All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wood duck houses

Cleaned one of mine out and it was a bout 1/2 full of small 2-3" twigs. Would a duck have put these in there?
No that would be a critter of some sort. Probably a squirrell. Wood ducks just use their down and the wood shaving that are already in there.

Chuck

You guys are so far ahead of me, still snow on the ground and more coming for the weekend, it will be a while before I get to clean out the boxes, I did not have any success last year in any of my boxes. Had eggs in 2, but they were not successful, hoping for better luck this year.

Anyone have nest box tenants yet ?

I checked two weeks ago and had nothing.

I was up there yesterday, but didn't get back to the pond. I did see a pair on the pond earlier, but didn't see either fly in the boxes

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

I've had a few pairs hanging around but I haven't noticed any activity in the boxes yet..... Not even European Starlings, which is good

I finally managed to get to a couple of my boxes, tried last week, got stuck in the snow, got stuck in the mud and tore up my road bad yesterday, then had to walk for 2 miles to get to them. Thought I had better since our little river is finally ice free so I hope somebody enjoys the new shavings soon. It looks like none of my boxes were successful last year for some reason. Had feathers in 2 and 7 eggs in one. A word of advice if you find old eggs in a box, do not break them when cleaning out the box

Just checked one of my boxes and it looks like I have a hooded merganser using this box.
There was a drake woody standing on top of this box when I walked up to it and then saw a woody hen fly out of box but these eggs do not look like woody eggs(too big and white).

384fdf839696342d9254088454a8dcb4.jpg

I just put a camera up watching a box yesterday, hopefully I'll get some good pics.

Another white egg in my only active box and now I am convinced that they are hoody eggs. Just got this picture of the hooded mergansers and the wood duck house is in the right side of pic(through the cattails)

Another white egg in my only active box and now I am convinced that they are hoody eggs. Just got this picture of the hooded mergansers and the wood duck house is in the right side of pic(through the cattails)

That's still pretty darn cool. I'd be happy to have anything using my duck house at this point.

Checked my boxes yesterday but no activity yet. I see a few pairs on the ponds off and on, all times of the day, so I'm hopeful they will start nesting soon. The hen that nested (but failed) last year didn't start laying until the first of May

Took a walk around the ponds today found a single wood duck egg just laying along the edge of back pond and a goose egg just sitting out on top of the grass about thirty yards from the front pond.
Must be some weird egg dump thing?

Took a walk yesterday and forgot to check my woody boxes, but checked my cams that were on/by the boxes....had my mind on the stupid f'n deer ticks that were out in full force and forgot to look in the boxes. Saw a goose sitting on a nest in the middle of a cattail sh!t hole,.would love to get a cam on the nest but would need a canoe. I have tons of wood ducks here but things seem a couple of weeks behind. Wood ducks just arrived here about a week ago according to my cams and I have tons of pics this past week.

Checked the box with the hoody eggs and she flew out as I was walking up to it. Looks like she is done laying eggs and now she is sitting.

911f8277ca8384909603cb924c2a1e1b.jpg

Last edited:
^^^ that's a beautiful sight

^^^ that's a beautiful sight

It is like the eggs are sitting in a bowl of down and cedar wood chips. The pic doesn't show the "bowl" depth very well. The down and cedar chips are up about two inches.

This is the first time that I have had a hoody using a box...kind of cool.