All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wood duck houses

bueller

How many of you guys have wood duck houses on your properties? I want to put my first one in this spring as soon as the ground thaws enough to where I can dig a hole. Any tips or suggestions?

I put some out a few years ago. Made them out of cedar. I put them on the edge of ditches that are about 3-4' deep. They are mounted on 2" galvanized pipes that were about 11' long. I chiseled a hole through the ice and stood on my 4 wheeler rack and pounded the pipes in and then mounted the houses with u-bolts and put cedar mulch/chips in them. Actually cleaned them out last week.

I put some out a few years ago. Made them out of cedar. I put them on the edge of ditches that are about 3-4' deep. They are mounted on 2" galvanized pipes that were about 11' long. I chiseled a hole through the ice and stood on my 4 wheeler rack and pounded the pipes in and then mounted the houses with u-bolts and put cedar mulch/chips in them. Actually cleaned them out last week.
Mine will be on land within sight of a ditch similar to what you described. Have you had successful hatches?

Not that I know of. I had eggs in one box last year and there was an oddball egg in there too and I think the woody abandoned the box. I had a trailcam on the post of that box and had quite a few woodies using that particular ditch.

Fleet farm has them. But my son and I built one together per the Wisconsin Outdoor news specs. We put it over our pond. But never have had ducks in it. Sucks.

I have built 10-12. The ones I placed near water, not over looking water or in water have been more successful. Have had 7-9 duckling hatches.

Make sure there is a 1/4" wire mesh 2-3" strip inside going from box bottom to the hole.

Place 2-3" of cedar chips inside box.

Ad a climb stop like a galv steel funnel or coffee can on the pole to minimize egg predators.

Clean out every February as mice will take over during the winter.

I followed these plans. http://www.outdoornews.com/February-2013/Winter-Project-The-Wood-Duck-Challenge/

Those are the plans(WON)I followed. Luckily, I had all the materials on hand and the cost was minimal. My grandpa had a ton of cedar boards he gave me and I pulled the galvanized pipe out of the old barn on my place.

They ducklings don't have to land onto water. I put my boxes over water for less chance of predators and squirrels wreaking havoc with the boxes.

They ducklings don't have to land onto water. I put my boxes over water for less chance of predators and squirrels wreaking havoc with the boxes.
From what I've read they just need a clear path to the water. Not necessarily a manicured lawn, but not a thick row of inpenetrable thicket growth either.

I thought it was a neat thing to do with my oldest. I made him pound nails while building it. Just wish I could get some ducks.

IMG_0979_zpsjwx4gpww.jpg

IMG_0988_zpsxaadq9f1.jpg

I thought it was a neat thing to do with my oldest. I made him pound nails while building it. Just wish I could get some ducks.

IMG_0979_zpsjwx4gpww.jpg

IMG_0988_zpsxaadq9f1.jpg

Do you have woodies around? I know we have a lot by us so my expectations are high. Of course they may come crashing down a couple months from now.

Do you have woodies around? I know we have a lot by us so my expectations are high. Of course they may come crashing down a couple months from now.

They are around. Some others get them in their ponds but it's a lot more open and probably easier to find. Mine is in a real big block of woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They can be up to a mile from water. Survival rates are probably much higher over water.
That's good to know. If I have success near the water maybe in coming years I could set one close to our cabin so the kids and I can watch the ducks. The cabin is about 1/5th of a mile from the ditch/creek as the crow flies.

Just put a kiddie pool underneath the one in your yard. Problem sovled. ;)
Oh yea, my golden retriever would LOVE that. :D

What does everyone use for baffles? Store bought ones are pricey. I could easily attach the house to a tree but a post with baffle is highly recommended for predator control everywhere I read.

I don't have any on mine. Two of the boxes are on 2" galv pipe and about 5' off the water. Couple other boxes are on 1 1/4 pipe. I dont think coon would be able to climb up the smooth pipes. I haven't seen any mice/squirrel/predator activity in any boxes. I would get a piece of tin and cut it and use it as a baffle. What type of post will you be using?

I don't have any on mine. Two of the boxes are on 2" galv pipe and about 5' off the water. Couple other boxes are on 1 1/4 pipe. I dont think coon would be able to climb up the smooth pipes. I haven't seen any mice/squirrel/predator activity in any boxes. I would get a piece of tin and cut it and use it as a baffle. What type of post will you be using?
I was thinking to use a treated 4x4. Its easy to dig a hole in the sand I have.

You'll have to cut a piece of tin. If I put anymore boxes out, I'm thinking about using 3" or 4" pvc as a post. I think a coon would have a heck of a time trying to crawl up pvc.

Can coons and other predators not climb PVC?