 2015
MADISON - In order to bring the deer herd in Waupaca County to recommended numbers the 2015 deer hunting season will be limited to Antlerless only. This decision was made due to the high number of deer complaints in Waupaca County in 2014. The complaints included Agricultural, Forestry and Car collisions. The mild winter and the expected deer population explosion has caused the DNR to enact the Antlerless only season under Emergency rules and will only be in effect for the 2015 season.
For more information about deer management and health in Wisconsin or the winter severity, visit the DNR web site at dnr.wi.gov and search keywords "deer."
FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT: Buck Only, 608-555-5555

Cough......... Wow that is going to be something. ;)

Now don't go getting NoFo all fired up.

Well on the bright side next year should be a banner year for trophy bucks :D

That's a good one TT

Nice 4/1 play.

I just copy and pasted this into my e-mail and changed the counties and sent to a few people. Hoping to get a rise out of them.

Here's the version I emailed out.... I modified it slightly.... Great idea!

DNR using car kill assessments, research, and winter severity index to help set Antlerless only Season in Chippewa County

ByCentral OfficeApril 1, 2015
MADISON - In order to bring the deer herd in Chippewa County to recommended numbers the 2015 deer hunting season will be limited to Antlerless only. This decision was made due to the high number of deer complaints in Chippewa County in 2014. The complaints included Agricultural, Forestry and Car collisions. The mild winter and the expected deer population explosion has caused the DNR to enact the Antlerless only season under Emergency rules and will only be in effect for the 2015 season.

7 additional counties are under review and being considered for antlerless only. Those counties include Buffalo, Clark, Eau Claire, Jackson, La Crosse, Monroe and Trempealeau.

For more information about deer management and deer heard health in Wisconsin or the winter severity index, visit theDNR web siteat dnr.wi.gov and search keywords "deer."
FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT: Buck Only, 888-WDNRINFo

It was basically the DNR threatening the areas with 40+ DPSM into forcing them to shoot more does. Most of those types of areas are primarily privately owned, so herd management is taken out of the hands of the DNR to an extent. This rule is how they would overcome that. The threat of this rule being forced upon hunters is exactly why the Buffalo Co CDAC Committee voted to decrease their deer numbers, even though they already have a lower DPSM than Waupaca or Shawano Co's. Waupaca and Shawano CDAC's apparently didn't have the foresight to help themselves, and even though this is a funny Fool's Day joke, it wouldn't surprise me if it happened sometime in the near future for both those areas. When that happens, all the barstool deer managers will be sitting in the local pubs crying in their PBR's and complaining that the DNR is picking on them. Contrary to popular barroom beliefs, no one "needs" 40+ DPSM.

Check your calendar folks!

When a press release comes out in August that looks like that for your area, then you have something to worry about.;)

I think these MN guys would all fall over from instantaneous combustion? Good gag!

I would love it if my county in MN took a year off from deer hunting period!!

This concept would backfire big time for license revenue and antlerless reduction. 94% of Waupaca is private. You cant push a rope. Many would not hunt, we would take the same antlerless quantity and it would be great buck hunting the next year. EAB on steroids.

I can't imagine just giving up hunting because I could not shoot a buck. Are people that antler obsessed?

I can't imagine just giving up hunting because I could not shoot a buck. Are people that antler obsessed?

My guess is that some would not buy a license but the majority after bitching would buy their license.

Sorry Bob but if they want to control the herd they should let my Amish neighbors in.